overall

RATINGS: 3185   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.27/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
One of the earliest examples of the Russian Imperial Stout in the United States, Expedition Stout offers immensely complex flavors crafted specifically with vintage aging in mind, as its profile will continue to mature and develop over the years. A huge malt body is matched to a heady blend of chocolate, dark fruits, and other aromas. Intensely bitter in its early months, the flavors will slowly meld and grow in depth as the beer ages.
Available October-March.

jason (1834) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 1, 2006
UPDATED: APR 2, 2007 Bottle. I’ve had this enough times to really give this a proper rating. I’ve been waiting awhile to try this at various times and feel this may be one beer that really has a perfect balance to it. The only reason why it doesn’t get a perfect score is that it has very little head to it. Great aroma. Taste is a perfect balance of chocolate malt and hops. A beer that I always go back to. Cheers.

Batch #7740 - Great aroma and appearance. Tasting too green yet and not quite balanced and smooth. This one will need 6 months for it to show. The mouthfeel was great and I think this one may turn out to be a gem.

Update: March ’07 #7740- Tasted really well tonight. I don’t know if this was a one time find for the batch or if I was just in the mood for this beer but the hops seemed no to be overpowering and mellowed out quite a bit. Such a sticky aftertaste. My God what a great beer!!!

Batch #7205 Thanks to TomDecapolis for the bottle. Very smooth and subtle. I picked up the aroma of vanilla. Big impact on chocolate here. Nice notes of smokiness here as well. Alcohol is undetected making this too easy to drink. Awesome.

NaturalIce (149) - originally from Michigan, New York, USA - OCT 30, 2006
This is the best beer i’ve ever drank. It pours out real dark, almost looks like oil coming out of the bottle. Very little head, it appears a few seconds after the beer is poured. The aroma is what you’d expect out of an imperial stout; filled with dark chocolate and coffee beans. Full body with a creamy texture and somewhat soft carbonation. Well worth every cent!

JoeMcPhee (9427) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 29, 2006
12 oz bottle. Black as night with a thick dark brown head. Very oily/thick pour. Head slowly wells up giving a cascading effect throughout. Massive strong dark chocolate, molasses, dried fruit and a heavy tarry roastiness. Flavour matches the aroma with heavy oily roastiness, dark and milk chocolates and rich sweet plummy fruit. Thick palate lets milk chocolate sweetness completely coat the mouth. Finishes with loads of sweet plums and raisins and heavy roast helping dry things out a touch. Really heavy, chewy, and rich, but displaying balance throughout as well. Waves of complexity wash through the mouth with each sip. A very stylish Imperial Stout.

RollinHard (1024) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - OCT 26, 2006
You know, I’ve been reading various reviews for this beer for a long time, and now I finally get to try it. I honestly thought the comments about how dark it is were exaggerating, but man, they are so justified! This beer is noticably darker than Great Divide’s Yeti, which seemed tough for me to imagine. It’s also thicker. Anyway, the head on this was huge, but that’s cause I poured way too fast. The head forms very slow, so be carful. Aroma is full-on cocoa, and brownie mix. As time goes by, I notice some pungent herbal hop scent, caramel, something vaguely sour, or even cheesey, and then as the beer is room temperature, raisins and alcohol. Great and strong aroma. Taste follows a similar course, only even more powerful. All kinds of dark chocolate flavors swirling around, and a definite brownie/cakemix taste too. Excellent! I was surprised how well the malt sweetness transitioned into the hop bitterness. The flavors became roastier, the hops were woody bitter, and still herbal. Finish lasted forever too. Basically, there was no fault to this beer at all, I loved every aspect about it. 1 6-pack was all I was allowed to order at the time, but there will be more! So awesome.

blkitson (158) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - OCT 26, 2006
This baby in the glass is blacker than the ace of spades. Smells good, taste good for a stout. It’s kind of heavy but I can live with that. Not something that I would drink everyday. Excellent stout.

Cliff (355) - The Land of Milk and Honey, Ohio, USA - OCT 26, 2006
thanks to sprinkle for this bottle, holy hell, this sucker poured motor oil black, and i mean black with a thick brown head. aromas of coffee, toffee, roasted marshmellow. this creamy mouthfeel with a pungent roasted flavor, delicious, backed up with copious amounts of hops. great finish that lingered. this was a meal in a snifter. bell’s beers don’t do to much for me but this one was great.

brauen (25) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - OCT 24, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 25, 2006 BIG BEER! Very dark almost opaqe color, dark tan head. Smells of roated malts coco and toffee, very hoppy also. Tastes incredible, can be overpowering if you try and drink it in haste. Definatly sit back and enojy this great stout.

swoopjones (7020) - Buffalo, New York, USA - OCT 24, 2006
12oz Bottle @ Coles, Buffalo NY. Black as can be & better than advertised. Huge malt-chocolate-coffee. Definately a sipper that you want to savor for a while. Can’t wait for the next trip to Chicaco so I can go back to Sams & load up again

JB175 (1665) - Bucks County, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 24, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 16, 2007 200th Rating!!! Bottle - Batch 7251. Deep, Black as night pour with dark caramel-colored head. wonderful aroma of toasty-malt, caramel-sweetness, and choco-coffee. Deep, rich, European chocolate-roasty taste with a great mouthfeel. Dances on the pallet. Wow! This beats not only most after dinner beers, but probably any dessert out there. Will have to grab more for the winter and future years.

POD (198) - USA - OCT 24, 2006
This stout came highly recommended to me. As of this writing it’s listed as the #9 beer on the Rate Beer Top 50. This stout poured like motor oil with a burnt umber hue. The 2 finger brown foam head burst with heavy roast malt aroma and spices. As the brew warmed to room temp within my mug, the aromas tantalized me to a point where I couldn’t wait for my first sip. My oral cavity was greeted with silky smooth sweet blasts of coffee, malt and chocolate swirling in a pool of hoppy goodness. With each sip I tasted more and more carmel and coffee. A long lingering rich roast carmel aftertaste allowed plent of time to nurse this wonderful Imperial. This is one of the best best beers that I’ve drank to date. I will consume more of these as I relax in front of my fireplace this winter. My highest recommendation!