overall
RATINGS: 3414   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
India Pale Ale style well suited for Hemingway-esque trips to the Upper Peninsula. American malts and enormous hop additions give this beer a crisp finish and incredible floral hop aroma.

mardermax (71) - santa cruz, California, USA - MAY 1, 2004
bottle: straight poured into a tulip glass, creating a large white frothy head. light gold (i like gold) cloudy from a good amount of sediment floating in the glass. Smells of a mellow hop, floral, citrusy aroma. There is no incredible hop explosion from this ipa..Fairly carbonated ale, with somewhat of a thin to moderate mouth feel, and a fruity aftertaste. well balanced, but I think i was biased in thinking that it would be bombastic..chill

Oogiee (71) - Taipei, TAIWAN - MAR 9, 2014
bread, floral, citrus, spruce, earthy, tangerine,orange, red, golden, hazy, white foam, medium bitterness, lightly sour, umami, medium body, lively, spicy

TappanGordo (70) - New York, USA - JUN 1, 2014
From a growler. Citrus and pine. Light amber in color. Not an overpowering flavor, just well balanced.

randy1969 (70) - Marengo, Illinois, USA - APR 29, 2017
UPDATED: JUN 25, 2017 A cloudy blond appearance. A full flavored ale, with slight bitter finish. Interesting hop blend.

rowefam3 (70) - kendallville, Indiana, USA - AUG 19, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 21, 2007 I forgot how good this really was. The aroma is so fresh and hoppy with floral in the bakground. Huge frothy head. Lacing stays around for the experience. Taste is refreshing with the hops coming through evenly. Can’t wait to have this one on the first snow day in northern Indiana.

neontb (70) - - JUL 2, 2012
UPDATED: FEB 16, 2013 Bottle pour. One of the smoothest IPA’s I have ever had. Glorious hop notes, with a fresh finish. I have had a lot of IPA’s and this one is not the hoppiest, nor the maltiest. It doesnt have the highest ABV I have ever had or anything like that. But I give it a 4.9 because there is absolutely nothing I would change about this beer. As an experienced homebrewer I often find myself thinking, oh I would add this hop to a beer, oh I would modify this or that. I cannot find anything at all that I would change about two hearted ale. It is far and away the most balanced, best all around beer I may have ever had. Cheers Bell’s Brewery, thanks for perfecting the American IPA. Update vs Stone IPA: Oh man. Here we go. Its rumble time. Im pouring six IPA’s tonight, into two identical tulip glasses so I can compare, with this one going head to head with Stone IPA. The two american IPA’s, both with 100/100 on ratebeer. Damn, this ought to be fun. Aroma of stone is nice and floral, but Two hearted wins the category. Dont get me wrong, the citrus and glorious honey and hop aroma of stone is great but it has to go up against the two hearted, and two hearteds balanced hop aroma wins. In taste Stone IPA is more hoppy, citrus and floral, but Two hearted is more balanced. Two hearted though just is so unbelievably smooth with all the citrus hops coming through still that I have to give it the category. Two hearted’s finish is better as well. Im calling it for Two hearted here. Both are epic, but in a battle of heavyweights the two hearted wins. On to the next! Into the finished stone glass I poured Bear Republic Racer 5. They look incredibly similar in identical glasses. Two hearted won against stone IPA, can it take down a equally matched racer 5? I think racer 5 wins the aroma category. Both are gloriously hoppy, but the racer has a more hop forward aroma with the obviously floral hops coming out nicely. It smells like the lineup of glorious american hops it has in it, chinooks, cascades, columbus and centennials. Two hearted, hands down wins the taste category though. if only barely. Two hearted is balanced where racer 5 is bold. Both are citrusy with racer 5 bringing out more citrus where two hearted is more floral. Finish though, two hearted wins every time. I honestly dont think it can be beaten as an American IPA. The other beers Im having tonight come close, but not close enough.

darkstar (69) - Eureka, Missouri, USA - JAN 13, 2005
Magnificent head. Orange color slightly cloudy. The aroma is incredible. Not sure if I smell flowers or grapefruit or both. Just the right amount of malt and hops for me. Don’t think I’ve ever had anything this perfect. Everything an IPA should be. This may be my new favorite.

PhysZac (69) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - MAR 27, 2006
First, this is one of the few beers I’ve had both on tap and bottle. Tap is so so so much better. On to the beer: amber nice carbonation. Lots of grapefruit on the nose and tongue. Intense citrus bitterness is bigger than the sweet sugary sweetness, but is well balanced. Lingering bitterness is pleasant and not at all overpowering. One of my favorite IPAs.

nihar (68) - Ohio, USA - MAR 3, 2007
starts with a nice aroma of hops and fruits... pours clear golden ... Tastes bitter with citrus tones and finishes with a nice lingering after-taste of hops... very good IPA

MarkR (68) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - DEC 23, 2003
Bottle <P> Warm, glowing, light peach with perfect clarity. Huge, puffy off-white head that fades here and there, leaving huge, cloud-like pillows of foam. Tons of sticky lace. Enormously aromatic nose with a huge blast of floral Centennial hops, with soft pink grapefruit, and hints of orange, peach, and mango. Underneath is a thin foundation of toasted malt and slightly chalky yeast. Flavor is an eruption of hop flavor and velvet hammer-like bitterness. Flowers, pink grapefruit, peaches, oranges, mangos…it’s all there in an incredibly soft and sticky delivery. The malt and yeast manage to stay afloat enough to provide a solid base for the hop explosion happening above. Medium in body, with a soft and round mouthfeel that only gets better with the yeast pour towards the bottom. Finishes dry, firm, and bitter, with a splash of citrus and black pepper. Through my many years of better beer, this is still my favorite expression of the IPA style, and one of only a few beers that I cannot drink only one of. My opening of a bottle of this guarantees a second and third. It’s worth noting that since the new brewery opened in Comstock, this beer’s flavor profile has been much cleaner, with much less sediment.