overall

RATINGS: 566   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Batch 8000 is part of our commemorative series celebrating our progress with special brews. Our Batch 8000 is a special recipe to be brewed only once. It is a wheat ale spiced with Coriander, Orange Peel, and Paradise Seed. Best consumed fresh.
Editor’s Note. 9% is far above the abv range of a Belgian Wit Bier. Because we do not have the style "Imperial/Double Belgian Wit", this more closely fits as a Belgian Strong Ale.

arminjewell (9720) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - MAR 19, 2011
Pours hazy orange, white head. Aroma has notes of orange, fruity esters, some earth, spice, grains of paradise and some coriander. Main aroma is grains of paradise. Taste is downhill, notes of some orange, slight earth, and a dry, slightly bitter finish. Some cardboard. Past its prime, but would have been good fresh.

fredandboboflo (1570) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 6, 2011
Bottle, courtesy of jason. Citrus oil, sharp, vaguely peppery spice, butterscotch. Sweetness clashing with an astringent spiciness. Very odd at this late date with the intense spice character competing with citrus tones reminiscent of those in old IPA’s (I guess I’ve never really had an old wit/double wit, so perhaps it’s just the combination of the citrus with the sweetness from the old malt). In any case, interesting to see what age did to a beer such as this.

LilBeerDoctor (4129) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 6, 2011
Bottle. Well I guess this beer is far past its prime, but there’s nothing I can do about that anymore...Pours a cloudy brown orange with a small white head. Aroma of old caramel malt, piss, orange juice. Flavor of Belgian yeast, sweet fruits, melon rind, orange peel. The spices have largely left this one and the sweetness is a bit much. I think I agree with the commercial description "best consumed fresh". This is not a beer to save for a rainy day! 6/4/6/3/11 [3.0/5]

MaltOMeal (1094) - Land of Sugar, Texas, USA - JAN 25, 2011
bottle thanks to bleeng? Shared at the January Houston RB Tasting at my place. Pours cloudy, light gold with no head. Nose is of spices and grain. Taste is of spices and orange rind. Mouthfeel is medium.

Zinister (1423) - Houston, Texas, USA - JAN 18, 2011
January Houston Tasting. Pours a honey gold. Nose if very wheat. Flavor is very wheat as well, with some soft spices. This borders on barley wine more than anything else to me. Meh.

Signalwriter (86) - Houston, Texas, USA - JAN 16, 2011
Poured from a bottle in a strong orange color, this is the first beer I’ve had whose nose is like malted milk. Clearly a very strong beer, the taste is an odd combo of sweet and spice, with caramel, orange and coriander (wondered what that was) notes. Average carbonation. I’d try it again but best perhaps in small amounts. I shared this unusual brew at a tasting, many thanks to MaltOMeal, zinister, bleeng and TexasJeep.

vtafro (7445) - Wayne, New Jersey, USA - DEC 30, 2010
Bottle. Golden pour with white head. Yeast note, some damp wheat almost cardboard like, light citrus. More warmth than i expected. Time hasn’t been kind.

wnoble (1251) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - DEC 29, 2010
Bottle shared with Spudclampdawg. Pours a deep orange with a creamy off white head. Nose is spices, toasty biscuit malts, dull citrus, and mild fruits. Taste is sticky sweet with spices and bitterness coming through. Mouthfeel is slick and medium full. Strange beer. Probably not meant for aging.

TURDFERGUSON (4058) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - SEP 9, 2010
Bottles. I do not like this style. I was very disappointed when Bells decided to pick this beer for their 8000th batch. Notes of syrup. citrus, coriander, booze. Way too sweet. Slightly over-carbonated.

jtclockwork (17070) - , New Jersey, USA - AUG 6, 2010
Bottle thanks to a generous trader. Pours a deep cloudy orange with whitish head. Nose of heavy peel, orange, coriander, spice and cider. Taste of orange peel, apple, spice and seeds.