overall
RATINGS: 1257   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.23/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
A refreshing, blond colored pale ale. Bell’s pale ale is made almost exclusively from pale malt. It expresses a spicy floral hop aroma and taste.

NaturalIce (149) - originally from Michigan, New York, USA - JAN 26, 2005
The aroma is sweet at first, followed by a sense of bitterness; rather yeasty overall. This beer has a beautiful pour, color is foggy gold with bright white head, I wouldn’t expect anything else from Bell’s. The flavor is amazing, I’d say Sierra Nevada tastes better, but it has a nice blend of citrus and banana taste to it. Overall, still a great beer!

SpudClampDawg (1029) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - JAN 24, 2005
Banana peel, vanilla and loads of sweet malts make up the aroma. This beer seems closer to a hefe than an APA to me - absolutely lacks any hop character. Dry finish. I think the sixer I picked may have sat around for a while.

JasonG (776) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - JAN 20, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 16, 2006 Tap at Cafe: Crystal clear pale yellow color with small white head. Aroma of corn, toasted malts, faint whiff of herbal hops. FLavor is acidic, touch of malt, faintly bitter in the finish. Nothing special.

Odeed (1805) - Bakersfield, California, USA - JAN 13, 2005
thanks to csbosox for the brew.it poured a dirty yellow with some floaties in the bottom.aroma of hay,hops,lemons,and carbonation.much is the same in the flavor.this is a very good pale ale for sure.once again bells brings the pain!

AlchemistZ (493) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - DEC 26, 2004
A brief preamble to this beer: This is truely one of my favorite pale ales. It is one of those beers that makes me salivate when I think about it. It is complex and at the same time quenching. Its pale color makes me want to be outside on a warm, summer’s evening enjoying the company of friends. I could go on...dark gold in color with a thin, white head. Aroma is mildly woody, black curranty hops with just a hint of citrus (it lost its ’hair perm’ aroma a few years ago). Malt aroma is mild but I appreciate how unique this aroma is considering I am a fan of the four ’C’ hops. Flavor is much the same as the aroma but there is also a funky, unique character that is the ultimate signature to this pale ale. Good acidity, an overall dry character, but a firm, silky malt body. It is as though Bells brewed a beer for me.

mdi (573) - Nebraska, USA - DEC 24, 2004
120z bottle, no BBD. Slight hops in nose, along with an oaty/wheaty/ barley touch of honey. Chuncky blond pour, thick lacing. Crisp, light, spicy ale. bitter hop finish. Maltladen middle. nicely balanced light ale. solid and almost charming.

pdoyleusa (17) - Clinton Twp., Michigan, USA - DEC 23, 2004
Not too bitter, (or biter enough). Medium body, medium malt, not exceptional in any regard. Beats the pants off of sierra nevada, if you consider that a pale (and I do, barely)

SoylentBlack (123) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - DEC 22, 2004
Absolutely no aroma (well, almost). Hazy, not much of a head, but it’s a pale ale. Not much taste, a little sweet. Not as hoppy as I prefer my pale ales. I’m having trouble finding microbrews here in UP Michigan for the holidays...

BennyTicklez (621) - USA - DEC 19, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 14, 2005 A lighter plae ale than I had expected. Pours golden with a white head. Big malt taste with average hop flavor. Crisp beer. Well made, but disappointing for Bells.

SpringsLicker (3665) - Tennessee, USA - DEC 9, 2004
Got this one sent to me from Indra. Thanks! This one poured into the glass a clear bright golden color and then the yeast came at the end and muddied it. It must be bottle conditioned! Tall sticky head that fell rather quickly but stuck tenaciously to the sides of the glass, leaving blotter patterns all the way down. The aroma has a yeasty breadyness to it. The first part of my tongue to respond were the sides, caused by the slightly bitter aspect of the brew, then that was washed back for some mildly sweet maltiness before fading into a nice dry finish. This is another worthy addition to the other Bell’s I have enjoyed and would be a good one to seek out if the more bitter, bigger IPA’s just aren’t your thing.