overall
RATINGS: 242   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.63/5   IBU: 79   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
Fiercely hopped and hopped again, Thumper IPA keeps on going and going. Does it tantalize your tongue?

DrnkMcDermott's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
DrnkMcDermott (3160) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - FEB 20, 2012
22 oz. bomber sold as Rhinelander Boatswain American IPA, $1.99 at Trader Joe’s. Okay, i can respect a beer from Minhas. I took a picture of the bottle with a full glass, and over the past few minutes have been taking in a smell of resiny, almost green hops. Poured a brownish-amber body under a dense white head. Up close, the hop smell lessens, and there’s a bit more malt. Taste is a little better than I’d expect. A lot of pinprick carbonation helps deliver the hops in the form of pine and a bit grass. Nicely managed hops, and just a little bit more than the squeamish would want to try. A great beer for the price. Considering I’ll reuse the bomber if I can ever get homebrewing again, that’s extra value.

downender (8937) - Bristol, Gloucestershire, ENGLAND - DEC 11, 2017
Can as part of the Trader Joe's 'Boatswain' range. Amber in colour, with a slight, white, head. Sweet, heavy malts, rather artificial citrus notes and a boozy, heavy, finish. Not for me.

gripweed57 (2919) - Hamilton Square, New Jersey, USA - AUG 25, 2017
12 ounce can from Trader Joe’s. Labeled as Boatswain American IPA. Amber orange color. Large rocky white head. Faint fruity malt nose. Tart spicy toasted malt flavor has metallic notes. Light hops in finish. Slightly bitter medicinal aftertaste.

luttonm (6858) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUN 30, 2017
Can in Seattle. As Botswain American IPA from Trader Joe’s. Thin cream, light haze creamy brown body. Minty, butterscotch and caramel flavors on nose and sip. Stale caramel and hops. Some esters and bitterness. No delicacy, thin bitterness. Utter meh.

muzzlehatch (4969) - Beloit, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 9, 2016
22 ounce bottle (labeled "Rhinelander Thumper IPA") picked up at Woodman’s in Beloit for the exorbitant price of $2.50 (yes that’s right) and consumed cold from the fridge in a Fitger’s pint glass. Pours an off-white smooth head that dies slowly leaving no sign of it’s passing in the receptacle above the clear fine-bubbled amber body...aroma is resinous/piney and unfortunately a bit buttery (diacetyl), promising something sweet and gooey...on the tongue perhaps not quite as bad as I feared, but very sweet nonetheless, syrupy and near-cloying with not even close to enough bitterness or malt to balance out the pure sugariness; while it does dry out slightly at the finish, it remains a tough go and this bomber ain’t gonna drink itself, and that was it’s only chance to be consumed. I guess there’s a reason they’re selling this line for about half the price of the next-cheapest bombers...I remember when I moved back here 3 years ago, I was excited to find that there was a Rhinelander brewery, the name has always had magic to me from childhood and young adulthood visits "up north". Well, so much for magic.

Ungstrup (38597) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - SEP 12, 2016
Bottled. A dark golden beer with a huge beige head. The aroma has notes of malt, caramel, elderflowers, and fruits. The flavor is sweet with notes of malt, caramel, flowers, and fruit, leading to a bitter finish.

kevinsenn (2294) - Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 5, 2016
Bomber from Trader Joe’s (only$2.50???). Soapy floral aroma. Soapy and fruity taste with a dry medium bitter finish. Good, not great, but the price is more than right!

Generalhabit (3) - - MAY 30, 2016 does not count
I always hate to say this but it's true. For the price, this is a great beer and it comes in a wine bottle. Buckle up partner. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

HighlanderOne (1378) - York, SC via NJ, South Carolina, USA - MAY 7, 2016
Poured from big bottle that I found hidden in my basement. (Boatswain American IPA ). Probably been sitting around for 2 or 3 years.
Aroma of hops, caramel, malt.
Appearance is cloudy dark Amber, bit of head.
Tasting caramel, pancake, pine resin hops, cream, smoke, banana, spice.
Palate is quite tame for something called IPA.
Overall, a very tasty brew, just lacks the bitterness that an IPA should have. Would work better as a brown ale.

Bartzilla (624) - La Mesa, California, USA - JAN 28, 2016
$3 bomber at Trader Joe’s, but it’s called Boatswain American IPA. Again, let me reiterate... $3 bomber of IPA. An at 6.7% it’s probably the best thing to happen to the homeless since St. Ides came to market back in the late 80’s. So, with this in mind, this turned out to be unremarkable, though not as bad as St. Ides. They also have a DIPA for the same price, but I knew I was already pushing the boundaries of taste and self loathing by getting this. That said, it’s not awful and should I embark on hard times, this will be my sauce (or maybe the DIPA... you need milage for the buck when you’re down on your luck). It’s a lame IPA... that’s the depth of my review

coldbrewky (1731) - Hippetown East, New York, USA - OCT 21, 2015
This particular beer was provided by Buddy Alex for the dart tourney in which I particularly dominated. I have this fluid to thank. A decent IPA but it does not stand on the shoulders of giants. Thru Boatswain label via trader joe’s. Mer. Body was a bit on the watery side.