overall

RATINGS: 1575   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.68/5   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
A dark ale for all occasions. A blend of dark malt gives this beer flavors of coffee and chocolate with some smokey roasted notes.

NobleSquirrel (3438) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 4, 2006
Finally got around to this, Bottle. Excellent drinking porter, nice and robust with roasted malt being the big character. Enough bitterness from hops to bring it around. Nice. SMooth. Smice.

jimmyh221 (157) - Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, USA - FEB 27, 2006
The color is black with a lasting head and excellent lacing. I smells and tastes a little like coffee. It had a nice smooth finish.

patrick767 (4063) - fort wayne, Indiana, USA - FEB 26, 2006
bottle - Pours black and opaque, with a moderate to thick, long lasting head that leaves some nice lacing. The aroma is very noticeable and smells of roasted malts and coffee. It has a taste to match, along with maybe some chocolate notes. It has a moderate body and a mildly bitter and a finish thatís quite crisp for the style. This beer is another winner from Bellís.

Hollywoodt (240) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - FEB 24, 2006
Batch # 7156. Aroma was sweet malt, and a hint of coffee. Flavor was that and a little chocolate thrown in. A great porter. Get in my belly!

RAYBOY01 (2011) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 22, 2006
Unexpectedly bland porter from this great brewer. Some roasted malt notes...brown sugar/molasses/espresso. But these seemed somewhat muted. My bottle seemed a bit overcarbonated, too, which detracted. I will rerate this one. These guys are so much better than this bottle would indicate.

bfeldmann (1050) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - FEB 17, 2006
"Nice beer from bells again. Poured a dark dark brown head was a nice think tan, great lacing. Aroma was of chocolate. Flavor was sweet chocolate with a hopy finish that was done perfect. Creamy mouthfeel."

UnsofistaCat (241) - Garden City, Michigan, USA - FEB 15, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 5, 2014 A disappointment. Slight cardboard smell. Roasted malt was not rich and flavorful. Even worse, this porter had a terrible mouth feel, something I feel is important to a porter. It was over carbonated, with spritzy like dry bubbles. In a porter???? Very strong vodka taste for 6%. For a Bells, I refuse to believe it?s that bad. I will rerate soon.Well I said I rerate this and I am a man of my word. 6 years later. This beer is smooth cocodelicious. What a snob I must have been back then.

Bockyhorsey (2628) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - FEB 13, 2006
Thanks to Illinismitty
Aroma has a good roasted malt aroma. Dark body with red hue and decent head at pour but was gone fast. Flavor was like drinking cold roasted coffee with hint of alcohol on the end with a little sweetener. Good body texture as it was not watered down as some porters are for my palate. Good roasty aftertaste good brew.

turbo (1271) - Arizona, USA - FEB 13, 2006
Bottle poured black with a light head and lacing. Aroma of sweet roasty malts, coffee and brown suger. Flavor is a roasy burnt malt with a bit of a metalic taste on the finish.

PhysZac (69) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - FEB 3, 2006
Bottle. Pours deep mahogany with small and quickly diminishing head and no carbonation. Little head gives little aroma and all I can pick up is sweet malt (maybe brown sugar) and a little yeast. Taste is much the same with not a lot of complexity. As the beer warmed, I did pick up some very tasty roasted malt and a very slight hop finish. Very smooth palate. I think it would make a great session beer as I enjoyed it and it was drinkable, but it had little really going for it.