overall
Formerly brewed at Bell's Brewery
Style: Imperial Stout
Galesburg, Michigan USA

RATINGS: 649   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.11/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
Batch 7000 is part of our commemorative series celebrating our progress with special brews. Our 7000th batch is a special recipe to be brewed only once.

bgburdman9 (861) - columbus, Ohio, USA - JUL 9, 2006
UPDATED: NOV 21, 2008 Rerate: If there is a beer that has a better aroma, flavor, or leaves a better flavor on the tongue i have yet to see it. One of my all time favorites. Got this on a road trip through Michigan. I wasnt thinking and only got a single instead of the whole six pack. This was excellent. This seems more complex than expedition, but i think i like it better because of that. I think i liked this one more than the expd. because the alcohol seemed more masked, maybe its just me and my palate has evolved. This was very thick and syrupy. If I could find this again I would pick it up very quickly.

virgil23 (14) - Michigan, USA - OCT 5, 2006
Pours viscous and syrupy. Smells dark and roasty, with the slight scent of malts and alcohol. Had it many times on tap at the eccentric cafe and have a half of a case left for rainy days. Taste is mouthwateringly delicious espresso, chocolate, vanilla, with a perfect balance of hops and a light alcohol finish. I constantly have to remind myself to slow down and enjoy it. This is what a great Imperial Stout should taste like. Get it if you can...

AcctError53893 (89) - holland, Michigan, USA - SEP 20, 2007
Pours black with lots of thick brown head. Great aroma of chocolate, coffee, and some vanilla sweetness. Very complex tastes. Some chocolate, vanilla, fruits, malts, and hint of alcohol. Wow, this is a great beer.

oldno7 (137) - Spokane, Washington, USA - NOV 15, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 16, 2007 Let me start off by saying how greatful I am to have had this beer. Pours a dark black with an exploding rich orangish brown head. Smell is more complex than you could imagine with hints of fruit, mollasses, brown sugar, cocoa, raisen and bourbon. An interesting sweet flavor with a very creamy palate and a bittersweet finish. Rather complex and mellow for 12% (aged for almost 3 years). It had notes of semi sweet chocolate, coffee, dark fruits, caramel, roasted malts, cocoa and brown sugar. OUTSTANDING Imp. stout !

JaBier (8396) - Capital City, Ohio, USA - NOV 29, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 19, 2009 12oz bottle. Dang, I forgot to write down the batch number on the back label (he he). Pours pitch black with a huge tan head. Aroma of bourbon, dark fruit, chocolate and coffee. Flavor is pretty much the same, with the alcohol presence being just a tad too much. Surprising, seeing as this stuff was bottled in ’05. Wonder what another year or so might do. Still an amazing beer. Update - Usually not my style to update ratings, but I had this one again at the Hopsnobbery Collective stout tasting on 1.16.09 and it was the best of the night up against some of the big boys. Did not seem as astringent as the last bottle and that really brought out the other flavors, so I have bump the flavor up to 10. Aroma got bumped to 9, bringing overall to 19.

danielcurtis81 (1519) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 30, 2009
12 oz bottle via trade with Adrian910ss. Thanks man! This is my 700 overall rating and 100 imperial stout rating. Thanks Andy for pointing out the crossing milestones. It was hard to find the last few impys but I managed. Wish I could have shared this one with you Andy! I haven’t though about it till now but it’s pretty crazy that 1 out of 7 beers I’ve rated was an Imperial Stout. After the past 2 weeks of not being able to find any unrated ones locally I guess that makes sense. Pours a rich velvety ruby toned black with a small disappearing burnt brown head. Body is very dense and free flowing as one. Nose is mouth watering to say the least. It teases with a rich darker chocolate aroma, fresh espresso, vanilla, a touch of bourbon, and a hint of plums/prunes. Flavors do not disappoint the tease of the nose. High quality dark Belgium chocolate, richly roasted malts that are pushed just to the edge of being bunt, a peppery wooden note begins to come to the party. Also on the list are some raisin. plum, and fig notes that get accented by a smoky almost cigar after taste. Flavors of roasted coffee beans as well. All of these wonderful flavors real ride along this deep roasted on the edge of burnt driving force. Mouth is perfectly smooth and slick with a slight almost bitterness on the sides. A ever slight alcoholic after taste. Wonderfully done beer and aged perfectly. If you have more please send my way!!

brainlair (236) - Maryland, USA - FEB 23, 2010
Pours pitch black, completely opaque. Little chunks coming out as it pours from the bottle. Smells like sweet licorice, roasty chocolate. Just enough bite in the nose to balance out the sweetness, the best RIS i’ve ever smelled. Taste starts off like a smooth, creamy chocolate, fading into a delicious roasty coffee and raisin finish, leaving a great bitter feel coating my mouth. This stuff has peaked, if you have a bottle NOW is the time to be drinking it.

polomagnifico (1202) - Saginaw, Michigan, USA - JAN 12, 2011
700th rating! Bottle from 2005. Aroma has notes of chocolate, caramel, espresso, wood, red wine and dark dried fruits. Very dark brown that sits black in the glass. Small light brown creamy head that mostly diminished and left speckled lace. Flavor is very sweet and med bitter. Palate is very full bodied and oily soft. Just an incredible beer. Very chocolaty with great mouth feel and looks. The aroma and taste are just incredible. This beer has aged very well. It was an honor.

fredandboboflo (1570) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 14, 2009
Bottle. Aroma of huge anise, quickly backed up by sweet coffee, sweet and bitter chocolate, ranging from tootsie roll to 85% cacao, big toffee, very earthy, woodsy nuttiness. Flavor quite decadent with a notable but perfectly delectable level of booze, highlighted by molasses, the toffee and those nutty, earthy notes (I very viscerally feel like I’m outside as I drink and smell this) and really comes full circle to a very minty, liccorice-y anise. Despite all the decadence, finishes medium-sweet, medium-dry with a big burst of chocolate, and with a notable level of bitterness even at this late date. Such a monster, yet I would still ascribe to it the words intricate and delicate. Best of all worlds for me. I wish this was called, well, anything that didn’t indicate it was brewed 2000 batches ago never to be brewed again.

msante79 (2244) - Mount Prospect, Illinois, USA - SEP 22, 2009
#700. 12oz bottle thanks to Northernbrews. Pours black with thin dark tan head. Aroma is sweet molassas, roasted malt, dark fruits, bourbon, vanilla, and some booze. Flavor is roasted malt, bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, sweet fruit, and some booze. Mouthfeel is syrupy but smooth and creamy at same time. Stuff makes you just want to lick your lips after every sip. So nice to have a big impy that isn’t dry. This is extreamy complex and about a good as a RIS can get. I cannot even imagine what the BA version would taste like.