overall

RATINGS: 3051   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.27/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
One of the earliest examples of the Russian Imperial Stout in the United States, Expedition Stout offers immensely complex flavors crafted specifically with vintage aging in mind, as its profile will continue to mature and develop over the years. A huge malt body is matched to a heady blend of chocolate, dark fruits, and other aromas. Intensely bitter in its early months, the flavors will slowly meld and grow in depth as the beer ages.
Available October-March.

bipolar1 (268) - Hancock, Michigan, USA - OCT 11, 2001
UPDATED: MAR 31, 2005 This beer is a pot roast in a bottle. Some stouts fall short on flavor after extended drinking...not this. Aromas and flavors of black licorice, dates, motor oil, and burnt meat. You should almost cut it 50/50 with club soda. This is truly an awesome beer, and I’m going to cellar a bunch of it.

trappist12 (200) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - DEC 24, 2001
Best stout ever. At first, I failed to pour it correctly so it appeared incredibly flat. I then experiemented with the pour. Fantastic

raindog (560) - Evansville, Indiana, USA - JUN 16, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 2, 2006 Draft:This was the best Imperial I’ve had.I like it much more than the bottle.It was cleaner,rounder,and the flavors lingered forever.I wanted to drink this all night. Bottle:.Extreme motor oil maple syrup appearence.slight carbonation leaves a quick to leave brownish head.Aroma I didn’t even know existed to mankind. The palate is a bombshell of chocolate,coffee,burnt sugar,roasted malts,and a noticable hop finsh.

MOboy (504) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - JUL 13, 2002
Ok, let me take a deep breath and calm down. This beer pours blacker than night with a head equally, if not more beautiful than A. Le Coq. The nose is so thick and sweet I can't stand it anymore, I must taste this! I think I just came. Thick as melted chocolate. Great smoky taste and complex malt/hop combo. This beer leaves me with a feeling that someone out there really does care. damn this is good shit!

MartinT (10037) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 27, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 17, 2017 Molasses, dark chocolate, honey and licorice coalesce over ash-like roastiness...Resinous hops show off minty tips, as figs, coffee and pumpernickel bread reclaim the malts’ dominion...Bitterness is potent, but all is as balanced as it is complex...This is absolutely delicious and I can’t imagine a better Imperial Stout for my tastes...A 5-year-old vintage is as great as a 1-year-old bottle too...

redlem (1306) - Ohio, USA - FEB 22, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 26, 2005 I have just climbed back out of a seductive encounter with a black hole. As I looked into the glass I could not take my eyes away from this mesmerizing blackness as the brim of the glass kept expanding as the blackness swallowed me in. As you cross over the oily liquid caresses you so there is not a ripple on the surface to show you have been absorbed with a weightless feeling. As you come back from your bliss you realize that 2 hours are missing and your glass empty with the residue calling you back. This is a dangerous beer it should be prescribed by a doctor.

Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 21, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 4, 2005 WOW! Pours with a dark brown to black body (looked like melted dark chocolate) topped with medium thick head and some lacing. WOW! Slightly Sweet chacolatey malt aroma with slight roasty notes. Incredible aroma. WOW! Sweet Chocolatey malt flavor with a slight bitterness, roasty notes and a slightly bitter roasted coffee finish. WOW! Full Bodied and very smooth. WOW!

car123 (1) - mansfield, Ohio, USA - OCT 24, 2003 does not count
my all time favorite!!!!! never without it. each bottle is a symphony of flavor!!!!!!!&#

heemer77 (5360) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - MAR 22, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 5, 2007 It had a little, orange head. Has a rich coffee and toffee aroma with some ginger. There is also a hint of vanilla, very rich. Flavor is slightly sweet with a little alcohol kick. Coffee, toffee and deep roasted flavors are hiding in here. Some slight vanilla and mushrooms are also here.There was no lacing in my glass. Excellent all around. I have had this many times and I am impressed more each time. It has more balance than a lot of impy stouts. Because of the consistentcy of this great beer at various stages, I am bumping up my rating. This is THE definitive imperial stout.

MagikLair (9) - Alexandria, Minnesota, USA - MAY 23, 2004 does not count
Pours an inky black with no head or carbonation. It’s so thick that that, combined with its deep, black appearance makes it looks just like used motor oil (as many have pointed out). The aroma is of roasted malts, alcohol, and cocoa. The smell is so powerful and rich. This feels heavy and thick in the mouth, like syrup. The flavor explodes with coffee, roasted malts, plums, brown sugar; this is very complex. This is my favorite brew.