overall
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Ertvelde, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1415   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.49/5   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Also called “Monk’s Café Flemish Sour Red Ale”

We blend young and old beers to make this mildy tart sour ale. Light bodied with a lactic/sour nose and a bit of sweet and sour in the finish. Very refreshing!

RedHaze (371) - Where the hell am I?, Nebraska, USA - JAN 14, 2007
Pours a murky reddish brown with a one inch tan head that fades to a spotty cap and has only a small amount of lace. Smell; strong sour nose with hints of lactic acid. There’s sour fruitiness (cherries?), as well as a bit of some citrus aromas. Taste; tart cherries and sour lemon peel, with an acidic bite hammer you at first. After this warms up some a nice oaky flavor mixed with a little malt presence kick in to off set those sour/tart flavors. Mouthfeel is light bodied, and a touch thin, but this is still a very drinkable beer. This is only my second Flemish Sour Ale, and I find myself really enjoying this style. I’m looking forward to trying some more.

shrubber85 (11408) - Greenville, Indiana, USA - JAN 13, 2007
Bottle. Barnyard, cherry and soughdough aroma. Cloudy dirt brown color with moderate head for style. Musty sourdough flavor with hint of sour cherries. Light body. The sourdough malt flavor is different - not bad.

cbkschubert (2901) - BFE, Arizona, USA - JAN 10, 2007
11.2 oz. bottle of Monk’s Cafe via trade with hopdog - Pours a slightly hazy deep amber color with a two finger thick off white head. Nice lacing left behind as the head settles. Since this is my first Flemish Sour, I’m not expecting much. Well, the aroma smells like rotting veggies or day old band aid. Quite nasty. Actually, I’m smelling tart yeast and esters. The flavor isn’t much better. Tart and estery. Medium body. What suprises me most about this beer, is there is no unpleasant aftertaste. WOW. I will admit this beer gets easier to drink as it warms. It’s just hard to get past the nasty aroma. I guess this is how the beer is supposed to taste. If I had the best Flemish sour in the world, I probably wouldn’t like it much better. I don’t rate to style, so this beer will get a little lower score than it’s used to (lack of style knowledge for this style). I will keep trying them, but will not seek them out. Thanks Steve (I mean it).

FoolishMortal (990) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 7, 2007
11.2oz bottle. Deep red-orange color with a medium sized rocky offwhite head. Wisps of phenols with an earthen fruity tartness in the aroma. Cherry skin astringent tartness syngergizes with a tannic character. Mild mustiness emerges after the acidic flavors subside. Estery and phenolic finish with the vestiges of the aforementioned sourness. Mouthfeel is a light medium, rather dry.

Funknmilla (745) - Wayne, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 30, 2006
Ive been really fascinated with sour ales recently...and this is my second ..but my first on draft...a very fragrant cherry-apple nose....light and cidery body with a distinct cherry burst..and some green apple...very tasty and very easy to drink..dark reddish amber color with some decent lacing

boboski (1095) - Alabama, USA - DEC 30, 2006
On tap at Monk’s Cafe, October 2005. This namesake beer was what I started a long night at Monk’s with. Poured a ruddy brown with reddish highlights, greyish white head resting precariously atop it all. Subtle aromas of oak, cherries, sharp but light wild yeast aromas abound. Flavor is more subdued than most other Flemish sours I’ve had, but also quite elegant. Tastes of soft oak and tart cherries are intermingled with a little funky twist of jammy port wine and wild barnyard graininess. Palate was light and satisfying. Not rich by any stretch, but a recipe well concieved, I enjoyed this immensely.

illkarate (115) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - DEC 26, 2006
11.2 oz bottle, labeled as Monk’s Cafe. Decent aroma, deep reddish brown tint. Smallish off-white head. Light lacing. Flavors of cherry, maybe a bit of raspberry, overtones of cider. Light to moderate acidity and a somewhat metallic finish. Not surprisingly, the bottled version cannot compare to the version on tap in Philly.... still worth a try.

fordest (2470) - Santee/San Diego, California, USA - DEC 26, 2006
12 oz bottle labeled as Monk’s Cafe thanks to JHop. Aromas were very fruity cherry as were the flavors. Not quite as "Flemish" as I had expected from a Flemish. More sweet than sour. But not bad if that is what you are looking for.

pnista (1007) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - DEC 23, 2006
Pours a foggy ruddy brown with a dense offwhite foamy head. The nose is unlike anything I’ve smelt in a beer before. Truly bizarre. there’s something reminiscent of a Belgian and some brown sugar in there... but there’s something more! Somewhere between cranberry sauce, red wine, and yogurt. This is absolutely the most delightful palate I’ve come across in some time! It is like my mouth is being attacked by an army of bubbles, in a good way! It foams up agressively in the mouth, while not feeling like a hard fizzy. The flavor is again a tremendous plus. A sweetness hits, and a half second latter a tart sensing part of the sides of the tongue twinge. There’s no pucker effect, but that’s not a surprise I guess since I’m not biting this like a lemon. Tart, but still very sweet with a nicely rounded malt in the background, catching all sorts of nice malty elements. but the sourness is the star of the show. It’s almost a yogurt like sour finish with a bitter Belgian sort of aftertaste, though still sweet. Nice, unlike anything I’ve yet had.

tcruicks (282) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - DEC 23, 2006
This is my first flemish sour ale. I though the aroma was a lot like an avergae belgian but with bananas and malty. In the flavor, it was a bit citrusy or maybe vinegary or generally acidic, but in a nice way (not overwhelming). It does seem a bit empty though, especially at the end. Its definitely interesting.