overall

RATINGS: 2603   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.19/5   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Starting with six different hop varietals added to the brew kettle & culminating with a massive dry-hop addition of Simcoe hops, Bell’s Hopslam Ale possesses the most complex hopping schedule in the Bell’s repetoire. Selected specifically because of their aromatic qualities, these Pacific Northwest varieties contribute a pungent blend of grapefruit, stone fruit, and floral notes. A generous malt bill and a solid dollop of honey provide just enough body to keep the balance in check, resulting in a remarkably drinkable rendition of the Double India Pale Ale style.

Rusty (1547) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - MAR 2, 2008
Pours a hazy orange with a small foamy head. Aroma of hops and citrus dominates this one. Taste of hops, malt, honey with a little bitterness that mingles with sweetness dance off of my tongue, yum. The Alcohol is very well hidden too, holy crap this is good. Another winner from bells.

pumpmaster (1402) - Pembroke Pines, Florida, USA - MAR 2, 2008
12 ounce bottle purchased at Case & Keg Boca Raton, FL for $3.00 Excellent!

CheesedMan (555) - Saint Cloud, Florida, USA - MAR 1, 2008
Poured a warm copper-orange hue. The aroma is pine resin, tropical fruits, the malt charecter does come through, adding a balancing note, brining this beer into focus. The flavor is not as brutish as I had anticipated, but is simply glorious. The alcohol is so well hidden, which could be a very dangerous thing.

aspidites (1272) - manteca, California, USA - MAR 1, 2008
Vegetative astringent underhopped IPA that does not deserve to called a double. Herbal and piney nose with some pvc (phenolic) notes. Mildly sweet and vegetative palate (Columbus?). Astringent and metallic finish.

DonMagi (5593) - bantervile, Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - MAR 1, 2008
Bottle massive huge thanks to badgerben. Aroma is pine grapefruit, lychee tangarine, orange character, peach and apricot, bursting with tasty hops. Taste is similar the honey is evedent reall hoppy fruity charcater but balanced and super tasty. I can easy nderstand how all you american chaps get a 6 pack of this and find yourself in a bad way. Iv got another 5 to get me going, yee haaaaaaa!!!!!!!

BellsFan (49) - Michigan, USA - MAR 1, 2008
By far the best beer Bells has brewed. Strong hoppy aroma and flavor with citrus blend. I have not had it on tap, but you can’t go wrong in the bottle.

AgentSteve (1647) - SF Bay Area, California, USA - FEB 29, 2008
UPDATED: AUG 8, 2008 Bottle courtesy of mreusch (Thanks Matt!) Pours a nice orange copper hue with fluffy head that develops. The aroma fills the air with sweet pineapple and a touch of malt. Flavor is equally powerfull, with less sweetness and more bitter hops, but not in a bad way, especially as it lingers without subsiding until a full 10 seconds pass. A hint of honey can be found if you look, but it doesn’t stand out too much. Really good brew.

JFURYCAT (1078) - East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 29, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 31, 2010 Rerate: holy tangerine flavor batman! I thought I was harsh a few years back so I bought a bottle at krugels in Wilkes barre to retry. This is pretty drinkable even with a nice biting high ibu count. Body seems drier on bottle with a nice dose of carbonation. A lovely beer altogether so I’m sorry for the previos slate even though it still seems a wee bit too fruity. Old review: This has to be the most overrated beer at this site. I had it on tap at the Brickskeller, Washington DC. It had a medium body with some resin and citrus but there is this peach-like thing and the malt layer seems to diminish the otherwise high IBU count. I will have to sample this on bottle. I enjoyed this but seriously rather crack open a Nugget Nectar instead. The aroma here is noteworthy.

bassbuckeye (81) - Ohio, USA - FEB 29, 2008
On friggin tap at Brews in Granville Ohio... nice poor with a decent pillowy head. Beutiful hops feal in my mouth. Fruit, citrus, pine and flowers with a nice bitter ending one of my favorites.

flatmatt (1587) - Northville, Michigan, USA - FEB 29, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 25, 2012 Re-rate 1/26/12, on the last couple bottles of my first sixer this year. Well, it’s not uncommon for me to, at times, get to wondering what’s so great about IPAs in general. Every year, this manages to come along and set me straight. So fresh and juicy, so awesome. I upped this rating to a 4.6 last time I rerated it, but it’s about time to max out the rating scale on this one.

Previous re-rate: Re-rate 1/16/09. 12 oz bottle. Pours slightly hazy amber orange with a nice, fluffy off-white head. Aroma is heavy on grapefruit and floral aromas, with some mild honeylike sweetness. Flavor is great, very strong grapefruit hops, with floral hops and again a moderate sweetness supporting them. A bit of biscuity malts are present to underscore the hops, but this one is all about the hops. The alcohol can be sensed very subtly in the bitter finish. Still puts the other IIPAs I’ve had to shame, and as such it unfortunately makes finding a satisfying IIPA all the more difficult by comparison. I’ll have to agree with my earlier review, too, that the label illustration is pretty entertaining. 9/5/9/5/18