overall

RATINGS: 1934   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 183   ABV: 6.1%
Sweeter and smoother than Kalamazoo Stout. A beer for special winter occasions. Great with chocolate desserts. Available October-March.

BenDover (230) - Texas, USA - JAN 7, 2007
Pours very dark, almost black, with a deep tan/brown head, very dense. Very complex taste, sweet with a roasty touch. Great stuff. Not as good as Kalamazoo, but really good.

Harsebrau (227) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - FEB 4, 2007
Tasty sweet stout. Pours pitch black with a mocha head. Buttercream frosting and oak aroma. Smooth malty flavor of chocolate and smoke with a hop edge. Nice in the mouth.

Overml01 (227) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - FEB 20, 2010
Bottle sample at work... gosh, just didn’t like this as much as I was expecting. A good stout in all regards, but I was expecting a little bit more from this beer. Nose is quite good, vanilla, caramel, some bready character that incorperates some spice, perhaps ginger. The palate was a bit lacking in body, and the bitter finish didn’t really play off as much of a malty body as I would have expected. I suppose I may have given it a higher score 3.6 - 3.7 if not for the description of "Double Cream." This implied... well, something I couldn’t find. Not sure if I was expection lactose sugar (though I know this isn’t the cream being implied) or more of a sweet malty body in the middle. But IMO, it was missing something... None-the-less a well put together stout, one worth trying... but it just didn’t do it for me.

mixinnixon2000 (226) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 22, 2008
bottle. nice lower alcohol contend beer considering it’s a Bells stout. good amount of malts and smoothness

sleestak (226) - Williamston, Michigan, USA - OCT 3, 2009
12 oz. bottle enjoyed at the UM/MSU tailgate. Aroma is a blast of coffee and chocolate with a hint of smoke. Taste follows, but with a mellow lactic finish. Light body and incredibly drinkable. A small treasure of a beer.

soccer290 (225) - Highland Park, Illinois, USA - DEC 26, 2009
12 oz bottle. Interested by the ratebeer description of being sweeter and smoother than the Kalamazoo stout. Pours an opaque black with a small tan head. Smells of sugary chocolate, a hint of roasted coffee, and cream. The taste is light chocolate, a hint of coffee in the backbone, some sugar, and creamy-ness. Very smooth going down, but not much character to it. Not bad, but I think I prefer Kalamazoo stout over it, and greatly appreciate Expedition stout as far as Bells’ stouts are concerned.

KawaBomber (225) - New Jersey, USA - JUL 14, 2008
12oz Bottle: Pours virtually black w/ a small brown head. Aroma is of sweet malts & grain. Sweet malts fade into a nice roasted coffee flavor towards the end. Aftertaste is all roasted (yet sweet) malt/mocha flavors. Very smooth & creamy mouthfeel. Yummy!

mstockton (225) - Frankfurt, GERMANY - APR 15, 2007
A nice, chocolate head on this stout that calms down after the pour. Tried it at Crunchy’s in E. Lansing, MI on draft. Strong, sweet stout with a little bit of a coffe and chocolate flavor. Very good, but I like the Kalamazoo stout better. This might give me a headache if I had a few due to the sweetness.

tourette (225) - Seattle, Washington, USA - NOV 24, 2001
Another very good stout. Nice and creamy and tasty.

labattblueleaf (225) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - JAN 12, 2002
Man do I hate dark beers. But this crap was good as hell. Strong so watch how fast and much you consume. Slight coffee/chocolate flavor which was surprisingly smooth to me. I did have about four other things before this though.