overall
Formerly brewed at Grain d’Orge (Brasseurs De Gayant)
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Douai, France

RATINGS: 736   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.85/5   EST. CALORIES: 390   ABV: 13%
Bottle (13% abv) and can (11.8%): Filtered.
Ingredients: Water, Barley Malt, Wheat, Rice, Sugar, Hops.
Alcohol content lowered in 2002 from 15% to 13% when brewery changed name from Jeanne d’Arc to Grain d’Orge.
"The dark amber coloured Belzebub offers an intense alcohol flavour with a strong supporting maltiness."
The 11.8% version is canned in Holland.

sabrills70 (12) - Belville, North Carolina, USA - APR 19, 2003
This beer is different. Aroma is very fruity with a hint of malt. Its color is an orange amber with a quickly disappearing head. I could clearly hear the bubbles pop, like soda. Flavor is very fruity, and alcohol, with just a hint of malt and hops, like champagne with a bit of beer added. If the malt and hops were stroger it wuld balance the alcohol anf fruitiness nicely. This beer is ok for what it is supposed to be, but it does not appeal to me. I enjoy champagne, and I enjoy beer - but not mixed together.

Ludwig (60) - USA - APR 10, 2003
This is such drinkable Ale, even though it has the ABV on a Barley Wine. It slides down like ice tea.

Gunshy (479) - Ohio, USA - MAR 29, 2003
This beer poured a copper gold color and formed a nice foamy head that left some foamy lace as it subsided. A heavy aroma of malt, fruit and spices with a hint of the alcohol present. A heavy amount of carbonation is present. A flavor of malt and fruit with elements of the alcohol present.

amx1970390 (480) - Southampton, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 24, 2003
15% version. Quite light in color. Big head. Dusty aroma with a hoppy note. Taste was of alcohol and chea beer.

belgianhomebrew (645) - Acworth, Georgia, USA - MAR 22, 2003
Alcohol comes through in the aroma. Not very balanced, but what do you expect.

BeerLimey (2155) - California, USA - MAR 3, 2003
Bright golden, good head formation. Sweet fruity, mint aroma, mild spiciness. Sweet malt front has hints of tangerine and aprricots. Alcohol jumps in forcefully towards the end warming in the finish. Pretty well balanced, better than I expected.

Drew (2470) - Kent, Ohio, USA - FEB 25, 2003
Strong alcohol aroma/flavor overpowers, if not almost ruining, everything else in this. Hidden in the background are some thin, candy sweet malts and a little oak hoppiness. I thought that it would mellow out as it warmed but it didn't. Here in Ohio you can buy 42 proof versions of your favorite whiskey in non-state liquor agency stores - that's what this stuff tastes like. not impressed.

Ida7999 (105) - Milford, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 22, 2003
- clear gold color with a slightly copper tinge, short fizzy head, very little carbonation, strong aroma of alcohol, fruity but not very sweet, malt character stands out well, acidic; strong alcohol laced flavor, candyish, spicy and peppery, very dry, has a bit of a rubbing alcohol feel

Voivod (304) - Como, ITALY - FEB 18, 2003
Orange colour with a thin head. The alcohol simply dominates every flavour, even if there are some good fruity traces in it. Really unbalanced, anyway.

slinkymello (137) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - FEB 18, 2003
I had the 15% at a local pub, and right after ordering got a look with a, "do you know how much alcohol is in this." I can say I felt pretty insulted and wanted to trip this lady... I've had the world wide stout for gods sake and plenty other imperials which are known for their high alochol content, so I said, "I've had stronger." So she's like, "oh, you deserve an award" like I was being a jerk for mentioning the above-mentioned fact. I swear, people can be idiots sometimes, and needless to say I was very pissed to have my drinking session at a place with high, high quality beer ruined by this young lady. Anyway, I'm just angry... as for the beer. Not bad I guess, overwhelming peppery, spice flavor that blended quite interestingly with the noticeable alcohol flavor and bordered on cloying. Slight malty sweetness, and great velvety palate... Decent, and not as bad as people say... and maybe that's just because I don't mind my alcohol tasting like alcohol at times if it works, and for some sick reason, it did for me.