overall

RATINGS: 3184   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.27/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
One of the earliest examples of the Russian Imperial Stout in the United States, Expedition Stout offers immensely complex flavors crafted specifically with vintage aging in mind, as its profile will continue to mature and develop over the years. A huge malt body is matched to a heady blend of chocolate, dark fruits, and other aromas. Intensely bitter in its early months, the flavors will slowly meld and grow in depth as the beer ages.
Available October-March.

jetzler (622) - oklahoma city, Oklahoma, USA - MAR 28, 2007
Bottle Snifter, Very dark malty aroma, I swear coffee, and liquid smoke, maybe a touch of teriyaki sauce. Pours very dark and slow, similar to pitch, this is one dark and still brew. Menacing in its appearance. The taste is crazy huge, or as my new Hampshire friends would say wickt huge. I had to walk away from this brew, to damn complex to wrap my taste buds around, Imagine melting the darkest and purest chocolate you could find, and then blend it with rich, rich equatorial coffee, that has been highly roasted. Absoutly masssive malt flavors, and then there is the hops, which provides a great lasting and cutting finish to the sweetness. The hops play a perfect second to the malts, the hops and malts are not balance but the hop presence perfectly aids in the development of the huge a rich malts. Which are in no way to sweet or cloying. I believe this bottle to be about 2 years old and I must say is fantastic. Light on the carbonation but very full on the palate. Truly a fantastic brew, one worthy of the ages and glad I made it my 300th!

thomat (3863) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - MAR 25, 2007
Bottle from 2004 at Oliver Twist, Stockholm. Dark, almost black color with a small, dark head. malty with some fruity notes. Lots of chocolate ! Full body with a roasted, slightly bitter finish.

silfa718 (2) - USA - MAR 24, 2007 does not count
Just tried this one, if you like a beer with a slight hint of chocolate....its a must try!

GreenDragon (219) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 22, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 26, 2007 Pours a deep dark brown, almost black, with a massive yellowish-white head developing if an attempt is not made at a smooth pour. Deep malty aroma with notes of toffee, chocolate and perhaps nuts. Thick malty body with oodles of sweetness balanced with caramel, chocolate, coffee and raisens. Thick deep body that lingers on with no alcohol burn, just warmth and lots of coffee.

gunsho (134) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - MAR 22, 2007
this beer is close to perfect. nutty, chcoclate flavor with hints of bitter cherries and juniper berries. well rounded feel on the tongue. a new favorite.

polomagnifico (1202) - Saginaw, Michigan, USA - MAR 21, 2007
Aroma is moderate malty, lightly hoppy, with prune/port/and heavy soy sauce(I was blown away by that one, I had sushi that day and was amazed that the smell was so close, never would have pegged it otherwise). Appearance was pitch black with a small brown creamy head that fully diminished. Initial flavor is moderately sweet and sour with light bitterness. Finish was lightly sweet with moderate bitterness that had a long duration. Palate is full body, oily texture, moderate alcohol and flat carbonation. Tastes of roasted coffee, chocolate, cigar smoke, with sweet port tones that turn bitter on finish. Alcohol is acceptable but the sour notes detracted from the aroma and flavor (but some people love that). Overall it’s in my top 5 imperial Stouts.

alexsdad06 (10416) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAR 21, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 11, 2007 12 oz bottle 7740. Pours thick black with a half finger... wait no head left. I swear there was a head the last time I looked. Aroma is roasted malt, dark fruits, some alcohol. Not as strong as I might have thought (I did just finish a Kentucky Breakfast stout). Flavor is complex. Roasted malts are ever present. There is a sweetness associated with chocolate and molasses but it is also quite bitter. There is also coffee and salt and some dark fruit. I think this is another stout that gets better as it warms. This is much better than my first tasting as I remember. I can’t wait to see how it ages. Re-rate is now an average between the fist rating and one from batch 8145. This new batch is not good right now. I get rubbing alcohol in both the nose and flavor. No complexity at all.

mabjork (692) - Vasa, FINLAND - MAR 21, 2007
Bottled (thanks oh6gdx via heemer77). Pitchblack in colour. Minor brown head. The aroma is a mixture of burnt malt, coffee and chocolate. The flavour, it’s surprisingly sweet, a miture of charcoal, burnt malt and coffee. There is a sweet aftertaste in this one.

jameswolfe (160) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - MAR 19, 2007
Wow. Easily the most massive beer I’ve ever tasted. Very thick, almost like oil with a small head that quickly dissapates. Decent aroma with coffee and chocolate. The taste is very bitter with coffee and malt. A little astringent on the aftertaste. Gets better and better as you finish the glass.

beernovice2007 (2) - USA - MAR 19, 2007 does not count
Poured a thick, black color with 1/2" dark brown head. Aroma and taste of bitter coffee and chocolate. Very nice flavor, but I was a little let down from the hype. This has been highly hyped on the net, but reminds me of Brooklyn’s Black Chocolate Stout without as much alcohol burn. Still not bad, just a little pricey for what you get.