overall

RATINGS: 913   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.31/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 324   ABV: 10.8%
One of the most sought-after stouts in Bell’s history, Black Note Stout blends the complex aromatics of Expedition Stout with the velvety smooth texture of Double Cream Stout, each aged in freshly retired oak bourbon barrels for months. The resulting harmony of flavors captures the finest features of all three components: malty notes of dark chocolate, espresso and dried fruits, all buoyed by the warmth and fragrance of the bourbon barrel. Aimed squarely at the stout and bourbon aficionados, Black Note makes a grand statement about the art of the dark.

DutchHillbilly (62) - Mattawan, Michigan, USA - SEP 3, 2013
Wow. 2nd most favorite Bells I have tried so far. Smells very nutty with hint of molasses. Very dark with nice thick head. Taste of licorice, nut and molasses. Nice aroma of boubon oak barrel as well. Bravo!

tectactoe (3125) - Michigan, USA - SEP 3, 2013
UPDATED: JAN 22, 2015 Tap: Black as hell with a thin, deep mocha head. Aroma is huge; chocolate, roast, oak, smooth bourbon, vanilla, mild coconut, molasses, burnt brown sugar, and some sweet dark fruit. Taste is the same... So balanced; bourbon is insanely smooth and it’s got a perfect amount of balancing sweetness. Roast, cocoa, vanilla, molasses, oak. hint of maple syrup in there... This stuff is absolutely awesome.

SHIG (4963) - Wasilla, Alaska, USA - SEP 2, 2013
Bottle thanks to hubsluvsbeer: Poured a deep black with very whispery tan head. Aroma is vanilla, chocolate, and bourbon. Wow there is so much going on in the taste, vanilla, chocolate, bourbon, and malt. Alcohol tingle in the finish.

Cybercat (5962) - Georgia, USA - SEP 2, 2013
Comes out of the tap a rich sable just a whisker above black with a dark, chocolaty tan head. Roast malt aroma has an overtone of bourbon-soaked wood and subtle notes of coffee, caramel and licorice. Flavor begins with a strong bourbon note and then blossoms with roast malt, quality coffee, semi-sweet chocolate, caramel, licorice, toffee and molasses. It is quite sweet, but not nasty; bourbon bite helps offset the sweetness. Mouthfeel is silky smooth and quite viscous, with an appreciable and persistent tingle. I have been chasing this beer for months, narrowly missing it at stores and getting no response from trade offers - and now I have finally scored this delectable brewski. Worth the wait!

Itzjerm (3056) - Taft, Tennessee, USA - SEP 1, 2013
Wow nice tasting beer sweet flavor. Slight barrel sour aroma. Not a lasting head. Sweet cannula cream stout taste. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

RamyG4 (324) - Seattle, Washington, USA - AUG 30, 2013
UPDATED: SEP 3, 2013 Note: this review was for RBSH3
I’ve just poured myself a beer, and a damn good beer at that. That should be enough, shouldn’t it? No, I’ve poured this beer into a fancy piece of glassware. I’m holding that fancy glass up to the light to get a good look at its contents. I’m taking note of the color, the viscosity, the way the head laces. I’m smelling the beer, not taking a quick whiff, but smelling it, making sure to write down that I’m picking up rich notes of bourbon, coffee, and chocolate. After a needlessly long period, I finally give my beverage a taste. One might think I can finally enjoy the blasted thing now, but I don’t. I spend more time writing. I have a good beer in front of me, and I’m typing words into a computer. Why am I doing that, and who am I doing it for?

TimsRatings (421) - - AUG 29, 2013
On tap at Busy Bee (Raleigh). Pours a deep dark brown with caramel head. First scent is the cream/vanilla, followed by malt. Very nice. Taste is a coordination of the bitterness of the Expedition with the sweetness of the double cream. It works well to offset the sickly sweetness of the Double Cream, but still very sweet. I've been told it will be better warm. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Smurf2055 (1400) - Seattle, Washington, USA - AUG 28, 2013
Pours pitch black with a finger tan head. Smell is very rich and creamy, getting a lot of the special double cream stout. Oak and vanilla, tobacco and char, chocolate. Very much like Parabola. Taste is smooth cream, tobacco, leather, vanilla and oak, a bit of licorice, light red fruit. Very drinkable, smooth as velvet. I think this is simply amazing.

brian60625 (746) - Illinois, USA - AUG 25, 2013
A couple 2 ounce tasters at the 2013 Great Taste in Madison. This stuff was like bite out of a fresh German chocolate cake. The soothing character and undertow of intensity of it all made it really stand out from most of the other options at the fest, assertive yet really enjoyable. I could drink this all afternoon. Aroma was loaded with a pleasant blend of nuts, sweet chocolate, bourbon, coconut and coffee. Appearance was motor oil black, tan head, completely opaque. Taste was coffee, chocolate, vanilla, coconut, very subtle bourbon on oak, and more vanilla on dark doughy chocolate. Very smooth palate feel, heavy bodied, notably unnoticeable abv. Overall, this one lived up to my expectations and I look forward to having it again.

Abio (1868) - BERMUDA - AUG 25, 2013
Very dark reddish brown. A small head. Nice roasted malts and chocolate, vanilla. The alcohol is there for sure. Expected a little more from this one. Smell is better then taste.