overall

RATINGS: 3184   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.27/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
One of the earliest examples of the Russian Imperial Stout in the United States, Expedition Stout offers immensely complex flavors crafted specifically with vintage aging in mind, as its profile will continue to mature and develop over the years. A huge malt body is matched to a heady blend of chocolate, dark fruits, and other aromas. Intensely bitter in its early months, the flavors will slowly meld and grow in depth as the beer ages.
Available October-March.

rafe101 (1) - Marquette, Michigan, USA - AUG 28, 2006 does not count
I love this beer. It took me a few weeks of asking to finally get it at the party store around the corner, and I live in Mich., but they finally got a few cases in. One must really like stouts to even try this beer. My girlfriend spit her one-and-only mouthful into the sink. It was stained like coffee for a few days.

danyvatt (1) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 25, 2006 does not count
Amazing stout beer. In fact, I think this is my favorite stout beer. Some interesting plum and raisin flavors going on, as well as a very powerful but balanced flavor. Will also get you very drunk very fast.

daveco67 (18) - Marion, Iowa, USA - AUG 23, 2006
I had really high hopes for this stout, especially since it was coming from Bells. The beer pours like molasses and doesn’t have much head. The raisin and plub aroma is overwhelmed by the alcohol smell. That smell is the prelude to the liquor taste that doesn’t stop. Great mouth feel though.

drfabulous (7941) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - AUG 23, 2006
Few words can describe this stout. It is the king. Thick. Syrupy. You can only drink one at a time.

BrewskiNigga (12) - Brewski, Maryland, USA - AUG 21, 2006
If you want to get WAYSTED. Or Wasterned (Western Michigan University). This is the beer for you. 11.5% I’ve drank rum with less booze. YOu will be fighting your best friends or crying on a drunk dial. Take your pick or do both. 10 for being Wasted.

cherokeeoriely (7) - USA - AUG 18, 2006 does not count
One great beer. Out of the Kalamazoo best I feel. Coffee flavor. I have had better stouts, just not as potent

buckybeer (666) - Eau Claire, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 18, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 25, 2007 Pours black as tar with a small brown head and nice lacing. Huge coffee, cocoa, roasted nut & black currant aroma. Palate is thick and creamy. Flavor is a powerful bitter nut, hints of molasses, licorice & over ripened fruits. The hops are there also which blends in great overall.

balke13 (156) - MIssoula, Montana, USA - AUG 17, 2006
Very dark. Thick. Oily. Espresso. Chocolate. Hops. Alcohol. This is a huge beer with massive flavors and aromas and extremely delicous.

GG (2332) - NorCal, California, USA - AUG 17, 2006
UPDATED: NOV 13, 2006 First of all, I must thank my man moejuck for actually letting this one go in a trade. Man, if I had access to this beer I’d be all over it. This would be it. This beer from Bells is damn near perfect. Aroma is just astounding with a nutty, coffee, chocolate, whiskey, rum, maple, molasses and hopped perfectness. I still have thoughts of this beer running through my mind. Appearance is midnight black, sludge-like thickness with a completely coating mouthfeel that coats your glass and mouth with a wonderful tingly feeling. Flavors are perfect. It can’t get any more plain than that. Coffee, rum, anise, vanilla, chocolate and hops/malt balance is just an awesome thing to behond. I’m given map props to Bells for making this, and I’m going to have to spearhead some sort of movement to get these guys to start shipping their beers out West.

Magjayran (1378) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - AUG 14, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 20, 2009 Probably one of the worst beers I’ve ever had. It looks absolutely disgusting with its motor oil like appearance and small film of a head. The aroma reminds me of burning terribleness and it has probably permanately damaged my nostrils. The beer is entirely too thick as it coats your mouth in horrendous roasted malt flavors. To top it off, it’s got this extreme earthy bitterness to it that really ruins my day. I’m sticking to fizzy yellow beer from now on. I wouldn’t wish this trash on my worst enemy.