overall

RATINGS: 1575   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.67/5   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
A dark ale for all occasions. A blend of dark malt gives this beer flavors of coffee and chocolate with some smokey roasted notes.

IPAndy (120) - minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JUN 23, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 6, 2006 Bottle #7393. Poured into English Pint. Displays huge creamy head with bubbles on top. Smells of roasted malt, some coffee, some smokiness. Wow, they really describe the flavor of this one perfectly on the back of the bottle. Finish is really good, chewy and slightly sour. Wonderful. Rerate: I keep loving this more and more. I upped my overall by a point because I have had probably 5 bottles in two weeks, and with my beer attention span, that is insane. I still want more. Also, I poured into a wider mouthed glass to get more aroma, so I bumped that up a notch. Note: This is a quite fresh bottle. I have had this beer before when it was not as fresh, and it was very bad.

Louipa (121) - USA - JUN 20, 2006
I agree, not crazy good, but I’ll drink a few. ;) I liked it overall. Its pretty much the commercial description. A-

Hangover (1136) - oxford, Georgia, USA - JUN 18, 2006
Dark brown/black with a little bit of light showing through. Coffee and roasted malt aroma. Nice roasty taste. More coffee. Decent body. Above average but not crazy good.

buckybeer (666) - Eau Claire, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 13, 2006
A pretty good porter. Pours almost black with a slight head. A roasted coffee taste with hints of chocolate. Good Stuff.

zsb19 (168) - Cincinnati, Kentucky, USA - JUN 12, 2006
Bottle - Pours dark brown with a small tan head with good lacing. Aroma was not very powerful, but had notes of sweetness and chocolate. Palate was a touch on the thin side with a good amount of carbonation that I was not expecting in a porter. Taste was kind of flat for me.....more roasted coffee than anything else, bittersweet with a slight metal taste in the aftertaste. Overall, this one was a bit of a disappointment for me as I expected more from this brewer after tasting some of their other offerings.

gputty (456) - Virgina Beach, Virginia, USA - JUN 11, 2006
From bottle. Poured a deep, dark brown with wispy coffee head. Nose of roasted dark chocolate and grapes. Flavor follows with a bitter finish.

LilKem (1213) - Marietta, Ohio, USA - JUN 8, 2006
wow. this was far more impressive than i expected. aroma is roasted chocolate, some marshmallow, and roasted nuts, almost like a smores on steroids with some rocky road ice cream. flavor is much the same. very nice roasted toasted flavor. a good comfort beer. some like hazelnut coffee flavor to it as well with a hint of outdoor smoke.

User37895 (3042) - - JUN 8, 2006
Eights across the board. A nice porter, poured a dark brown to black color, no tinted edges. Head was one finger thick and tan. Good lacing. Aroma was of chocolate. Flavor was sweet chocolate (like a sweet stout) and lightly balanced with some hops in the finish. Mouthfeel was creamy but not overly thick.

tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - JUN 7, 2006
Bottle. Pours dark amber, near black, with a foamy tan head. It has an aroma of roasted malt, tree bark, and a hint of caramel. The flavor is kind of bitter in a tannic way, then come some notes of roasted malt and cola. Ashy finish. Frankly, I’m a bit disappointed in this one, especially from a brewery that makes so many good beers. Overrated.

Fantomas23 (463) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 4, 2006
Dark coffee/espresso-like aroma with hints of tobacco and smoked bacon. Subtle fruitiness up front (black cherries?) but lots of dark roasted flavors all around (coffee & chocolate). Could have stood to have a more robust body.