overall
Brewed by Lao Brewery Co (Carlsberg)
Style: Dunkel/Tmavý
Vientiane, Laos

RATINGS: 317   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.57/5   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%

rw4244 (134) - Bristol, Gloucestershire, ENGLAND - SEP 16, 2006
Bottle, 33cl. Pours a rich, dark amber with a muddy white head of fairly large bubbles. Strong, rich malty and nutty aroma, with notes of grain, chocolate and alcohol. The taste is extremely nutty, leading to a very chewy palate. Notes of coffee with the initial sip, chocolate and grain definitely present. The aftertaste lasts - a nutty/alcoholic bitterness, reflecting the strength of this beer. As mentioned, the palate is chewy and thick in the mouth (you almost want to bite into it...). This may look like a dark lager, but drinks much more like a tropical stout. Amid the hordes of poor Asian lagers this rarely seen brew really stood out to me. Though it may not go down as easily as a beer lao on a hot day, I recommend it.

littletrail (2) - USA - MAR 27, 2008 does not count
It is a great beer. I am prety used to the standard beer lao but this is a quality addition to what they do best. Its a little bitter and heavy but it is a great mix of the pluses of most darks I have head with a lot less drawbacks.

rickyleepotts (104) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - FEB 9, 2013
There are two beers on the list from the Lao Brewing Company. This is one of them, and we grabbed this the other night at Total Wine & More. We spent $100, so we have enough beer to last us a few weeks! I think shopping for beer is my favorite part. Anyway, this beer is brewed in Laos, a small country in Southeast Asia. I need to plan a trip to Asia. There is some great diving over there, and it is a part of the world I have never been. I don’t recall ever having this beer before, but I do like the Euro dark lager style. The tasting notes mention toffee and coffee… and while I do not expect a lot of those aromas (or flavor) I am sure it will be easy drinking and enjoyable. I didn’t realize they used rice in the brewing process. Makes sense, and I will be curious to see if that changes the flavor of the beer. Let’s drink! In the Glass: This is darker than I expected. It has a deep dark red color… almost brown. The head is nice, too. For a beer that I would assume is a domestic to Laos, I didn’t expect it to have much character. But the head is nice and white, and it has a decent lace. Nose: I thought I could smell this as I was pouring it in the glass, but Sheryl was making tea. She is on a tea kick right now… and I will admit, the stuff smells good. Doesn’t taste very good, but smells good. At any rate, this beer smells like a traditional Euro pale lager. Beers like this are typically sweet, and have a lot of different flavors going on. Hopefully this one won’t disappoint. Flavor: That’s actually really good. I am hooked on this home-grown rice thing. A few weeks ago, I had a wild rice double IPA that was amazing. The rice really came through in the flavor. The rice really comes through in this one, too. I can see what they mean about the beer being easy to drink. Bravo Lao Brewing Company. You have just thoroughly impressed me with this release! Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is soft, mellow, and leaves a nice little pillow of flavor on the back of the palate. They claim the rice is what mellows this beer… and if I didn’t know about the rice beforehand, I would comment on how easy this is to drink. I wonder if this beer would age for two or three years. Beers like this shouldn’t, but as mellow as this is, I wonder what it would taste like with seer carbonation. Aftertaste: The aftertaste is solid, as well. There is a hint of malt and some sublet hoppy characters creeping in there. If you didn’t know this beer was over 6% ABV, you could drink 6 of these and not even realize it! Very easy to drink with a lovely flavor. I bet this would also pair well with food. For our first experience with Beerlao Euro Dark Lager, I am very impressed. I will be buying more of this in the near future. I bet this would be a great beer to pair with some brown rice sushi or with an Asian chicken dish.

Bevinbell (1) - - SEP 24, 2016 does not count
Solid Asian lager, great mouth profile, crystal malt flavors, light hops. No rice fillers

Grzesiek79 (4435) - Radom, POLAND - NOV 2, 2012
Smaczne piwo o brązowo-czerwonym kolorze. Ciemne piwa egzotyczne są jednak trochę przesłodzone ale mimo to niezła ciekawostka smakowa

Nekronos (4175) - Xalapa, MEXICO - FEB 16, 2013
Very nice and sweet. Quite dark and strong in taste and features. VEry drinkable and enjoyable.

singaporebob (2) - - AUG 10, 2014 does not count
An interesting - but strong - beer. To my mind its a very pleasant "burnt malt" taste. Dark brown verging on black with little head, but a very full flavour. Body is more largerish, but plenty of punch. LBC is a 50% state owned 50% Carlsberg jv.

RichardGretton (4788) - Leicestershire, ENGLAND - FEB 29, 2016
Bottle@Laos. Browny beer with a reasonable head. The aroma is malty with some bitterness. The flavour is bitter with malty and mild roastedness and yeast. Overall a reasonable dark malty lager.

reggiedunlop (3726) - The dub c, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 9, 2015
Pours a bright amber with a thick off white head...really nice lacing and retention. Aroma has sweet maltiness and a dry mapley/leafy note. Flavor follows suit but is a bit stale and metallic. Mouthfeel is full and silky and the finish is dry and earthy/sweet malty. This is actually very close to being very good!

danielyabu (1708) - União da Vitória, BRAZIL - AUG 3, 2015
average frothy offwhite head, creamy after a while. good lacing. mostly diminishing. clear sparkling thin light brown body. aroma: light hoppy, moderate malt, light coffee, apple and honey. if and ff: moderate bitter sweet (hops, malt and honey). palate: medium body, watery texture, lively carbonation and metallic finish. leve aquecimento alcoolico. sabor frutado. dulçor acima da média. 30s