overall
Calgary, Canada

RATINGS: 181   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.6/5   IBU: 16   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
Signature Series
The World’s Smallest Fire Extinguisher
We have the English to thank. Having invented hot, dusty African safaris, they had no choice but to invent refreshingly mild ales to extinguish the resulting fiery thirsts. Warthog, named after one of the beasts they journeyed to see, is such an ale, reinvented with the Big Rock difference.

Little Known Fact
Why would you name one of our mildest, most quaffable beers after one of the planet’s roughest, meanest-looking animals? Check with our founder, he saw one in National Geographic once and, well, this happened.

suspect (1) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 25, 2011 does not count
This beer is very refreshing, with a lingering but pleasant aftertaste. No negative side effects. When I originally bought this beer I thought the label had two goblins on it until later I put two and two together to realize that the name correlated with the design ;)

manson (10) - CANADA - NOV 8, 2003
Nice beer. Good flavour but not overpowering. Perfect with nachos watching the hockey game.

Fiend (104) - Calgary, Alberta, CANADA - FEB 28, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 4, 2005 Another great beer from Big Rock! I found this cream ale to have a light & sweet aftertaste...but don’t get me wrong...this isn’t a light beer. The flavor stares you down just like the red eyed warthog on the label!

mathyeti (1) - - JUL 10, 2015 does not count
341ml bottle from Beer Store in Toronto. This beer is exactly what it says it is: an English style mild ale. A rich body that goes down easily, with very little bitterness. Serve at 10 - 15 degrees C, of course. Don’t be fooled by the name "Warthog" ... it’s not an aggressive ale - as the commercial description explains, it is designed to quench the thirst of an English big game hunter on an African safari!

austinpowers (2828) - San Francisco, California, USA - SEP 10, 2002
A bit light-colored and bodied for a brown ale. Caramel-colored with a white, thin head. It may have a few nutty scents, but they’re faint. It’s more like an ale, as Newcastle Brown (a brown ale that defines the genre for me) is considerably maltier and thicker. This beer is Newcastle "lite". However, for what it is, a simple ale, it’s pleasant and quaffable.

albert007 (415) - Penobsquis, New Brunswick, CANADA - OCT 6, 2003
One of the beers i like more than most. I liked the flavor alot, mild hops and a good bite. Struck a nerve with me somehow I think.

Beerguys (50) - Calgary, Alberta, CANADA - FEB 22, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 28, 2005 I found this beer to have a bold taste. Very similar to Big Rock Tradition ale.

furballman (25) - Seoul, SOUTH KOREA - OCT 4, 2007
Nice brown color, incredably smooth. I was quite impressed because this is a beer that I could drink alot of if I was thirsty and it doesn’t lose much. Good carbonation, nice taste, but the head was very thin, that’s the 4 for appearance.

DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 21, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 23, 2003 Aroma was nutty, almost walnut-like with subtle alcohol undertones, Appearance differs from most if not all brown ales I have gotten my hands on, this was almost red and very transparent, I hope such transparency is not a foreshadowing of its flavor...starts out slightly nutty...I'd say this brew is very similar to newcastle or double maxim, light, nutty and refreshing...A tad bit more carbonation than it's English cousins but just as good IMO