overall

RATINGS: 1899   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 183   ABV: 6.1%
Sweeter and smoother than Kalamazoo Stout. A beer for special winter occasions. Great with chocolate desserts. Available October-March.

TheBeerLover (1027) - DC Metro Area, USA - JAN 25, 2006
Bell’s Double Cream Stout pours to a jet black opaque color with a thick, creamy tan head, and a soft carbonation. The nose on this beer is just jam packed with malt and hops. Waves of dark chocolate, sweet malt, coffee, and fragrant piney/citric hop aromas flood the nose. The palate is big and fat on this beer, with lots of big malty flavors. Really wonderful chocolatey flavors, coffee syrup flavor, and sweet malt flavors dance over the tongue, with just a hint of roast. This beer finishes with more big chocolate malt flavors up front, then ends with a balancing piney/citric smack of hop bitterness. Wow. This beer is awesome, and pure bliss to drink. Its fresh, rich, robust, bitter sweet chocolate, and coffee flavors make this beer ideal for deserts. This beer would match well with a desert of chocolate pudding, chocolate layer cake, or as a desert itself

fleagle (18) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - AUG 22, 2011
Pours a dark black with a thin, somewhat persistent head. The taste and aroma is a complex mix of several malts, raisin, chocolate, vanilla and nuts, balanced by just the right bitterness. The mouth is full and lightly carbonated. I’ve sampled a dozen batches of Double Cream Stout. Each one has been slightly different and each one has been great. My favorite beer.

Gingerdoc (1) - - APR 29, 2014 does not count
This beer is absolutely delicious-- creamy, sweet, with just the right amount of bitter. Perfect as a desert.

bipolar1 (268) - Hancock, Michigan, USA - FEB 21, 2001
UPDATED: MAR 12, 2005 The name alone got me to drool. This beer is like a good chocolate malt, and goes great with chocolate covered pretzels. Normally I like a stout to warm up a little, but I love to get these ice-cold in a cooler and get the bottle nice and wet. I swear the best beer is brewed in Michigan, and stuff like this supports my case. The flavor is not totally over the top like Expedition Stout, but rich and creamy indulgence.

stt0229 (6) - - FEB 22, 2013 does not count
Slight hints of coffee on the back end... hits the palate just right. Smooth and creamy!

thebos (38) - Eatonton, Georgia, USA - JAN 5, 2014
UPDATED: JAN 8, 2014 Black pour with brown head. strong, slightly bitter roasted coffee and chocolate aroma. Intense flavor. Bold roasted coffee malt flavor with chocolaty finsh. palate thick and creamy. Delicious.

baseballguy (246) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 13, 2001
Behind that nondescript packaging that looks so unassuming on the store shelf (as if the design hadn’t been completed and they slapped on some temporary labels) is one of the best cream stouts you could ever hope to have. They call it special and it is, but it is also a marvelous everyday libation. What’s not to love?

Kinz (3786) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - OCT 8, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 28, 2015 Like the Expedition, but drinkable, oh so drinkable. Pitch black with a perfect tan head that lasted through the entire beer. Pinpoint carbonation. Aroma doesn’t climb out of the glass to meet you, but lingers, inviting, with definite aromas of chocolate and pine. The flavors roll through the mouth, spruce in the beginning, followed by loads of semi-sweet and milk chocolates. As it warms, the spruce fades, and black cherries begin to emerge. I wish stuff like this was brewed in my area. RERATE: I have tried this repeatedly over the years, and I should note that I think my early exuberance for this beer is slowly fading a bit. My palate has become jaded by a tidal wave of imperials that leave the more subtle complexities of this beer gasping for air. So if I had to be totally objective, I probably would lower this rating. And probably fairly significantly. But in this case, nostalgia rules the day, and I shall leave my initial, now almost 12 year old rating, intact in all its glory.

michael-pollack (4959) - King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 29, 2004
Delicious! Wow, what a stout. Smells of choclate and coffee. Tastes like the ideal cup of coffee: creamy, chocolaty, smooth.