overall

RATINGS: 1486   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.48/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
This unique ale begins its life as a powerful and richly sweet stout to which Michigan tart cherries are added. The resulting black brew is complex, sweet and tart with a distinct cherry finish. It will improve with cellaring. Available September - May

SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 20, 2004
This is a beer that required some patience for me. I was initially put off by it a bit, then as it warmed from cellar to room temp, I warmed to it as well. Poured ebony color with a small brown head that settles quickly. Reveals ever-so-subtle dark amber highlights when held to light. Really complex aroma with evidence of dark malts, espresso, bitter chocolate and the tart cherries combining to produce an interesting metallic nose as well. The flavor grew on me as I sipped. It's an odd - yet mostly pleasant - mix of sweet and sour, bold and subtle. Lots of the good stout richness, malty and fruity upfront with the acidic cherries asserting their tartness midway through and ending with a tongue curling sourness to the finish and a lingering bitter aftertaste. Thick body and creamy mouthfeel.

deadguy (42) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAR 16, 2004
Now this may just be me, but this beer is too powerful of a taste; I expected more cherry and less stout-ish attributes. Very little head to speak of. VERY dark and menacing body, much like soy sauce in character (in taste and appearance). For a stout I thought it much to tart and chewy.

Jfishback13 (273) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - MAR 9, 2004
A good outing for this cherry beer. Interesting combination as it is quite dark for anything I've ever had cherries in before. I enjoyed the tartness playing off the rich body. A good occasional beer.

Frank (4210) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 23, 2004
Dark brown, almost black. Diminishing brown head. Intensely vinous nose, mildly tart with a noticeable cherry presence. Milky smooth palate, slightly astringent roasted barley character. Tart cherry flavor lingers in the finish.

daalamar (405) - new albany, Indiana, USA - FEB 23, 2004
I just don't know what they were going for here?? Taste like wostershire (sp) sauce. I couldn't finish it... sorry Bells.

thetrifecta (29) - Bell’s country, Michigan, USA - FEB 22, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 6, 2005 Great roasted malt with the sweet finish of cherries. Nice full body that can actually be a casually enjoyed beer.

HoppyBunny (88) - Temptation, Michigan, USA - FEB 19, 2004
Upon first sip my mouth puckered up like a tart candy. Rich color and smell. To bad I did not have another bottle, this just went down great and I am not fond of fruity beers.. Woo Hoo

Eyedrinkale (3214) - Astoria, New York, USA - FEB 18, 2004
Totally black pour with almost no head. Coffee, malt and chalky chocolate taste. Cherry was a bit more tart as the temp went up.

fly (1486) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - FEB 8, 2004
Kept battling the thought that I wanted just a tad more. Tad more roastyness. Tad more malt sweetness. Tad more anytghing and I was worried that the cherry might not have been just right in the mix. Which I think it is. Sour cherry stout. I really like it.

DavidP (1748) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 8, 2004
Little head, extremely dark brown color. Aroma is of milk chocolate and cherries. Flavor is the usual bitter coffee flavor but with tart sweet cherries. This seems like a decent stout exceptionally well blended with cherries.