overall
RATINGS: 252   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.73/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Per bellsbeer.com/blog , "This One Goes to 11 Ale opens with bright, juicy aromas such as tropical fruits & ripe cherries, largely derived from massive kettle & dry-hop additions of Southern Hemisphere hop varieties such as Galaxy, Motueka, and Summer. The citrus & resinous pine notes of the Pacific Northwest hop family are also well represented, making their presence known through Simcoe, Citra, and the newly released Mosaic varietal, just to name a few. A wide range of specialty malts anchor the hops to this IMPERIAL RED ALE, contrasting the assertive bitterness & juicy aromatics with a robust, toasty depth of flavor. Fermented with Bell’s signature house ale yeast, This One Goes to 11 Ale finishes with a lingering warmth."

blackflag321 (689) - Lansing, Michigan, USA - OCT 17, 2012
Bottle pour into pint. Clean red/gold color; small, quickly fading head. Big nose: fresh cherry and tropical fruit. Taste: tangy cherry, orange. This is quite a sipper. Drinking from a fresh 6-pack; not sure that I will have any to save to see if the flavor mellows with time.

paintedmaple (671) - People’s Republic of Bloomington, Indiana, USA - MAY 19, 2013
Had this at the 2013 World Expo of Beer and this was my personal "Best of Show." A huge and richly complex brew of a beautiful orange color, Bell’s knocked this one out of the park. I’ll be looking for more of this in bottles. Awesome.

bdigital (658) - Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA - OCT 15, 2012
Bottle: Pours a dark bronze color with little head...low retention. Nose is heavy on mixed berries, grapefruit, pineapple and some lightly toasted bread characteristics. Slick palate...very resinous up front with some of the citrus and berry notes rounding it out. It’s fairly sweet with the toasted malts coming in to play as it warms. Pretty good...not sure it’s worth the price though.

michaelinwa (656) - Bothell, Washington, USA - JAN 23, 2013
Bottle from trade with umich03jm. Golden pour, moderate head, aroma is mostly malt with carmel notes and a piney, resinous hop aroma. The flavor is abundant malt, with a hop presence to keep things in balance. The malt is not obviously complex, but when it warms up a bit some nice flavor come through in the background, making this an interesting brew. The alcohol is in there too, but not in a big way, and it works well with the flavor. This finishes just as balanced as it starts, and the flavors hang in there well, so it’s interesting right through the finish. Substantial mouthfeel but not thick and not overly sweet, though perhaps it pushes the limit there a bit. This reminds me of a balanced barley wine, except that it is very easy to drink. Nicely done.

gorditoabd (636) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 29, 2012
12 oz thanks to MrBunn. Thanks for coming through in the clutch! Pours a rich, deep ruby brown, with a thick almost glommy white head that glops a little before fading off. Nose is so strong of pine resin and grapefruit hints it makes me want to slap my momma. Taste is so full and sweet, yet appropriately light and lemony somehow, it’s inexplicably the lightest heavy beer I’ve ever tried! This is straight f’d up, yo. Amazing shit. Clean, super well disguised ABV. Is there mint or something in this hiding the alcohol? Otherwise this shouldn’t be possible. Wins my dog licking his own balls award...

Tinco (620) - Linköping, SWEDEN - NOV 2, 2012
Pours a beautiful deep red, amber color with a frothy off white head that disappears pretty quickly. Sweet malts, orange, some alcohol. Bitter taste, sweet orange, sweet malts, some alcohol in there, caramel, toasty, some pine at the back sweet juicy hops. Not too impressive but overall a great brew!

PGHbeer77 (571) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 17, 2012
A big beer for sure, but not too bad. It’s close to a DIPA as some have said, but you can still pick up on the red ale characteristics. Grass hop, candied grapefruit scent similar to orange PEZ candies. Bronze orange pour with a white half inch head to ring. Thick body, syrupy, sticky finish. Same flavor as the scent with a bit of an alcohol burn on the finish. As for cellaring, I wouldn’t put this one away long. It tastes almost perfect as is. If anything, I might cellar it six months just to mellow the alcohol finish. That’s it. Drink em while you got em!

RespertFTW (521) - Michigan, USA - FEB 20, 2013
Very refreshing aroma and great citrus taste. Nice bite. Love everything about this beer.

Alextricity (509) - Michigan, USA - MAR 20, 2013
I’ve been waiting to get my hands on this beer for a number of months. I was fortunate enough to find a bottle, but wasn’t able to get more. Appearance: A very nice orange-red color. No haze. A pretty nice creamy head that’s about 3 fingers in height, but it goes away after about a minute. Lacing is pretty good on this. Smell: All hops, really. Massive hop aroma. A lot of the citrus and piney aromas. Taste/feel: Mm. Quite interesting. When I first took a sip, I got a massive amount of bitterness. Soon after, you get a good burst of malts. I found that surprising at first, but then I realized I was drinking an Amber. The after taste is probably the best part about 11 Ale. I get a lemon-like aftertaste with the malts and hops. It lingers for a little while, and I like it quite a bit. I’m surprised I’m giving this beer a 4, because I find this to me IMMENSELY bitter. This One Goes to 11 indeed. Very intense -- almost too much so for me. Regardless, a quality beer. The feel is a nice one ... pretty smooth, with a low/medium carbonation. I enjoy it, but I won’t cry knowing this is more than likely my last one.

mwbrady12 (469) - Orlando, Florida, USA - NOV 17, 2012
Enticing aroma and attractive amber pour with a complex taste and lingering, warming aftertaste. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone