overall
RATINGS: 2480   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99/5   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
This is a full-bodied stout with plenty of roast flavor as well as hints of molasses and chocolate. Ridiculous amounts of black and caramel malts make this stout smooth, creamy, and utterly opaque.

oisnotdead87 (1) - Marquette, Michigan, USA - OCT 10, 2006 does not count
This is one of my favorite beers, so my opinion is biased. I usually drink at least a 6 pack of it a month. Aroma: Quite strong but not overpowering, very malty and hints of coffee as well. Taste: Very rich malt, coffee taste with slight hints of chocolate. Bitter after taste, also a bit heavy in your gut. Little white head that goes away fast. This is a wonderful beer and I recomend it highly.

bigbish (712) - California, USA - OCT 9, 2006
A classic stout from a classic stout house. Roastiness, coffee, nice and creamy. A classic.

BenDover (230) - Texas, USA - OCT 7, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 7, 2007 Coffee aroma. Burnt caramel, very roasted taste. Very, very good. I’ve re-rated this because it’s grown on me over time -- my new favorite stout.

roccotool (26) - USA - OCT 5, 2006
Aroma: exciting. Appearance: was good, but not as creamy as others, with a head that disappears soon.Flavor: definite let-down, not creamy, with too much, unbalanced malt. Palate: good. Overall, short of something great. I was excited about trying this native stout, figuring a smaller brewery tries harder. This higher-alcohol beer is in a different category than a classic Irish Stout. It’s more of an Export variety. Definitely NOT a Sweet Stout, either. More complexity is needed.

StephenWade (28) - Hoover, Alabama, USA - OCT 4, 2006
Bottle. Appearance: black with a small head. It smells like a coffee, but less bitter. The taste is a remarkably clean, roasted flavor at first, but finishes with a bitter burned taste and finished a bit unpleasant. Maybe I got a bad batch, because I usually love stouts and am rating this much lower than the average. In all fairness, it traveled a good ways before the tasting. Nevertheless, I must rate as tasted. Maybe I can rerate this one someday with better results.

jimrockford (63) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 29, 2006
!2 oz bottle....Big coffee, toffeee not too much warmth which is good slight liquorice. Greta roastiness too!

Naven (1000) - Poway, California, USA - SEP 29, 2006
12 oz bottle courtesy of Leopoldstoch. Finally! A stout that doesn’t try to be anything other than good. It’s not overdone, super thick or rediculously hopped. It’s pretty much perfect. This is a stout I think I could drink everyday. So nice and tasty, with lots of roasty chocolate and malt flavors going on. Bells is an exceptional brewery.

kenb (1102) - Oregon, USA - SEP 27, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 27, 2007 12 oz bottle via RegallacMC (thanks!). Been looking forward to this one. Pours a midnight black with an average size tan head. Aroma has notes of coffee, licorice and toffee. Flavors remind me of the Shastafarian Porter but less complex. Starts out with sweet molasses and chocolate, then some licorice and some roasted espresso. THin to Medium bodied. Silky mouthfeel. A bit too carbonated. Extremely easy to drink and a very good Stout.

darkbrownale (1) - USA - SEP 21, 2006 does not count
This beer is a necessity for any beer lover. It was the first beer that opened my eyes to what beer was really about. Very dark brown head and has a coffee aroma to it with a hint or caramel. Very roasty and nutty after taste. Extremely smooth and rich in flavor. Deffinatly an upper class stout.

dirkules (629) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 21, 2006
Pitch black pour, black as the Expedition some creamy, lacing and a dark brown head. Superb, potent dark chocolate Aroma is bold dark Malt with a wisp of choclate powder and the full Roast of coffee. Even some smoke notes as well. Tartness in the palate is very nice and full-taste in the medium-heavy body through and through