overall
Brewed by Belhaven (Greene King)
Style: Bitter
Dunbar, East Lothian, Scotland
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 1304   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26/5   IBU: 25   EST. CALORIES: 117   ABV: 3.9%
Available filtered and pasteurised in 500ml bottles, nitro-cans (as Draught), and in kegs; usually nitro-kegs.
Also known as Export.
The cask version is known as 80/-.
Note: It appears there are two versions of this beer - 5.2% primarily for the US market and 3.9% mainly for Europe.

badgerben (5374) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - SEP 21, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 26, 2009 Original Rating, September 21, 2002, Bottle:There is an overwhelming nut flavor to it, which personaly I do not find appealing. Other than that, a strong brew. 7/5/5/3/14 Re-rating, May 26, 2008, Bottle: Again, I leave my original rating as a testament on how NOT to do ratings when you start out. Clear dark copper color with a thin head. A nutty and caramel aroma. Tastes of old, stale, earthy hops, and not entirely in a bad way. A little nutty. An almost vegetal hop finish. Not bad. Oddly enough, my original final score still stands.

TheBeerCollector (633) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - SEP 21, 2002
Draft- You can't beat the look of a nitro-draft beer. Eternal thick head covering a dark brown body. I was somewhat surprised (and let down) by the bland flavor of this beer. Nice and easy to drink but it lacks something.

Scotsman99 (7) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - SEP 20, 2002 does not count
Something about a nitro pull that just soothes the back of the tongue. Nice malty mouthfeel with a slightly mild hop finish. Nice one.

Jfishback13 (275) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - SEP 19, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 16, 2003 I had this after Arcadia Starboard Stout, so I might have been corrupted. This beer had the same smokyness, a nice dry finish, a good roasted malt flavor... it just lacked a little something that it's evening predecessor had. A good Ale though.

beerguy101 (5364) - Newark, California, USA - SEP 17, 2002
Medium brown color, medium head. A medium bodied ale. Malty, somewhat nutty taste. There is a smoky undertone. Good hop/malt balance. Mouthfeel is a little thin, slight off taste (undefined). Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter.

morebier4me (140) - New York, USA - SEP 14, 2002
..................................................

morty99 (371) - Maryland, USA - SEP 14, 2002
Amazing scottish ale, and one of my favorite beers as well. Big malty taste with remnants of fresh baked bread lingering in the background. Great with roast chicken or turkey.

HarmonKill-a-Brew (407) - Wilmar, Arkansas, USA - SEP 10, 2002
I don't know why it is, but some beers really seem to lose a lot as far as flavor goes when you pour them up in a glass. This is one such beer... tasted great in the bottle, but when I poured it up to score it for appearance... poof. Slightly yeasty/biscuit flavor. Mouthfeel seemed a bit thin for this style. Pretty good, but I think I will stick with McEwan's. Wait a minute... 3.9% vs. 8%? I KNOW I will stick with McEwan's.

OlJuntan64 (1264) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - SEP 6, 2002
Dark amber to strong tea colour with a very fine bubbled creamy yellow lasting head. Lotsa roasted coffee malts and medium bitter aroma. Thinnish to medium body with a smooth textured medium bitter palate. Flavours are mainly roasted coffee malt and some faint caramel sweetness in the finish. Interesting enough, but I can't imagine myself drink more than one of these in a sitting.

kumite56 (473) - Cordova, Tennessee, USA - SEP 2, 2002
Malty and crisp with a good balance of hopps. A very drinkable beer. Would be a better with a little more of a robust taste but all in all one to drink again. Nice reddish / copper hue with a white head.