overall

RATINGS: 3055   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.27/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
One of the earliest examples of the Russian Imperial Stout in the United States, Expedition Stout offers immensely complex flavors crafted specifically with vintage aging in mind, as its profile will continue to mature and develop over the years. A huge malt body is matched to a heady blend of chocolate, dark fruits, and other aromas. Intensely bitter in its early months, the flavors will slowly meld and grow in depth as the beer ages.
Available October-March.

TrevorFloyd (309) - Connecticut, USA - JUN 21, 2007
What can be said? This beer is larger than life; The 10.5% ABV is considerable, but this beer is so powerful that you’d think it’s somewhere up around 17 or 18. Magnificent taste, complex flavors of licorice and coffee, chocolate, and some nice grains. Amazing.

wetherel (1888) - Cupertino, California, USA - JUN 19, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 10, 2007 10/05/2007: 2 1/2 yr bottle from Styles. Thanks! Batch 6811, 4/26/07. No carbonation on pour, but a small ring of brown bubbles forms on the edge. Slightly oxidized aroma. Thick malty syrupy taste. Alcohol is present, but blends well with rich fig flavors. Slight stinging bitterness on the edge of my tongue. I don’t think it’s peaked yet. It reminds me of an unrefined 7000. 9,4,7,4,17:4.0. 6/19/2007: 12 oz bottle tried in Japan with my wifes Japanese parents. Lets start by saying they hated it. They described it as a mixture of wine and beer and watered down. A drain pour. Hmmmm? Now for my review: Direct pour into middle of glass, but still only small head, half way between creamy and not. Still, I love this light carbonation level. Dark rich syrupy color and thickness. Slight roasted grain flavor, with hints of malt and coffee, lots of coffee. Taste is thick, sweet, and a hint too much roasty flavor. I think some aging will perfect the beer. Nice creamy texture and a some alchohol nose in the finish. 8,4,7,5,18:4.2

memmling (8) - New York, New York, USA - JUN 18, 2007 does not count
first rating! much love to darkmagus for the beer and encouragement....a creamy boot leather, a romantic lick of carpet, an honor to have an imperial stout that others strive to be, huffing a nutty coffee filter with orange peel.

islay (2958) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JUN 17, 2007
12 oz. bottle, batch #7696. I’m drinking some of my best stuff in preparation for the RateBeer Summer Gathering, where I know that I’m going to experience some intense tastes. Aroma of chocolate, raisins, coffee, the usual for the style. Also ginger, cinnamon, vanilla, and cookie scents. Very nice and complex aroma but not as strong as I expected. Improves upon multiple sniffs. Pours a very dark, nearly black, mahogony with a moderate amount of dark tan head. Produces a moderate amount of lacing. Pronounced sugar-sweet start balanced by a roasted coffee bitter finish and aftertaste. These tastes are overly extreme: It’s too sugary and too coffeeish for my ideal. Alcohol evident. A touch of hops-derived pine taste is present. Complex flavors include vanilla, carmel, black cherry, peach, lemon, milk chocolate, and whipped cream. Sweetness and coffee flavors are not my favorite tastes in beer. If those two elements had been toned down, I could easily have given this a 9 instead of a 7 for flavor. The long, bitter aftertaste is as complex an aftertaste as I have ever experienced. Medium to full in body. Rich, smooth, oily, and somewhat lively in the palate. Not hard to drink, unlike many examples of the imperial stout style. Bell’s Expedition Stout is quite good, but I have to say that I’m a bit disappointed, because it is not world-class good, as the ratings on this site would suggest. It is unmistakably a Bell’s product, and it certainly is reminiscent of the even better Bell’s Batch 7000 that I have tried previously. Note that I also was not a huge fan of Bell’s Kalamazoo Stout, which, like Expedition Stout, gets great reviews here.

DeweyDell (159) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JUN 14, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 29, 2007 12 oz bottle, batch #7817. Ever since drinking FFF’s Dark Lord, that has been a kind of benchmark for all the other imperial stouts... This one is just about there. Pours black, thick brown head. Smells chocolatey, roasty, malty, right amount of dark fruit sweetness. Alcohol is hidden well, tastes smooth, slightly bitter finish. Not as thick-bodied as the DL, but more drinkable. Just about perfect IMHO. Re-rate: I had a bottle from batch 7251 (brewed in February ’06... about a year and 6 months ago) Absolutely fantastic, beyond words. This is a beer to age.

eekonomist (4) - Illinois, USA - JUN 13, 2007 does not count
I started drinking craft a few months ago and I figured I’d try over 30 types of brews before reviewing. Well here I am starting out with one of the best of all. Bought a six pack on a trip to Wisconsin. The presentation is terrific. A thick brown head, sparkling lacing, and a jet black body that would erase the sun. The big difference between this, and say a Storm King, is that it has a consistently rewarding taste. I could detect caramel, chocolate, coffee through the entire glass. This is right up there with the Great Yeti for me, although that one changed as I drank it. I would recommend this with a grilled main course as it was chocolate overload with dessert. Definitely one of the best overall.

BeerPrince (1701) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - JUN 12, 2007
Thick, black body with oily texture. Hints of chocolate, coffee and oak in the nose. Smooth with an oily softness that coats the throat. An abundance of coffee, chocolate flavour with a bittering finish. The ABV is well covered up with the flavour. Slightly acidic but otherwise a great beer.

RiverHorse (457) - New Jersey, USA - JUN 11, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 2, 2007 Well...here we go. I have waited for a while to pop the top on the mighty expedition. Pours black with a medium brown head and perfect lacing. The scent was very chocolately with some malty tones and a slight hop scent. The taste is very warming with a ton of different flavors swarming around the palate. The mouthfeel is sticky and warm, as the alcohol lets you know that it is there and at 10.5%...it is to be respected. The malt flavor is apparent, as it the chocolate and coffee notes in the front. I was very impressed with this beer...I am going to have to pick up a few more and store them in the basement for a few years.

gmcase (115) - Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 10, 2007
UPDATED: JUN 26, 2007 12oz. rr 6/24/07 A very serious and complex beer. Totally black with espresso head. Very low carbonation. Liquorice smell. Extreme hops with chocolate, espresso and dried fruitIt also an incredible value by the way because it isn’t overpriced....... yet. Complex and intense but not annoying.

tig397 (64) - dearborn heights, Michigan, USA - JUN 9, 2007
straight black. thick. tastes a little too sweet for me. strong roasted and alcohol flavors. very pleasant.