overall
RATINGS: 3413   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
India Pale Ale style well suited for Hemingway-esque trips to the Upper Peninsula. American malts and enormous hop additions give this beer a crisp finish and incredible floral hop aroma.

21iceman40 (1735) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 26, 2001
Absolutely horrible tasting. Very strong with a foul flavor. As far as im concerned bells sucks and so does this ale of theirs. Everyone else likes it though, so I won't rate it that bad

Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - OCT 6, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 24, 2003 2003 RE-Rate: Another fresh bottle this year - hops are strong and sweet in the aroma, great cloudy orange body, palate is nice and thick - there's a good amount of malt sweetness balancing it out. RE-rate: O.K., 3rd times a charm. This time it's got a real nice sharp/sweet hop - an above average IBU. Still get a little metal in the flavor too, though. I begrudgingly up my rating. original: I love IPA, didn't like this very much, didn't even think it was IPA. mine wasn't that hoppy, had metal aftertaste. maybe it had gone bad? but it didnt taste as bad as bell's amber ale... I prefer this brewer's dark stuff.

NDmullet (208) - South Bend, Indiana, USA - APR 18, 2002
Golden, straw colored, almost like a hefe-weisse, with a stacked, foamy head. Strong, floral hop bouquet, with prominent grapefruit, other citrus. I'll probably revisit once I've got a few more IPA's under my belt, but yeah I liked this one.

olympian (107) - USA - APR 28, 2002
A fine IPA from Larry Bell. Lighter hop nose, good color and mouthfeel, perfect IPA hop flavor, and (suprisingly for Bell's), not much malt prominence. Not suprisingly (at 7% alcohol), it is a dab light bodied. Very, very good take on India Pale Ale. One complaint: Why is this seasonal?? But for lovers of the brew who miss it 'off season', try Bell's Third Coast, if you haven't - that should tide you over!

MOboy (504) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - MAY 4, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 20, 2009 rerated 6/20/2009: It’s like I just cut open a bag of hops and stuck my face into it. Oranges and pine are the dominate aroma. A hazy yellow with a well retained foam that would make any brewer envious. It’s still quite "chewy" and the presence of Tang finds its way into the profile. Malt heartily keeps this hop bomb balanced. This is a well crafted, consitent offering from one of the midwests great breweries.** 5/4/2009: Chewy does not even begin to describe this ’meal’. It was a nice change, but I do not think I really want my IPA’a to be as thick as a barleywine. Great hop bite to it that is evenly matched by the malts. Overall a nice beer.

InTheHopper99 (11) - USA - OCT 9, 2002
The hops flavor of this IPA has an explosive crescendo that turns into a gentle landing with little to no unpleasant aftertaste. I think a better name might be Two Fisted Ale. Other than the gentle aftertaste this beer packs a straight punch of flavor. However, that name wouldn't attract as many customers. I have to give the aroma much lower than everyone else. I tried nearly two six packs before writing this (not all at once!) I just don't get the aroma everyone talks about. This is a first rate IPA and I'll keep testing it until I do. One last point, Kalamazoo should consider labeling this as an IPA. I only bought it because of the name and the wonderful label.

joet (2655) - Wilsonville, Oregon, USA - OCT 20, 2002
Smells like DFH 90 Minute, big blunt and textured hoppiness evidence of intense dry hopping, a bit like barley wine, toasty and alcoholic, slightly soft. Appearance marred by my oily glass.

bluemeow76 (693) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - OCT 24, 2002
Now here's an interesting beer - it has quite a bite to it! This is going to sound odd but ya know how sometimes in fancy restaurants they put so-called 'edible flowers' on your plate as a garnish. Well, I don't think you are supposed to eat them, but one time I decided to try one just to see what it tasted like - I believe I was eating a marigold that I ended up having to spit out, but there is a bit of a stinging 'bite' to the marigold that I find in this beer. However, the makers of this beer must have found a good balance because I didn't feel like I had to spit it out. In fact it is quite good!

CaptainCougar (7133) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - OCT 27, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 18, 2004 Dark golden color with a rich lacey white head. Huge hoppy bouquet with floral attributes. Very well balanced malty body and tart bitterness. The finish is dry and crisp, and the higher abv is undectable. I have yet to have a bad Bells beer.

aobecksy (700) - Middle of no where, Ohio, USA - NOV 18, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 24, 2003 Beautiful head (calm down boys);gorgeous color; strange smell. Sweet citrus and solid malt combo explodes flavor on your tongue. Thank you sir I'll have another.