overall
RATINGS: 3734   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05/5   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
India Pale Ale style well suited for Hemingway-esque trips to the Upper Peninsula. American malts and enormous hop additions give this beer a crisp finish and incredible floral hop aroma.

darkstar (69) - Eureka, Missouri, USA - JAN 13, 2005
Magnificent head. Orange color slightly cloudy. The aroma is incredible. Not sure if I smell flowers or grapefruit or both. Just the right amount of malt and hops for me. Don’t think I’ve ever had anything this perfect. Everything an IPA should be. This may be my new favorite.

PhysZac (69) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - MAR 27, 2006
First, this is one of the few beers I’ve had both on tap and bottle. Tap is so so so much better. On to the beer: amber nice carbonation. Lots of grapefruit on the nose and tongue. Intense citrus bitterness is bigger than the sweet sugary sweetness, but is well balanced. Lingering bitterness is pleasant and not at all overpowering. One of my favorite IPAs.

nihar (68) - Ohio, USA - MAR 3, 2007
starts with a nice aroma of hops and fruits... pours clear golden ... Tastes bitter with citrus tones and finishes with a nice lingering after-taste of hops... very good IPA

erickomosa (68) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JAN 2, 2011
This was the beer that made me care about beer. I bought it blindly because it was named after the Hemingway story. I remember that moment of awakening, where, drinking it out of the bottle, sitting on the floor in my apartment, I tasted beer for the first time. I had the same awakening with coffee drinking a Metropolis Coffee (Chicago) Schweik’s blend while driving down Granville. Thank you Metropolis and thank you Bells.

neontb (68) - - JUL 2, 2012
UPDATED: FEB 16, 2013 Bottle pour. One of the smoothest IPA’s I have ever had. Glorious hop notes, with a fresh finish. I have had a lot of IPA’s and this one is not the hoppiest, nor the maltiest. It doesnt have the highest ABV I have ever had or anything like that. But I give it a 4.9 because there is absolutely nothing I would change about this beer. As an experienced homebrewer I often find myself thinking, oh I would add this hop to a beer, oh I would modify this or that. I cannot find anything at all that I would change about two hearted ale. It is far and away the most balanced, best all around beer I may have ever had. Cheers Bell’s Brewery, thanks for perfecting the American IPA. Update vs Stone IPA: Oh man. Here we go. Its rumble time. Im pouring six IPA’s tonight, into two identical tulip glasses so I can compare, with this one going head to head with Stone IPA. The two american IPA’s, both with 100/100 on ratebeer. Damn, this ought to be fun. Aroma of stone is nice and floral, but Two hearted wins the category. Dont get me wrong, the citrus and glorious honey and hop aroma of stone is great but it has to go up against the two hearted, and two hearteds balanced hop aroma wins. In taste Stone IPA is more hoppy, citrus and floral, but Two hearted is more balanced. Two hearted though just is so unbelievably smooth with all the citrus hops coming through still that I have to give it the category. Two hearted’s finish is better as well. Im calling it for Two hearted here. Both are epic, but in a battle of heavyweights the two hearted wins. On to the next! Into the finished stone glass I poured Bear Republic Racer 5. They look incredibly similar in identical glasses. Two hearted won against stone IPA, can it take down a equally matched racer 5? I think racer 5 wins the aroma category. Both are gloriously hoppy, but the racer has a more hop forward aroma with the obviously floral hops coming out nicely. It smells like the lineup of glorious american hops it has in it, chinooks, cascades, columbus and centennials. Two hearted, hands down wins the taste category though. if only barely. Two hearted is balanced where racer 5 is bold. Both are citrusy with racer 5 bringing out more citrus where two hearted is more floral. Finish though, two hearted wins every time. I honestly dont think it can be beaten as an American IPA. The other beers Im having tonight come close, but not close enough.

demondeacon09 (68) - Tennessee, USA - NOV 23, 2012
Bells. Delicious brew. One of the best palates on an ale I have ever had. Drink it ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

MarkR (68) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - DEC 23, 2003
Bottle <P> Warm, glowing, light peach with perfect clarity. Huge, puffy off-white head that fades here and there, leaving huge, cloud-like pillows of foam. Tons of sticky lace. Enormously aromatic nose with a huge blast of floral Centennial hops, with soft pink grapefruit, and hints of orange, peach, and mango. Underneath is a thin foundation of toasted malt and slightly chalky yeast. Flavor is an eruption of hop flavor and velvet hammer-like bitterness. Flowers, pink grapefruit, peaches, oranges, mangos…it’s all there in an incredibly soft and sticky delivery. The malt and yeast manage to stay afloat enough to provide a solid base for the hop explosion happening above. Medium in body, with a soft and round mouthfeel that only gets better with the yeast pour towards the bottom. Finishes dry, firm, and bitter, with a splash of citrus and black pepper. Through my many years of better beer, this is still my favorite expression of the IPA style, and one of only a few beers that I cannot drink only one of. My opening of a bottle of this guarantees a second and third. It’s worth noting that since the new brewery opened in Comstock, this beer’s flavor profile has been much cleaner, with much less sediment.

CPDalton (67) - Boone, North Carolina, USA - MAR 17, 2012
Little to no head, typical IPA color, little if any lacing. Smell is of malt, biscuit, and fruit sweetness. Nothing fancy but smells nice. The sweetness hits you up front, almost a pineapple flavor. An earthly hop kick follows, with a slight malt presence as it fades away. Light carbonation, nothing really sticks with you. Solid IPA, wish I knew about this a while ago. Could drink these like water.

BeerCommonSewr (67) - North Carolina, USA - SEP 12, 2007
12 oz. bottle Aroma:Sweet malty scent with spicy hops underneath Appearance:Hazy bronze with a smallish head that lingers and laces well nonetheless. I normally don’t do this but I am going to have to take a point here for the artwork on the label. A quality beer like this deserves something a little more professional looking instead of like something I printed off my home PC. Now if this was the look they were going for than bravo. Flavor:Hoppy makes me happy nicely balanced with the sweet malts Palate:Bitter hops linger quite well with alcohol present but not overbearing by any means Overall:Better than I expected honestly. I don’t think it is worthy of the 4s I am seeing but still I did like this beer a lot and it would be great for session drinking.

millysdaddy (67) - Alexandria, Virginia, USA - JAN 30, 2007
12 bottle. Pours slightly hazy golden orange with a memium-sized white head. Lots of floral and citrus hop aroma. Prominent flavors of orange and floral hops with some earthy undertones. Although the hops are featured, the beer is very well balanced. A very good IPA.