overall

RATINGS: 3055   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.27/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
One of the earliest examples of the Russian Imperial Stout in the United States, Expedition Stout offers immensely complex flavors crafted specifically with vintage aging in mind, as its profile will continue to mature and develop over the years. A huge malt body is matched to a heady blend of chocolate, dark fruits, and other aromas. Intensely bitter in its early months, the flavors will slowly meld and grow in depth as the beer ages.
Available October-March.

Naven (1000) - Poway, California, USA - OCT 23, 2006
Wow. What a fine beverage this is. Dark as night - smells like a barrel of coffee beans and malt. First sip is velvety, sweet and hoppy. Undertones are strong delicious malts mixed with coffee and chocolate. I can honestly say that this is one of top stouts I have ever had, possibly only trumped by Speedway stout and Dark Lord. I actually think I like this better than the Dark Lord. It’s that good.

WeeHeavySD (3387) - Portland, Oregon, USA - OCT 22, 2006
12 oz bottle. Courtesy of KAME. Long awaited enjoying this brew with a friend who longed to have it as much as me. This brew was well worth the wait. Pours an extremely thick black body with a small thin brown head that quickly dissipated. The aroma was intense and potent with notes of coffee and smoke. The taste matched the aroma but was even more delicious with a very roasty coffee and caramel vibe. The taste filled my mouth and a smoky roasty feeling stayed with me long after each sip. This beer has a great full mouth feel. The aftertaste helps emphasize the fantastic deliciousness of this brew. Get it if you can and enjoy as long as possible.

aarossell (151) - Grandville, Michigan, USA - OCT 18, 2006
Blackest pour. Strong smell, very complicated aroma / flavor. Coffee, Dark roasted fruits, nuts, and spicy hops. Very strong malt combination. Quite a drink. Can’t stand more than one bottle. This is a sharer.

roder60 (1289) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 14, 2006
Pours a thick jet black color with a medium amount of heavy whipped dark brown head. Never seen head this dark before. Roasted malt aroma with some bitter sweetness, maybe sour cherries, and a bit of mocha cofee. Flavor is very bitter and coffeeish. Mouthfeel extremely heavy. Like drinking a bitter mocha drink.

cheap (6016) - Beaver Valley, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 13, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 21, 2009 Scary black or dark brown die appearance. I thought I was ruining my three stooges glass. Very creamy smooth terribly bitter taste. Is this beer? Somewhat like cherries or plums soaked in whiskey. Very little if any carbonation. Did you ever chew freeze dried coffee or burnt dark roasted coffee beans?......eeeeeeeeow. Naturally astringent bitterness clinging long after the finish, won’t go away. Every sip a little bit tuffer to swallow. Use a shotglass for this. Wow, I thought Lion stout was bbbaddahhh. I think the oil in my shovel head harley must taste like this when I drain it out, smells the same. You’ll love this if you like to torture yourself. Ideal with a rrrreeeeeal strong cigar like an Avo or CAO dark. Was hoping my first beer above a site rated 4 would be a better experience than this. Will not buy again. Terribly overrated.

trdant (2) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - OCT 13, 2006 does not count
Repeat after me. I will never drink a better tasting beer. Even though the alcohol content is high, it does not distract from enjoying the experience.

Gimpycane (1) - ada, Ohio, USA - OCT 3, 2006 does not count
This Russian Imperial Stout rules. On a night when I had several stouts to compare to Bell’s Expedition Stout came on top. Poured a thick black motor oil w/ a 1 2/2 inch mocha brown head. The sight made me think I was going to drinking a cuban expresso. The aroma was amazing and well balanced, sweet molasses, strong coffee and a vicious alcohol scent. The scent of alcohol doesn’t disappoint as it also lingers in your mouth forever w/ a thick full body syrupy feeling. At 11.5% ABV, this brew doesn’t play around and it’s great for sipping.

spclerk (47) - Minnesota, USA - OCT 2, 2006
This is one of the best beers I’ve ever had. It is absolutely essential that you drink this beer (have I got to the 75 character count yet)? Sorry, this is just one of those beers you can’t put into words. Just drink it.

vyvvy (6639) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - SEP 30, 2006
Pours dark brown / black with a dark orange / brown head. Aroma has roasted dark malt with char and dark chocolate. There is also a fruit aspect showing some dark cherries and some dry vinious qualities. Incredibly thick body with some stickiness and a good amount of soft carbonation. Starts creamy with heavily charred malt and dark chocolate. There is vanilla and spice in here as well. The finish has vanilla, a good amount of spice and roast. There is a bit of heat on the finish. Excellent stout.

AlKHall (161) - West Hartford, Connecticut, USA - SEP 28, 2006
Extremely Dark and thick. Strong malt aroma rises up as soon as it is poured. Intense bitter flavors of coffe and chocolate along some bittersweetness. Alch content is high, but is blended well with chocolate and light hop flavor and caramel.