Black Oak H&H Overkill

Formerly brewed at Black Oak Brewing
Style: Spice/Herb/Vegetable
Etobicoke, Canada

RATINGS: 8   MEAN: 3/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.96/5   SEASONAL: Special   ABV: -
One-off cask brewed for Volo Cask Day 2006. Hops & Jalapenos (pronounced: Halapenooooo!!!!) in a Pale Ale Cask version. Garden fresh jalapenos from Burlington and like always a bunch of hops. Lots of hot & hoppy goodness in one cask. Just right for a cool fall day. Gets the blood & the sinuses going.

Most RecentTicked By

GregClow's rating

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
GregClow (3402) - Toronto, Ontario, - OCT 24, 2006
Cask at Volo Cask Day 2006. Light golden colour. Aroma - yup, jalapeno, and not much else. Body is on the thin side. Flavour is not nearly as hot as I expected - the jalapenos are definately there, but it’s a mellow, almost sweet heat, complimenting the hops quite nicely. Not something I’d drink every day, but it’s not the disaster it could’ve been, and is probably the best pepper beer I’ve tried.

rudolf (2360) - Buffalo, New York, USA - NOV 15, 2006
Volo Cask Days ’06. Light gold. Nose is jalapeno, doughy malt. Smells like a great pizza. Flavor is dominated by jala but not overwhelmed. Peppery, light toasted malt. Honestly the best pepper beer I’ve had.

blankboy (7928) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 29, 2006
Cask at Volo Cask Day 2006. Pours a clear pale gold with a small diminishing white head. Aroma: whoa, that’s jalapeno alright, pretty much nothing but! Flavour of jalapenos along with some hops -- not as hot as I expected from the aroma. Light bodied. I’m rating this slightly higher then I actually liked it because I’m not very fond of jalapenos but for what this is, it’s fairly well done.

mds (2256) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 29, 2006
Cask. Clear orange with a bubbly white head. Fresh pungent jalapeño screams out along with some biscuit crispness. Flavour has quite a bit heat to it...quite unique though not particularly deep. The spice overtakes it quickly but I think it’s a nice experiment.

Radek Kliber (7501) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - OCT 24, 2006
Cask. Aroma: green pepers, spicy nose, sweet malts working behind (6+) Gold amber, large fizzy top. Spiced bite up front followed with green peppers. Good break from one extreme (hops) to have another. By the way cask effect was totally nullified with pepper spiciness.

HogTownHarry (7287) - Toronto (Harbourfront), CANADA - OCT 23, 2006
Cask. At Volo Cask Day 2006. Poured hazy gold with a smallish head. Aroma - yep, peppers, my nose hairs curled a wee bit with a vigorous huff, otherwise pretty generic pale lager-y - at least the peppers seemed fresh. Tasted like a pretty standard pale lager or really bland PA with pepper steeped in it - I have to ask ... why? Very weak body, not much carbonation, not surprisingly, it was pretty acidic - and it left a moderately ugly aftertaste, but then I don’t like peppers much. Ehhh - no thanks, Doc!

beergut111 (210) - Berlin, GERMANY - OCT 22, 2006
Cask @ Volo. Although it is a novelty beer, I enjoyed it. Strong jalapeneo taste balanced with a lot of hopiness. The smell was extremely strong, and was a bit intimidating. I hope they brew this, I would love to have it with a plate of nacho’s.

Sammy (13144) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 22, 2006
Maybe they will brew this again, bt it was a novelty and an enormous hophead hit at Volo Cask Day 2006. With Japapeno peppers and over-the-top bitterness and mouth freezing. Green, vegetabley. Even burnt my nostrils.