overall
RATINGS: 246   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.69/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bell’s Batch 5000 Ale is a smoked strong ale, brewed to celebrate Kalamazoo Brewing Company’s 5000th batch. It is brewed with 26 % German, beechwood-smoked malt. It is very lightly hopped which showcases the rich caramel tones of the malt body that balances the assertive smoke flavor throughout. Batch 5000 would be a wonderful pairing for robust cheeses, sausages and smoked salmon. While drinkable now, Batch 5000 has an ageing potential of several years. The interplay of flavors will mature and develop subtly with time. Avoid any extreme temperatures, and keep at a cellar temperature below 65 °F. Single Batch Release - January, 2002 only.

Re-brewed for Bells 30th Anniversary in 2015

ross (2146) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - DEC 16, 2006
Bottle from Tom (oldgrowth) that he shared with 00cobraR and myself. Pours out a dark brown color without much of a head. Smell is heavy on smoke without much else. Tastes like smoked bacon with cheese in it. I gave my portion to Daniel and Tom because I am not big into these smoked beers. Not my favorite, and the worst beer of the evening for myself. It seemed to have aged alright as there wasnt any presence of oxidation.

SpecialBrew99 (57) - grand blanc, Michigan, USA - FEB 17, 2002
I was really looking forward to this, and I thought it was a dissapointment. Very think, I'm not sure it was even an Ale like it says on the bottle. Had a hint of carmel in it but the thickness of this was just to much for me.

Oakes (18790) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - APR 7, 2002
Muddy colour, no foam; dry smokiness, that to me seems like an unusual type of wood, like pecan or something. Slight maltiness that gets chewy, decent smoke flavours, firm alcohol presence. Different, but I'm not sure where it fits in (a second-tier Adam or Immort?).

bigal9699 (152) - Orange County, California, USA - AUG 19, 2002
Oh my - I thought I ran into another bad bottle of Bell's since I had a 'damaged' bottled-conditioned Porter. This is one strange brew and I cannot really appreciate it. Smells/tastes like meat and smoke. Meat is probably the last flavor I'm looking for in a beer - just can't hang with this.

Alcoholist (570) - Peoria, Illinois, USA - MAR 18, 2004
UPDATED: APR 5, 2004 Like drinking soy sauce. Smokey, salty, not at all pleasant to drink. Dry finish. An acquired taste I'm not going to work at acquiring. Maybe this was a bad bottle.

toncatcher (228) - Santee - SAN DIEGO, California, USA - JUN 4, 2007
Pours amber with a quickly deminishing haed. Aroma of smoke sourness. Not really sure what that means. flavors the same. Not a big fan

bigbish (722) - California, USA - JUL 28, 2008
I wasn’t a fan of this beer when I tried it. It was my first smoked beer and it just reminded me of BBQ sauce.

wunderbier (1434) - Tampere, FINLAND - JUN 25, 2004
Lots of smoke! Honey, peanuts, roasted. Hazy brown-red body. Moderately sweet, lightly acidic flavor becomes a lightly sweet, lightly acidic, moderately salty finish. Medium body, oily texture, soft carbonation. The bottom line is: too salty/smokey to handle without smoked foods...

pdoyleusa (17) - Clinton Twp., Michigan, USA - DEC 23, 2004
No sir, I don’t like it. In all fairness I am very picky on my barley wine selection. Smokey, Murkey, good with a cigar. cellar beer for sure, this has been in the draft free basement (cellar) for a year. See ya next year #5000...

Sarlacc83 (2290) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUN 17, 2016
Tap at Belmont Station. A: Cloudy red color, creme color head. N: Strawberry, molasses, toasted biscuit, smoke, and more smoke, BBQ sauce, hint of cider vinegar, wood, spruce, and caraway. T: Sweet and smokey. M: Medium body, no alcohol, prickly carbonation. O: I really cannot get the comparison to KC Masterpiece out of my head. There’s some otherwise good flavors here, but really, this should be used on ribs and that’s not something I particularly want to drink.