overall

RATINGS: 2475   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99/5   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
This is a full-bodied stout with plenty of roast flavor as well as hints of molasses and chocolate. Ridiculous amounts of black and caramel malts make this stout smooth, creamy, and utterly opaque.

sudsmeister (78) - Westminster, Colorado, USA - JAN 27, 2007
This stout pours dark and relatively thick. Not too strong and not too weak. Very flavorful with coffee and chocolate standing out. Best served a bit on the cold side. I like this stuff!

CelticBrew (912) - The Crystal Coast, North Carolina, USA - JAN 27, 2007
Aroma of dark coffee with a slight hint of chocolates. Small brown foam head, dissapaited quickly. Flavor is of dark burnt chocolate coffeeís. Simply delicious. My first Bellís beer, very impressed. Easy to enjoy and sessionable. Would love to try a tap version.

Hawksfan17 (890) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - JAN 27, 2007
Pours a thick black with no head really. Smells of toffee and caramel at first then licorice follows strongly. The flavor is of a roasted licorice then as it warms you can taste more coffee. I donít like licorice, so leaving that in my mouth afterwards wasnít pleasant.

505 (271) - Echo Park, California, USA - JAN 26, 2007
Great beer when you want something not too heavy, but something very good. Nice roasty aroma, some licorice and caramel. Flavor is complex, well balanced, some caramel, roastiness, no complaints. Medium to full bodied. Nice almost flawless beer. Definitely worth buying.

shigadeyo (3730) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JAN 25, 2007
UPDATED: APR 6, 2007 22 oz draught at the Winking Lizard Tavern (Crosswoods) in Columbus, Ohio on 1/23/2007... Bellís Kalamazoo Stout is pitch black and has an extremely dense and creamy mocha-colored head. The head pretty much never disappears and leaves dense lacing on the glass from top to bottom. The aroma is mocha with a hint of roastiness. The flavor is roasted malt, cocoa, and some mocha latte. The finish is roasty and dry with some black coffee-like bitterness. This stout is full-bodied with a very creamy texture. Overall this beer is rich, flavorful, well balanced, and an all around great stout. In my opinion, the draught version is better than the bottled version (at least newer, non-vintage bottles)... Rating: 8 5 8 4 18 = 4.3.

4/02/2007: I had a pint of this on draught at Fries Cafe (Cincinnati, Ohio) during the Bellís Oberon Release Party... Bellís Kalamazoo Stout (draught) is rich and nutty with hints of chocolate and coffee. It is really good, but not nearly as good or complex as the bottle version. It also seems to be a bit more thin on draught than in the bottle. I enjoyed trying this on draught, but prefer the complexity and depth of aromas and flavors of the bottled version...

islay (2634) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JAN 24, 2007
12 oz. bottle. Aroma of mocha, roasted almonds, brown sugar, and a touch of hops. Pours a dark brunette with an amber hue and a small to moderate amount of sable head. The dominant flavor is coffee, and it is overly strong. There is also a slight lemon tartness, apparently from the hops. I do taste the licorice but probably only because the bottle told me it was there. The flavors are not particularly complex. Not as much aftertaste as I expected. Medium-bodied and lively in the palate. The beer becomes bland as it warms. I recommend drinking it relatively cold. Considering how highly rated this beer is, it stands as a disappointment. Frankly, I probably was generous in the rating. I easily could have rated this as low as a 3.3. Itís not bad, but Iíve certainly tasted better traditional stouts.

MaxxDaddy (415) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - JAN 24, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 15, 2007 12 oz., batch 7289, courtesy of GrbDg (thanks!). Poured pitch black with some thin tan head. Aroma is of coffee and nuts, but not in that brown ale way. The taste brings the same flavors plus some chocolate and I thought I may have caught some licorice in there. I love the malty front followed by the coffee and bitter chocolate finish. Just the right amount of lingering for me. I really enjoyed the nuttiness this one had. While some people think the mouthfeel was too watery, I think itís just fine. This isnít supposed to be an impy. Too bad this was the only bottle I got. My first Bells experience and boy was it lovely.

optemoz (171) - Apex, North Carolina, USA - JAN 24, 2007
12 oz Bottle - Pours a beautiful deep black with a tiny bubble brown head... Aroma is lots of burnt grains and coffee.. almost like chocolate chip cookies... Wonderful flavor.. lots of black coffee with some sweet hints in there... this is an AWSOME stout.. im in love.. i want to move to Kalamazoo

kegoguinness (45) - Dodge City, Washington DC, USA - JAN 23, 2007
Bottle: Pours dark and lovely. The aroma is almost overpowering earthy at first (almost of mold) but quickly dissipates to more balanced levels. The beer remains a constant blend of hops character and dry malt finish. I didnít get overwhelmed with licorice but noticed just a slight bite from it. I enjoyed this all the way through.

BuckeyeBoy (7510) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JAN 23, 2007
12oz Bottle pours out a pitch black topped with a nice tan head. Great aroma and tast of black coffee and roast. I also pick up a little smoke. Thanks to Buckybeer for this one.