overall

RATINGS: 652   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.11/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
Batch 7000 is part of our commemorative series celebrating our progress with special brews. Our 7000th batch is a special recipe to be brewed only once.

mdi's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
mdi (573) - Nebraska, USA - JUN 17, 2006
12oz bottle, I stole it from Kevin! I figured this would be a barleywine...but I was pleasantly surprised! Pours oil black with a solid brown head...I can smell liquorice before I’m done pouring my glass. Strong aromatics...some sort of doughy roastiness...a bit chalky or musty. Chocolate too, with a little earth tinge. The massive thick sweet body is certainly there on this beast. Some coffee lingering. Mouthfeel is a bit odd as it jumps from huge sweetness into dry, warming tannins w/ coffee like bitterness hanging around for minutes after each sip. I don’t particularily enjoy that long lingering. Maybe I’m just jaded, but I don’t think this is wonderful. Massice...yes...delicious...I’m gulping it down instead of sipping it...but wonderful I’ll reserve for a beer that has a little more utility than this beast. The malt really does show up the more I drink it. But because of the relatively few times I could drink a beer this thick, sweet and strong, I can’t give it a lofty status, and I need to go back and reconsider many of my earlier ratings on beers like this. My growing feeling for Imperial Stouts is somewhat akin to how I feel about long classic rock or blues guitar solos...they soar on & on & on...and so many people think they are inspired...but to me, they are nothing more than guitar masturbation...they’re doing just because they can, not because it makes any sense...must be done in small, tasteful doses!

AirForceHops (7233) - Epping, New Hampshire, USA - MAY 20, 2017
ClarkVV sharing the 12 year old imperial stout. Thanks for the tick but the oxidation has gotten out of control. Cardboard, wet newspaper, chocolate malt. I bet this was really good when fresh. Thanks for the share anyhow.

Chalumeaux (1553) - Middleton, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 20, 2017
Poured from bottle hand waxed thanks Clark 12 year old bottle dark black with tan head. Aromas is dark fruit raisin cocoa and chocolate. Taste is cardboard wood dark fruit cocoa.

AdamChandler (5050) - Enfield, New Hampshire, USA - MAY 20, 2017
Totally black, pours without any head. Thanks Clark for this hand-waxed bottle. it smells good. raisin, cocoa and a little cardboard. cardboard, very old. loads of old flavors. raisins, peppermint, wood, dark fruit. lingering finish is soy sauce.

arkurzynski (2427) - Combined Locks, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 14, 2017
Compared to 6000, oxidation has also clearly set in, but not in a good way. Deep roast malt and chocolate with soy notes. Not undrinkable, just not that good.

JStax (6462) - Devola/Marietta, Ohio, USA - AUG 13, 2016
Bottle acquired from a trade awhile back. ClarkVV I think. Thanks! 400th imperial stout rate, so that’s pretty cool. The beer is a thick, oily black with a beige head of foam that diminishes to just a ring around the glass. The beer has huge raisin and leather characteristics to it. Moderate sweetness resonates on the tongue for awhile after the sip. The beer tastes great right now. Age hasn’t done it any harm! Big body. Fairly low carbonation. Great beer!

bnokk (534) - Lee, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 20, 2016
Brewed in Sept 2005, drinken in July 2016. APPEARANCE- super dark. Nicely dark carmel color head. NOSE- deep, dark scents. Licorice, heavy boosy. FLAVOR- very boosy, deep flavors you’d expect for such a tremendously dark beer. Some black licorice NOTES- not sure if this would have been better 4-5 years ago, or if it could stay in the cellar a couple more years.

koleminer20 (3591) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - OCT 30, 2015
12 oz bottle shared with Jason and Brian. The pour is a dark black with a lovely collar of dark khaki head and no lace. The aroma is real good. There is a strong dark fruit and a nice roast. Nice booziness present with the malts and fruits. The flavor is similar. There is a big tobacco leaf or leather note from the oxidization. There is a good fruitiness that backs up to a light hop on the far back end. The mouth feel is lighter and well carbonated with a lingeringly malty, leathery aftertaste. Not too bad. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

thomashall (994) - New Hope, Minnesota, USA - DEC 14, 2014
Bottle shared by Ryan..big thanks! Pours dark brown. Strong bourbon aroma and a little nutty. Taste same with nice dry roasty finish. Aged really well. Really good....so glad I got to try this.

Bacterial (2995) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - DEC 13, 2014
Bottle shared at Steazy’s - thanks!! Thick black pour. Licorice, malt, some spices in there too. Nice.

Steasy66 (1155) - Minnesota, USA - DEC 13, 2014
Black, small tan head. Big roasty anise aroma. Flavor is full of anise, with a lot of chocolate.