Berghoff Solstice Wit 2004 - 2012

overall
Serve in Tumbler, Weizen

RATINGS: 130   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.72/5   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%

1FastSTi (3360) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 1, 2007
Pours to a thin golden body with a very thin white head. The aroma is orange juice and wit beer yeast. Coriander. The flavor is orange zest and tart wheaty yeast with coriander. The palate is lightly tart and has a subtle butterscotch.

hogan873 (451) - Joliet, Illinois, USA - JUL 25, 2007
Pours slightly cloudy and straw colored. The head is thin and white. Pretty good aroma of orange and spice. Fairly thin palate. Very nice taste with citrus and malt. Somewhat grassy aftertaste. Pretty good summer beer. Very easy to drink.

jpm30 (1587) - East Central, Georgia, USA - JUL 18, 2007
From a 12 oz. twist-off bottle, no freshness date, sampled in a pint glass. Poured a pale orangey yellow with a small faomy white head, quickly dissipates into a fine soapy lacing. A faint nose of fruity wheat malt, orange juice, not peel or zest, and not much else, none of the spiciness I like in a good witbier, makes me worry about the taste. Lively carbonation and a dry, crisp medium-light bodied mouthfeel, pretty lacking in the taste though, thin wheat malts, a little earthy yeast, peppery spiciness, but where is the clove, coriander and herbs, light and subtle on the traditional ingredients if you are willing to be charitable, a dry spicy, thin malty finish, passable drinkability for a cheaply priced seasonal witbier. This is a budget priced ale and I’m afraid it tastes like it, will do in a pinch I guess, but not something I will be a regular summertime buyer of.

redlem (1306) - Ohio, USA - JUL 12, 2007
OK, first on the label...." Malt beverage with natural flavors." Now when I see this on a label I think of the hard liquor products like Smirnoff Ice or the Mike’s Lemonaide stuff, so I was taken aback when I saw this on a beer label and questioned WTF I was drinking. That off my chest this is a fairly standard wit, cloudy appearance, nice head, spicy aroma and bready taste. Still has the Berghoff metallic aftertaste but not as noticable.

17thfloor (2443) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 5, 2007
Great summer beer. More of an American wheat than a Blelgian. Light golden pour, slightly hazy, small white head. Smells of sweet wheat malt.. typical cereal aroma with some spice. Body is somewhat thin but has nice tiny bubble carbonation. The flavor is very light wheat taste with a citrus finish...coriander is hard to find. It is in good balance though. An everyday drinker.

beernightscout (37) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 2, 2007
Coriander beer! WTF? I was hoping for a wit beer...Very cheap, $8 for a 12-pack at Armanetti’s in Chicago. So, I will drink my coriander beer, enjoy my extra pocket cash and never buy this again.

ganache (5910) - New Jersey, USA - MAY 31, 2007
Bottle. Aroma is a bit grainy and has an overdone amount of coriander. Sickly pale yellow body with a short white head. Crisp and lemony taste, smooth and yeasty with a grainy, biscuity aftertaste. A good deal of malt and a creamy, medium body. One-dimensional but still enjoyable - the surviving favorable wit character does win out over the stale Berghoff mainstays. Easily the best of the eight brands I’ve had from this brewer.

shrubber85 (11411) - Greenville, Indiana, USA - MAY 31, 2007
Bottle. Musty lemon/wheat malt aroma. Hazy pale yellow with minimal head. Dry/musty lemon wheat malt flavor with a hint of peach. Very nicely made witbier.

mjg74 (3106) - La Mesa, California, USA - MAY 30, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 31, 2007 Bottle from Whole Foods. Medium golden color upon pouring. Minimal foamage. Sweet fruity aroma. Some spice and orange. Sweet grassy flavors. Quite sweet. Grainy and unimpressive. One of the least offensive Berghoff’s that I’ve tried though. Little bit of sour cream in the finish.

Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - MAY 18, 2007
Herbal lemon aroma, watery body and bland taste. I can hardly believe this could be a Wit - if it is, it’s been seriously dumbed down for mass consumption. I hope I remember to stay away from it in the future. At least the label is a little different from the other Berghoff brews to help me remember it!