overall
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Ertvelde, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1398   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.49/5   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Also called “Monk’s Café Flemish Sour Red Ale”

We blend young and old beers to make this mildy tart sour ale. Light bodied with a lactic/sour nose and a bit of sweet and sour in the finish. Very refreshing!

patrick767 (4474) - fort wayne, Indiana, USA - FEB 4, 2007
bottle - Pours a hazy reddish brown with a finger’s width of head. It has a very sour fruit aroma. The flavor is mainly of very tart cherries. The body is medium and lively on the palate. It’s not complex, but it’s good.

FirkinHopHead (26) - Munster, Indiana, USA - FEB 1, 2007
Bottle. Called Monk’s Cafe here in the Chicago area. My first Flemish Sour and it certainly will not be my last. An epiphany! What a great surprise! Pours hazy brownish burgundy. Nice creamy off-white head. Sweet and then sour. Wow! I could drink this all night. Too bad there’s only one bottle. I will need more of this.

Moz (613) - Gothenburg, SWEDEN - FEB 1, 2007
Bottle, 75 cl. Hazy brown colour with a small tan head. Had this in 2005, didn’t write a long note then but the flavour was mostly lingonberries.

decaturstevo (6343) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - JAN 31, 2007
An aroma of dried roasted malt with a hint of dried fruit. An dark amber pour with a gooey white lacing that clings like an co dependent x wife. A flavor of sour sweet appley fruit. A palate that is just a tad fizzy for me but the style probably dictates that it should be that way not a bad beer. I have no idea how it got in my cellar but not it is not. An oddly enjoyable brew.

Bartzilla (624) - La Mesa, California, USA - JAN 19, 2007
Tap @ Hamiltons. Delicious. Pours a nice burgundy color and has an extremely floral nose that just speaks to you in sour tongues. The taste is what you expect from a Flemish sour. Sour, but smoother than some others with a crisp, clean finish. This was called Monk’s Cafe, so I figure they’re sharing the recipe or distributing directly through Monk’s Cafe. Great stuff. Love these sour ales.

can8ianben (1601) - State College, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 16, 2007
What a wonderfully different beer! Slightly sour and citrusy, but also nicely deep with belgian style ale notes. it has yeast, malt, hops, everything a good beer should.

detroiter (958) - Euphoria, Minnesota, USA - JAN 14, 2007
Pours a clear brown copper, somewhat of a tea color, with a quarter inch of creamy tan foam. Not a great head, but what is there lasts, providing good webby lacing. Tart cherry and citrus aroma. Tart but not funky. Flavors of sour sour sour cherry. I grow sour cherries. This is more sour. Yes, I like it. Throw in some dry sherry wine, and some sweet cherry, and some oak. Complex and flavorful. Medium body and moderately carbonated. Fizzy aftertaste of tangy lemon and cherry pit.

RedHaze (371) - Where the hell am I?, Nebraska, USA - JAN 14, 2007
Pours a murky reddish brown with a one inch tan head that fades to a spotty cap and has only a small amount of lace. Smell; strong sour nose with hints of lactic acid. There’s sour fruitiness (cherries?), as well as a bit of some citrus aromas. Taste; tart cherries and sour lemon peel, with an acidic bite hammer you at first. After this warms up some a nice oaky flavor mixed with a little malt presence kick in to off set those sour/tart flavors. Mouthfeel is light bodied, and a touch thin, but this is still a very drinkable beer. This is only my second Flemish Sour Ale, and I find myself really enjoying this style. I’m looking forward to trying some more.

shrubber85 (11706) - Greenville, Indiana, USA - JAN 13, 2007
Bottle. Barnyard, cherry and soughdough aroma. Cloudy dirt brown color with moderate head for style. Musty sourdough flavor with hint of sour cherries. Light body. The sourdough malt flavor is different - not bad.

cbkschubert (2901) - BFE, Arizona, USA - JAN 10, 2007
11.2 oz. bottle of Monk’s Cafe via trade with hopdog - Pours a slightly hazy deep amber color with a two finger thick off white head. Nice lacing left behind as the head settles. Since this is my first Flemish Sour, I’m not expecting much. Well, the aroma smells like rotting veggies or day old band aid. Quite nasty. Actually, I’m smelling tart yeast and esters. The flavor isn’t much better. Tart and estery. Medium body. What suprises me most about this beer, is there is no unpleasant aftertaste. WOW. I will admit this beer gets easier to drink as it warms. It’s just hard to get past the nasty aroma. I guess this is how the beer is supposed to taste. If I had the best Flemish sour in the world, I probably wouldn’t like it much better. I don’t rate to style, so this beer will get a little lower score than it’s used to (lack of style knowledge for this style). I will keep trying them, but will not seek them out. Thanks Steve (I mean it).