Beer Baroness Bearded Lady Stout

Beer Baroness
Brewed at Pomeroys

Style: Stout
Christchurch, New Zealand

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 3.3/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.09/5   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%

Most RecentTicked By

explosivedog (1184) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - JUN 16, 2017
Taster at GABS Auckland 2017. Pours black. Orange, toast, grapefruit, chocolate. Nice full stout with plenty of roast and some nice citrus hop character too. Very nice.

Cantabrian (1131) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - AUG 16, 2014
UPDATED: AUG 17, 2014 When Dana International won the Eurovision for Israel, he had indeed the best song. One generation later, the Austrian bearded lady won it, but honestly, did he have the best song or was he any near the category of best singer? The guy only won because he was a bearded lady, I reckon. And I regret to say that I wasn’t much impressed by this bearded lady sout either. Great appearance - maximum score - aroma, and palate, but the flavours were lost in hops and herbs. Too bad, as the Garam Masala Stout, by the same brewer, was such a beauty, full of spices, but it does feel pungent herbs do not have a place in this one. A matter of taste, I know, but I still prefer stouts that do taste like a stout.

Jimthechap (2064) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - JUL 6, 2014
Lord knows I love stout and have had a few in my time. Over two thousand of the well known Irish one (yes I have been counting) and several hundred others of varying types of stout. I’m pleased to see a new one done local and loud and was looking forward to it. It appears as typically stouty as stout is: black with a slightly mocha coloured head from handpull at the Twisted Hop, Woolston. Handpull does no end of wonder for stout and this revealed typical stouty aromas of coffee grinds, dark Ghana chocolate and a lick of licorice. This came through in a flavour that wasn’t overwhelming with very gentle bitterness and in short order the pint evaporated (read: I necked it and was looking toward what I was going to demolish next). I don’t want to unduly blow smoke up the arse of the brewer and this pint requires a bit of constructive feedback: for a 5.6% ale it was a little too innocuous in its flavouring. Fair enough if it was of a sessionable abv of around 4%, but the higher abv is a chance to incorporate some more riotous flavours and aromas. In any case, it had an absence of faults and I rather enjoyed it.