overall

RATINGS: 643   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.41/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Drawn from one of our oldest recipes, Smitten Ale began as part of a series of rye beers at our Eccentric Café. The combination of sharp citrus & resinous flavors from the hops with the earthy, rustic overtones of the rye malt contribution yield an interesting take on the American Pale Ale.

commonmac (1367) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 6, 2015
Tap at Memory Lanes during bowling. Pint glass. Minimal white head with nice lacing. Golden leaning towards orange. Not a lot of aroma but some bitterness and a crisp quality to it. Taste has a healthy grainy quality with the rye bitterness making itself known. Not an overwhelming nature as it’s working with some citrus notes. Aftertaste is limited but the grains and lemon peel are the prevailing notes. Nothing complex here. Not smitten...just mildly interested.

slowrunner77 (13203) - Reno, Nevada, USA - APR 2, 2015
not sure when this came out. if fresh, it’s really not very exciting. i love Bells beers and generally like rye beers. this is nice enough but quite boring, especially for them.

airlocksniffer (11) - Crookston, Minnesota, USA - APR 1, 2015
Crisp and refreshing. A little bit of a hoppy aftertaste. A little bit of cloudiness. It’s not the best I’ve had from Bell’s. Interesting, but I’d pass on a second.

rdixon77 (3106) - Georgia, USA - MAR 29, 2015
Old rating. Dark gold. Bread dough, rye spice, lemon zest, mild hop bitterness. Nicely delicate, nothing too overpowering. Good stuff.

edwardbass (865) - Illinois, USA - MAR 28, 2015
12 oz bottle. Color is darkish yellow, medium-sized white fluffy head. Aroma? Lost on my sinuses. I like the taste quite a bit, citrusy with citrus rind and pine bitterness and a little bit of spice. I get almost no rye flavor from it. The carbonation is a bit much for me, and makes the beer fizz in my mouth a too much, which I don’t enjoy. With more subdued carbonation, I’d enjoy this a lot more. Decent, but not worth repeating.

northropfrye (3731) - Steinbach, Manitoba, CANADA - MAR 28, 2015
On tap at Rhombus Guys Grand Forks. I didn’t get a lot of rye in this. Orange body. Hoppy pine nice bitterness. Stil not the true I was expecting. But a nice IPA.

drpimento (3814) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 26, 2015
Appearance has a large off-white head, some lace and a clear amber color. Aroma is malt, hops, yeast, and a little fruit. Taste is similar to nose, bittersweet with a little carbonic tang and lingering bitterness on back of the tongue.The flavor isn’t bad, just not super interesting. Body is just right. One off for me I think.

Cool_Bond (2845) - KUNG_AV_OL @ Instagram, SWEDEN - MAR 25, 2015
Fruity aroma. The fruity and bitter taste. OK bitterness which fills the upper part of the mouth a weak moment. Okay beer. Follow me @ Kung av öl @ Facebook for more pictures and ratings.

MadShaolin (100) - - MAR 24, 2015
Light orange in color. Lots of citrus orange, lime and rye aroma piling up. Hops and rye duke it out on the mid palate. Rye wins out in the end. It's a great beer. If rye reminds us of winter, I wished the bright, citrusy hops would take over after the rye as a "winter to spring" continuation. But that's being picky. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

mfhennig (286) - McHenry County, Illinois, USA - MAR 17, 2015
Poured from a 12 oz bottle, foggy golden pour, creamy white head. Mildly hoppy aroma with some spice mixed in. medium bitterness. Moderately bitter brew with some spice at the end. Medium bodied, a bit oily, lively carbonation. Probably a one timer for me.