overall

RATINGS: 1573   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84/5   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
The satisfying elements of both stout and coffee come together in this full-bodied treat. A marriage of Sumatra's best with rich chocolate and roasted malt provides for a truly enlightening beer.

BrockLanders (780) - Panama City, Florida, USA - DEC 27, 2005
Poured a very very dark black...big deep brown head. Nose is coffee all over the place. This is kinda how I want my homebrew IS to smell. Big full mouthfeel and lotsa chococoffemalt in the taste. I like this stuff. Maybe I’ll mix it half-n-half with some Expedition. Nice roasty flavor is pervasive...finishes with a slight burnt, bitterness I like. Dry and roasty. Great beer.

hopdog (13102) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 22, 2005
12oz bottle. Poured a dark black with a huge (5 finger) brown head. Aromas of coffee grounds, roasted malts, and chocolate. Tastes of chocolate, coffee, caramel, and roasted malts. Lots of lacing left on the glass. I really enjoyed this one.

weeare138 (936) - Collegeville, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 6, 2005
Appears a dark black with a half inch head that retains nicely. Tons of lacing all over the glass. Smell is of creamy, dark brewed coffee, fruity, and intense. Taste is of coffee brewed with dark malt coming through. Mouthfeel is fizzy, creamy, like an ice cream float. Drinkability...ok but kind of hard to figure out.

footbalm (1219) - Western Minneapolis Suburbs, Minnesota, USA - NOV 28, 2005
Old notes again here.Do not know how old this was. Big strong coffee nose with a big backup of roasted malts.Had a bit of a smokiness to it but no mistaking this for a (coffee )stout. Thick and chewy on the tongue.

brainskins (14) - evansville, Indiana, USA - NOV 18, 2005
Bottle - batch # 6624 -Pours black as the night with a small brown head. Smells strongly of coffee with hints of chocolate, roasted malts, and raisin. Very creamy and thick mouth feel. Tastes like an alcoholic cafe mocha with caramel and roasted malts. Nice bitter finish and very coffee/espresso like.

RedHaze (371) - Where the hell am I?, Nebraska, USA - NOV 18, 2005
Pours a very dark oily black, with a 1/4 inch head that slowly fades to a thin cap and leaves lots of lacing on the sides of the glass. Smell: very strong roasted, almost burnt smelling coffee, mild hints of chocolate, malt and hops. The burned coffee smell has me a litlle bit worried. Taste: the coffee stand out right away, followed by some bitter hops, and a little chocolate. The burnt smell doen’t follow through as much as I feared it would in the taste. Mouthfeel is nice and thick, just how I like my stouts. Not my favorite stout, but still glad I gave it a try.

ChillCoat (1029) - Concord, California, USA - NOV 15, 2005
Bottled. Via trade w/ kramer17801. Pours black with a tan head. Aromas of chocolate, coffee and licorice. ’Thicker than whole milk’ mouth feel. Coffee and malt flavor is fantastic. A bit bitter but I would guess that would age out in time. Overall a pretty good beer. I’d enjoy one of these from time to time (if I could get it).

bethmatt0421 (337) - Covington, Kentucky, USA - NOV 11, 2005
12oz bottle. Pours dark as oil. and the head is a dark coffee tan. The best part of this beer is the aroma. Very cappuchino/espresso like, and chocolates, and roastiness, just absolutely amazing. The best smelling beer i’ve had yet. I expected this to taste as so too. Being my two favorite things, beer and coffee, in one bottle. It tastes great, malty, chocolates, cappuchino/espresso. No hops, but who needs it, in this brew. Just did not have the WOW flavor I was expecting, which I found in the aroma. Overall, amazing beer, well crafted, and even better balanced. Highly recommended.

adrian910ss (2595) - Doylestown, PA, USA - NOV 9, 2005
Pours a pitch black color with a medium sized creamy beige head. Aroma is full of strong dark rich roasted coffee. Taste is dominated by burnt roasted coffee with slight hints towards dark chocolate. Different kind of stout, yet quite enjoyable.

irishsnake (355) - Oakland, California, USA - NOV 4, 2005
beer pours a practically impenetrable black, with a slight deep red glow around the edges. head is deep tan, retains wella nd leaves ok lace. pretty good amount of coffe in the nose, but also some nice chocalatey malt notes. flavor actually starts rather sweet and chocolatey, but then wham! - a rush of rather strong coffee - really more than the beer can support. we are definately in the cold-fizzy-espresso realm here. yikes! not quite as well-balanced as it could be...I mean, they are really going for it here, and they sure got a lot of coffee flavor in this beer...but to the point that it is kind of light on actual beer flavor.