overall

RATINGS: 3129   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
One of the earliest examples of the Russian Imperial Stout in the United States, Expedition Stout offers immensely complex flavors crafted specifically with vintage aging in mind, as its profile will continue to mature and develop over the years. A huge malt body is matched to a heady blend of chocolate, dark fruits, and other aromas. Intensely bitter in its early months, the flavors will slowly meld and grow in depth as the beer ages.
Available October-March.

reedcd2 (47) - USA - MAY 24, 2006
I mean, thereís not much to say that hasnít been said about this beer. Absolutely delicious. This was the 4th stout courtesy of Zeswaft and it was awesome. Couldnít stop smelling it the whole time I was drinking it. tons of flavor - gotta try it to believe it. Best beer I have ever had yet.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
beastiefan2k (3715) - HdG (past: NYC, KS, Rain City), Maryland, USA - MAY 22, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 5, 2016 Bottle thanks to OhioDad. This is as black as it gets. Pours with no head just a bit of brown lacing. The smell is very hoppy, some roastiness in the background. Overall the hops over shadow the rest of the smell. The taste is extremely sweet, again hoppy. Very light body for such a beer. Extremely sweet, the sweet RIS I have ever tried. good bitterness at the end. Alcohol burn felt in throat as well.8/4/9/3/16

8, 6, 9 re-rate time, get low, get low ྫ/30/07). I always thought I overdid it on my first rating and I always remembered it as a bit too think hoppy stout and I always wanted to revisits. Which I did in a blind tasting recently, and if I remember correctly it did not score well (but really none of them did). This is batch 7740, which seems to be about a year old right now. It pours black hole black with a small brown head, so far just like it was originally. Aroma is super strong, it is very strong on grassy, piney, green leaf hops which are nose itching. Beneath that is pretty strong molasses and oily sticky syrup. Just from the aroma I can see why this is so highly rates, it is so not subtle. For me the taste is just super dominated by hops, which is cool but just not my bag of tricks. The really cool thing about this beer is the mouthfeel, definitely not like the previous time I had this. Itís super viscous and thick, feels like my mouth is covered with film. Long bitter aftertaste.8/4/7/5/16.

Lets try it again. Batch, 8728 bottled on September 16, 2008, so itís about 6 months old. Pretty similar except the hops are a lot more West Coast aggressive with citrus, grapefruit, and tropical fruits. Very bitter on the nose. Otherwise its pretty similar to my previous rating. Rating stays the same.

Bottle gifted from Indra, thanks Eric. Batch 6672, so almost 5 years old. It is headless at this point. The hops have died down. Basically, a chocolate watery drink. Alcohol is still present throughout. Would not give this 5 years at all without knowing what it is fresh. The age, alcohol, and light roast make it come off as light licorice and anise.

Beer #6 of 13 in blind tasting.
1.5 year old bottle. Thick pour with a head (heads were not common in the tasting). Head quickly fades. Came off as industrial, astringently bitter, acrid black malt-centric. Just astringent and strong. In hindsight, despite my relatively high ratings, I never really enjoyed this beer. I am happy to be more secure in rating it lower. 6/3/6/3/12.
In the aggregate, it fell slightly below average.

Thick and smooth mouthfeel. Thick, fumy, cocoa, light roast aroma that almost feels like a barrier hovering over the beer. A little alcohol essence. Flavor has a bit more mineral and malt bitterness. But still a straightforward, not sugary but sweet and thick impy stout. Could use less bitterness. Returning AFTER FULL LINEUP: definitely the most alcoholic but not very strong on that. Seems less thick and a much more bitter finish. 8/4/8/4/16

Final score is aggregate across ratings.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
keoki182 (305) - West Bend, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 21, 2006
I had tried Bellís Expedition Stout once before, but had only remembered that it was thicker than most stouts I have had. I bought another 12 oz bottle a week ago with the sole intent to sample it again and review it on ratebeer.com. The pour was akin to a bottle of Hersheyís chocolate syrup or perhaps motor oil sludging its way downwards into the waiting pint glass. Once the pour was complete, the glass looked like a pint of expresso, medium brown foam attached. The beer itself smells like the playground bully at Stout School: deep roasted malts, hops, chocolate, raisins, and probably 20 other foods that I cannot even identify. The first sip was jarring to all 5 of my senses plus 3 or 4 that I didnít even know I had. Explosions of bitterness, chocolate, smoky flavors! There is no arguing that this beerís taste is complex. In my humble opinion, the flavor is just too abrasive for my liking. I certainly respect and appreciate what the brewers at Bellís have accomplished with their Expedition Stout, but the truth is is that I enjoy easier- drinking stouts. I had to rate the overall score according to my own enjoyment while drinking it, and I just didnít feel that it was pleasantly drinkable.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Ty5592 (1018) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 20, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 17, 2007 This is one of the best beers I have ever tasted!! Black with no head. Has sweet roasted coffee flavor with smooth creamy aftertaste. Very complex beer. A must try for any REAL beer drinker. Thanks Ryan for the bottle!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
punkrkr27 (903) - Berkley, Michigan, USA - MAY 20, 2006
Pours a thick brown black that looks like used motor oil with a small brown head. Aroma is loaded with roasted hops, malts, coffee beans and molasses. Flavor is much the same with almost a cognac like note. Lots of coffee flavor on the finish with a notable alcohol burn. Nice medium full body.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cbkschubert (2901) - BFE, Arizona, USA - MAY 18, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 1, 2006 12 oz. bottle via trade with Ohiodad - Pours a thick black color with a small brown head that quickly fades to a film. Very light spotty lacing. Aroma is light chocolate, esters and spicey with a nice roasted malt background. Has a light roasted flavor with lots of esters (plum). The bitterness kicks in after you swallow the beer. Very slight alcohol warming. A smooth medium to full body beer. An excellent beer. Thanks Scott.

deltamarik (50) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - MAY 17, 2006
This gets points off for the following reason: itís a seasonal. I thought Victoryís Storm King Imperial Stout was dark. This is blacker than Hitlerís soul. And dear lord, it tastes like it. Everything youíre looking for in a stout and more. Buy it. Now.

victory (45) - Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 17, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 6, 2007 Pours like 10K mile used motor oil. Thatís a good thing. Color of the beer cannot be determined due to the fact that my brightest flashlight couldnít penetrate the pint glass. Infinitely complex yummie warming goodness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Beaver (1718) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - MAY 17, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 13, 2006 12 oz bottle, batch 6811. Pours an opaque black with an almost non-existent dark brown head that is quickly gone.

The aroma is sweet chocolate, lots of alcohol, raisins, anise and cola.

The flavor is the same as the aroma...very sweet chocolate malts, lots of alcohol, and some dark fruits. It finishes sweet and sugary but with a burnt bitterness that helps to balance it out some. The mouthfeel is medium to full and smooth but low on carbonation.

I was worried that this would be another disappointment like the Mephistopheles. It was similar in some ways (lots of sweetness and alcohol), but this was not as over the top and better balanced. Still a little to sweet and alcoholic for me.

ABUSEDGOAT (2653) - California, USA - MAY 16, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 24, 2016 Rerate after over a decade. Black pour, tan head, decent lace/retention. Aroma is huge with notes of chocolate, light roast, PNW hops, light dried darker fruit, caramel. Full bodied, this is still one of the best Imperial Stouts that didnít sit in a barrel.