RATINGS: 433   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.24/5   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
We begin with a custom mixture of dark and roasted barley malts, then we add the choicest hops. The resulting ale has a dark chestnut color and a deep nutty flavor. Brewed specially for Trader Joe’s.

Syzzer (647) - Oregon, USA - NOV 9, 2014
Poured from 12 oz bottle. Dark brown cola color. Good tan head eliminates to thin film but a little gathers in corners. Trader Joes best brew in my oppinion. A very smooth but flavorful ale, with roasted coffee notes, nutty body. Sweet yeasty aroma

crossovert (12927) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 8, 2014
355ml bottle Cola-colored pour, frothy slightly tan head. Aroma is earthy soy with just a hint of spicy coffee. Falvor is a bit roasty, some roasted chicory notes, roasted spices, some yeasty esters. Its definitely not a run of the mill brown ale.

slowrunner77 (12043) - Reno, Nevada, USA - OCT 18, 2014
"maybe i’m splitting hairs here, but this is more like a black lager than a porter or brown. solid, roasty tones, in the nose and flavor, if a little thin. nice dry finish. so-so mouthfeel."

ads135 (4607) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - OCT 14, 2014
A pretty decent brown ale. Medium bodied, nice balance, but lacking that assertive roasted character that would distinguish it from the pack.

bpreo (2840) - Eugene, Oregon, USA - SEP 28, 2014
Who knew that Trader Joe’s brewed their own beer? Kind of random, but I’m interested. I like the tricky name, Josephs Brau. Anyways, it isn’t the greatest Brown Ale you will ever try, but they out in a good effort. For what it’s worth, I would drink it again.

Frank (4193) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 19, 2014
This is a poor attempt at a malty brown ale, I’d say. It is nice looking at least, garnet brown w/ a creamy head. It smells and tastes mostly like old roasted malt and slightly oversweet and thick. It is pretty much wince-worthy at first but after the first aromas waft away it becomes drinkable if a little bland, taking on a bit of roast coffee and milk chocolate. My bottle has a best by date five months from now, I don’t know when this was used but the term "best by" was certainly used in the loosest possible fashion, I think. But, hey, this was brewed for Trader Joe’s and sold at Trader Joe’s. If they are not gonna get it to me fresh, I am going to rate it as is, which is stale. No excuses.

kaser (6312) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 16, 2014
Black pour from 12oz bottle at home. Nutty oily aroma. Creamy nutty flavor with slight cocoa notes. Something a little off on this but can't put my finger on it. Ok overall

solidfunk (8951) - Washington D.C., Washington DC, USA - AUG 18, 2014
Not terrible. Pours dark brown with OK head and lacing. Some light roast malt aroma. Light bitter finish. Bottle.

boozedude (2228) - Des Moines, Iowa, USA - AUG 15, 2014
Bottle into glass.. black pour with kacki head .. aroma is a f xome mLts and raisen..taste is similar...nice creMy finish.. pretty ok stuffs

Idigguns (16) - Davie, Florida, USA - JUL 21, 2014
12 oz bottle into a pint glass, 2014 release.
Aroma: malt, bread, hint of vanilla.
Appearance: hazy, dark amber with medium off-white head and little lacing.
Taste: roasted, malty, slightly nutty, hints of hops and vanilla.
Palate: smooth, medium carbonation with a quick finish.
Overall: Not a big brown ale fan, but I’ve had much better than this. It is easy drinking and nothing wrong with it, but I wouldn’t waste my time.