overall

RATINGS: 1927   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 183   ABV: 6.1%
Sweeter and smoother than Kalamazoo Stout. A beer for special winter occasions. Great with chocolate desserts. Available October-March.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
mvcramer (243) - Lexington, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 26, 2008
Purchased at Caponeís in PA. I didnít think it was as good as Rogueís Chocolate or LeftHandís Milk Stout, but still a good offering from Bells. Dark pour, rich tan head and sweet brown sugary aroma. Coffee and chocolate dominate, as expected. As the folks at Bells indicate, smoother than Kalamazoo.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
theyshookhands (243) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - FEB 12, 2012
Pours a nice black with a fair cocoa head and some lace. Aroma is of chocolate, roasted malts, caramel. Nice flavor, roasted malts, chocolate, caramel. Smooth, some carbonation, sweet.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
darb85 (243) - Canton, Michigan, USA - OCT 6, 2014
Sweet and smooth with mellow finish. Pours jet black with one finger heíd. Very smooth mouth feel

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
entertheiceman (242) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - FEB 25, 2006
Very creamy (ya think?) mouthfeel and a rich sweet roasted chocolate flavor but I was expecting something a bit more "over the top."

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Bamaboy1975 (242) - Suffolk, Virginia, USA - JAN 2, 2014
Jet black in color and I don't see any light getting through this brew. I see a wisp of light brown foam on the top of this beer. I smell rich dark malt,roasted barley, and black licorice. The mouthfeel is silky smooth and is a nice contrast to the bitterness from the roasted barley that fades into a light sweetness at the back of the palate. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
bretupdegraff (242) - Fishers, Indiana, USA - OCT 17, 2008
dark pour - looks like the kalamazoo and expedition stout - full head - aroma was not very strong - palate was a bit thin - taste is Malt and Milk and butter?- When oh when will I stop buying the MOCHA - Cream - Vanilla stouts - they all just don’t work for me.. I did like the FFF Mocha Stout though... Probably a well made beer but too weak for me - not complex enough- too smooth for me. I cerntainly enjoyed this but will not be jumping back to this...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
AtlAggie (241) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - NOV 1, 2009
Pours deep chocolate brown. Aroma is mildly smoky, chocolate, vanilla, roasted sweet malts, touch of soy and coffee. Pretty smooth flavor, slightly smoky, lots of dark bitter chocolate, slight bitterness on the end. Good stout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
UnsofistaCat (241) - Garden City, Michigan, USA - OCT 4, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 5, 2005 I was just telling my psychologist how I used to force grasshoppers to eat things when I was a kid. (Just kidding about the psychologist). Grasshoppers create this weird tobacco spit-froth while they eat. I suppose these are things you learn when you spend long summers in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Anyhow, this stout reminded me of, yes, grasshopper spit. Very dark with not much of a head. Very sticky. I could detect some alcohol in this one. Nice faint smell of roasted malt and molasses. Smooth down the pipe. Real smooth. Iím embarrassed to admit this might be a little too earthy for me personally. Nice hop flavor on the front, backed up by pure malt. Great finish. This is well done. Just a little bit over the top for my wimpy tastes. Added after finishing: Slight nose of a camp fire. This is also a tad on the sour side.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
micronaut129 (241) - chalfontborotowntonbergville, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 16, 2014
Deep dark very nearly black beer with a big tawny colored head that lingers on for quite awhile. It appears to be well carbonated. Aroma is that of sweet roasted malts also chocolate and coffee. Definitily has a sweet roasted malt character to it. I get a nice complex roasted malt flavor upfront. then turns mellow and sweet. A very nice mouth feel with a smooth soft mellowness and a dry finish. Nice lacing from the sticky foam head. I taste tasted this beer waiting for my kids to come home from school. It was a cool blustery day with clouds in the sky. My flag was waving in the breeze in front of a brillant red maple turning quickly in the autumn sky. That was a good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Hollywoodt (240) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - FEB 4, 2006
Batch #7143. Poured dark brown to black. Malty aroma with some chocolate mixed in. Some good coffee and chocolate taste. Get in my belly!