overall

RATINGS: 3185   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.27/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
One of the earliest examples of the Russian Imperial Stout in the United States, Expedition Stout offers immensely complex flavors crafted specifically with vintage aging in mind, as its profile will continue to mature and develop over the years. A huge malt body is matched to a heady blend of chocolate, dark fruits, and other aromas. Intensely bitter in its early months, the flavors will slowly meld and grow in depth as the beer ages.
Available October-March.

bager (2120) - Copenhagen N, DENMARK - SEP 24, 2006
Bottle thanx to my man Sean. Thank you so much kind sir. Thank you. Thanks. No.. I mean it.. Thank you :-) Pitch black with a creamy brownish head. Wonderfull. WOW! Aromas and flavours of ryebread, coffee, dark chocolate, dark cherrys and brwon sugar. Wonderfully balanced. Great bitterness level. Amazing stout.

bitbucket (2165) - Kirkland, Washington, USA - SEP 23, 2006
Bottle shared with after4ever. Pours an opaque blackish brown with a thick brown head. Big, full, chewy body, so much that anything afterwards would seem relatively light. The taste is liquid fruitcake with hunks of chocolate and a layer of molasses on top. A bit of smoke and bitterness make their way though in the finish.

after4ever (8025) - Mukilteo, Washington, USA - SEP 23, 2006
12-oz., courtesy Tever--and thank you! This is amazing, amazing stuff. Jet black viscous goo on the pour, topped by a thick sudsy/moussy tan head you could float a quarter on. Smoky, fruity, roasty nose, and all those things show up in the palate, along with chocolate, coffee, molasses, and more as it warms. Astonishingly good.

TechMyst (167) - Fox River Grove, Illinois, USA - SEP 23, 2006
CONTAINER VOLUME: 355ml
CONTAINER TYPE: bottle (Conditioned)
FRESH: 6672 (must be mislabled: their site has this as being an Amber Ale made 11/04. the date is probably right though) Anyway it’s almost 2 yrs old and this is ok for cellaring, but being on the top shelf exposed to fluorescent light every day might have had an impact
PURCHASED @: Binny’s
COST: $2.69/12oz bottle
HEAD: None...at first, then it rose slightly and then diminshed; red in color; a few huge soapy iridescent bubles among the smaller ones
LACE: spare
COLOR:
REFLECTED- black
TRANSMITTED- Blood Red
AROMA: faint medicine; average hop
MOUTHFEEL: full
PALATE: sticky, flat conditioning
TASTE: cherry flavored cough syrup; cloying, sweet acidic cherry flavor; astringent average lasting aftertaste

COMMENTS: I was really looking forward to this, but it was nothing like I expected. I had a flashback to Vick’s 44-D cough syrup. Could this Imperial Stout with ABV of 11.5% become lightstruck? this made my cheekbone muscles cramp up. Kalamazoo by this brewer is the best stout I’ve ever enjoyed. This is a big beer though, it’s like climbing a wall. To me the Hop and Cherry flavors didn’t mix. My throat and torso burned for hours after consuming this. Did I drink it too cold? did I get too much sediment? Is this diactyl flavor from being light struck? or do I just not like the hop/fruit balance?(I’ve stated before that I really do not care much for fruit beers...)
CONDITIONS:
MOWING/WORKING ON CAR- If I owned an Astin Martin(but then I wouldn’t be washing my own car or mowing my own lawn then now would I)
WITH FRIENDS- if they are buying
SIPPING- if I had a fresh one; or one that was cellared correctly (sipping is the only way to get this one down)
GET MY BUZZ ON- if fresh

Mungo (2470) - Southampton, Hampshire, ENGLAND - SEP 22, 2006
Bottle @ Kookfest. Citric hops and very roasty malts with coffee and chocolate but mostly roasty char. Intense flavours. Sweet malts and hot bitter finish. Tasty and full on. Slight clash with citric hops and malts but despite this and the over-roasted malt I enjoyed this.

dirkules (629) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 17, 2006
Ohio beer pickup! This one is the DARKEST beer I ahve ever seen. Also probably the most filling stout I’ve ever had as well. So you know it’s black! It’s taste is definitely amongst the darkest of the malts, and they taste about exactly as they would smell. Lingering back and forth between bitter and sweet, chocolate and coffee. There’s smoke here too and a hint of brandy or brandywine. I can’t believe it. Very strong stuff. Got a 6-pack and I’m sure it’s gonna last a while. Definitely one to have as a delicacy.

mctous (131) - Herndon, Virginia, USA - SEP 17, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 14, 2009 Expedition Stout justifies superlatives. Its hop aroma closely resembles Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, but its malt aroma is in its own class. It balances roast and sweetness perfectly. The flavor is massive roasted barley malt and PNW hops blended perfectly, with a few phenolic yeast artifacts (Islay single malts came to mind). Bell’s manages to disguise the brute strength very well indeed. The finish is quite clean, given its enormous malt content, with a lingering burnt sweetness and hoppiness, and a slight alcohol warmth. Until I felt the effect, 10.5% ABV simply didn’t register!

DTB (51) - South Philly, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 15, 2006
This beer pours a mysterious midnight black that looks like a void in space itself. The head was a dark copper and tan that started quite small, but then fell to a thin ring, leaving no head what so ever. Smells of syrupy chocolate and an awesome, dare I say wholesome, roasted barley. There are also swirling bits of dark fruits and a subtle nip of fruity hops. This one just makes me feel good smelling it. Five stars! …er, points. Tastes exceptionally sweet, but the sweetness is clearly natural and wholesome. This emanates from the smooth dry roasted barley that isn’t too charred (espresso), nor underdone (barley wine), but just right. Bell’s hit that right on the nose. There’s also some port like qualities with some cherries and a definite brandy, presumably where the alcohol is hiding out of sight. The mouth feel is thick as hell and sticky with a light easy going carbonation that only adds to the over all thickness. I really like the quality of this beer and the perfect roast of the malt, but the sweetness, although right on, is a little distracting.

harrisoni (18578) - Ashford, Kent, ENGLAND - SEP 15, 2006
Bottle at Kookfest 2006. Black beer, dark beige head. Impy stout aroma, hops rather cover the dark malts. Very good in mouth, intensity is good. Very oily feel. Maybe the hop over dominates the stout. Good length, but is it complex? Hop is a bit harsh. Shame as I have been looking forward to trying this for ages and when I saw it in Chris_o’s fridge I could hardly contain my excitement, and then when Duff took it out....... but I was disappointed by the overly strong hop and wanted more complexity in mouth and on the finish

lostcoat (3) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - SEP 13, 2006 does not count
This is one the best beers I have every had. i am sure you can read all the other users ratings. However, I have one suggestion, try drinking it out of a good size coffee mug, it helped bring out the aroma.