overall
RATINGS: 1245   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Artisan Golden Ale. Ale aged in oak barrels. Barrel aged & bottle conditioned. Aged in large oak casks and refermented in the bottle. Oro de Calabaza is brewed in the Franco-Belgian tradition of special golden ales. Spicy and peppery with a gentle hop bouquet and the beguiling influence of wild yeast. Please enjoy our beers in good health, Cheers and Mahalo plenty!

NachlamSie's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
NachlamSie (3523) - Denver, Colorado, USA - AUG 31, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 4, 2013 Bottle. This is the first honest to goodness gusher I’ve opened. We’re talking beer everywhere, non-stop spouting until I poured a glass. Oddly enough, the pour didn’t erupt into foam. Somehow throughout the spray, I got a very nice pour with a level white head. The brew is quite cloudy and light golden yellow. My concern heightened, I take a sniff. Man, it smells great. Awesome! Lots of tart pineapple citrus in the nose along with a tasteful sourness that reminds me of sour grapes. A bit of pepper is noticed too. I didn’t get assertive spiced aromas here, it’s all about the citrus and wild zest. It’s a nice drinker with just a slightly puckering finish. Rich citrus notes carry throughout the drink. Sourdough, pineapple, grapefruit, plantains, mm mm. I’d say this is actually one of the least sour beers from Jolly Pumpkin that I’ve had, with the exception of the Bam Biere. I liked this one quite a bit, but I think I enjoyed the depth of some of their other offerings a bit more.
[December 4, 2013]
750 mL from Colorado Liquor Malt. I need to drink more Jolly Pumpkin. This beer is so full bodied, yet soft, balanced and funky, yet accessible all at the same time. Notes of pineapple, wool, cheese, peppers, citrus and gentle oak are all over the place. The palate is so soft it’s like drinking a liquid pillow. Revisiting this beer has made me pledge to continually consume more Jolly Pumpkin. La Roja, you are next.

Spab (3962) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 19, 2017
750 ml bottle from LCBO. Pours a cloudy golden peach colour with good-sized white head. Aroma is citrus and tree fruits, grains, spice and light earthiness. Flavour has lots of modestly tart lemon, apple and pear, clove, white pepper, graininess and mellow earthy character. Fine carbonation. Quite nice.

AcctError97534 (814) - Ontario, CANADA - AUG 3, 2017
750ml bottle. Cap off, this yeast is alive. Always remember, yeast is alive. As soon as the air hit it, it reached for the sky. Wow. Pours a cloudy pale yellow with a three white cap. Aroma is fermented cider (the real stuff), very faint malt vinegar, a combination of caramelized sugar, yeast, and apple that makes me think "apple fritter", some definite "brett" notes, but to me, really heavy on the apple notes. Wow. Sour, with acidic fruit notes, tart cherry, summer apples, plum, into more tartness, calvados, brett notes, yeast, and a finish that is all unripe fruit with some minerality. I’m impressed, it reminds me of Orval, but minus the "barnyard" that I have difficulty getting past. Two more in the cellar. Looking forward to seeing how they age!

cattaneopapa (410) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 28, 2017
750ml bottle from LCBO. Pours an opaque golden colour with half of finger of white head. Aromas of citrus, apples, and a hint of honey. Taste matches the aroma with a spicy finish. Medium body with moderate carbonation. It’s more comparable to a farmhouse ale than Belgian strong ale.

mikkopen (1183) - Guelph, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 25, 2017
750 ml bottle. Hazy yellow colour, thin white head. Spicy, tart aroma with apples, citrus fruits, woody notes and floral hops. The taste is malty, dryish, with apricot, lemon, earthy notes and a tart, peppery finish. Delicious.

chris__hartley (445) - Ontario, CANADA - JUL 10, 2017
It pours murky copper with a off white head. The aroma has notes of: yeast starter, lemon juice, and bread. The taste is medium sour that finishes lightly bitter. The palate is medium bodied with medium carbonation; the finish is also medium. Overall, a little bland.

daniel0017 (451) - Yukon, CANADA - JUL 9, 2017
Slightly medicinal aroma with notes of... Concorde grape? Hazy golden color and very bubbly like champagne. Flavor is definitely sour with a tingly mouth feelz. Overall great beer, but not my thing. Kudos to Jolly Pumpkin.

Bacchus66 (754) - South Carolina, USA - JUL 6, 2017
From tap. Pours hazy yellow with a full white head with nice lacing. Slight sour nose of lemons, cloves and spice. Flavors are also slightly sour, with peppery fruit and a zesty mouthfeel. Dry, clean finish. Interesting and very good.

Ferris (16067) - Burnaby, British Columbia, CANADA - MAY 26, 2017
Draft - Light soured malts and green apple. Clear pale gold with a small white head. Soured malts and raw barrel.

gyllenbock (9328) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - MAY 25, 2017
Sample at MBCC 2017. Hazy golden with a white head. A bit tart with apricot, citrus, malt and light spices. The body was medium.

svandyke (255) - USA - MAY 19, 2017
Bomber- pours a cloudy straw color. Nice earthy barn smell with some spicy citrus on the back. Nice white head. Spicy sour initially, but it resolves to a refreshing nip of hoppiness.