overall

RATINGS: 1934   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 183   ABV: 6.1%
Sweeter and smoother than Kalamazoo Stout. A beer for special winter occasions. Great with chocolate desserts. Available October-March.

JoshuaB (476) - Detroit, Michigan, USA - NOV 28, 2005
Nice inky black with huge brown pillowing head. Nose is very roasty, some nice dark coffee notes as well. Taste is much more roasty and much less sweet than I was expecting. Begins with a nice bittersweet chocolate note that turns into an espresso flavor and bitterness. Finishes slightly bitter, with a touch of burnt flavor. Much closer to their porter than the Kzoo stout. Mouthfeel is outstanding, lush and velvety. Nothing too complex, but solid. Cant believe this is 7.5% ABV. Begins to sweeten up a bit as it warms. Serve near 55-60.

adrian910ss (2575) - Doylestown, PA, USA - NOV 22, 2005
Pours a dark black color with a small laced beige head that vanishes rather quickly. Aroma is roasted coffee,cappuchino,black licorice and malts. Taste is very smooth and creamy with hints of chocolate,coffee,black licorice,malts and prunes. Another excellent stout from Bell’s.

Emil (6065) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - NOV 20, 2005
Bottle. Black colour with a fast dissapering big baige head. Roasted, liquorice, coffee aroma and a sweet roasted, chocolate, coffee taste. Medium to full body and a sweet velvet finish.

joergen (28164) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - NOV 19, 2005
Bottled, thanks to René for sharing. Dark brown coloured with a small beige head. Aroma of malts, liquorice and coffee with notes of dried fruits. Roasted flavour of liquorice and coffee.

Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - NOV 12, 2005
There is a delicious lip-smacking hop element to this in addition to the sweetness. This beer is brilliant in how it handles the sweetness, it’s never overbearing. Like many Bell’s beers this has a very full body and a delicious presence in the glass.

ChillCoat (1029) - Concord, California, USA - NOV 9, 2005
Bottle via trade with Dickinsonbeer. Pours ink blank with seemingly no carbonation yet it still manages a small tan head that quickly dissipates. Fruity aroma with chocolate, coffee and prune notes. Thick mouth feel. Tons of chocolate flavor. Taste seems light for a stout but who am I to judge? All in all a great sipper.

wnhay (722) - Princeton, New Jersey, USA - OCT 30, 2005
Poured dark brown with a tan head. Retention was a little short. Smell had coffee, chocolate, espresso and dark fruits plus some caramel. Taste was really good but not exciting. Where were the dimensions? Good stuff none the less. Definitly worth the try.

Philip (436) - Illinois, USA - OCT 20, 2005
On tap at Crane Alley, Urbana, IL (not for long though). The richness makes this a tasty sipper. I haven’t had a lot of cream stouts, but among those I have had, this is the finest. The lack of roasted notes suprised me, although this allowed the chocolate and vanilla flavors to shine through. If I hadn’t known, I would have guessed Baltic Porter, but maybe that is due to my general unfamilarity with the style.

lamas (1639) - Washington DC, USA - OCT 4, 2005
Bottle courtesy of CharlesDarwin. Batch ID #6657. Packaged on: November 3, 2004. A thin light-brown head sits atop a jet-black body. Chocolate, vanilla beans, coffee, cocoa, caramel and rich malts make up the aroma. Smells almost like a chocolate cake. Medium, oily body. Slightly bitter coffee tastes throughout. A sour maltiness is also present. A cocoa-powdery finish. I suspect this bottle is past its peak.

UnsofistaCat (241) - Garden City, Michigan, USA - OCT 4, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 5, 2005 I was just telling my psychologist how I used to force grasshoppers to eat things when I was a kid. (Just kidding about the psychologist). Grasshoppers create this weird tobacco spit-froth while they eat. I suppose these are things you learn when you spend long summers in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Anyhow, this stout reminded me of, yes, grasshopper spit. Very dark with not much of a head. Very sticky. I could detect some alcohol in this one. Nice faint smell of roasted malt and molasses. Smooth down the pipe. Real smooth. I’m embarrassed to admit this might be a little too earthy for me personally. Nice hop flavor on the front, backed up by pure malt. Great finish. This is well done. Just a little bit over the top for my wimpy tastes. Added after finishing: Slight nose of a camp fire. This is also a tad on the sour side.