RATINGS: 1071   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.69/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 173   ABV: 5.77%
In 1995, we crafted our first autumn seasonal—Pumpkin Ale. At the time, Oktoberfest beers were in high demand. For our version, we wanted to create a beer that was a little different than what was already out there and complemented the season by highlighting the flavors we’ve all grown to love during this time. It was so popular that it became the first nationally available pumpkin ale. Harvest Pumpkin Wheat, as it’s called now, is crafted with pumpkin and spices of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice for a taste you’ll want to fall right into.

DrBayern (1139) - Morehead City, North Carolina, USA - OCT 26, 2005
POurs a light amber with a small , disappearing white head. Not mcuh aroma, jsut a faint spiciness. Thin and slightly fizzy, could use more malt. PUmpking and apice flavors not as evident as others I have tasted. A certain sweetness, almost cloying,lingers on throught the finish. I’m not a big fan of this style, but I’ve certainly had better examples.

delmecum (87) - Western Illinois, Illinois, USA - OCT 24, 2005
What a disappointment. It does offer a pumpkin taste...but not in a good way. It was near a liquid pumpkin pie, but it kept having a sour or bitter atse thrown in. Don’t buy more than a bottle to try.

JasonG (776) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - OCT 22, 2005
Light amber color with medium sized thin white head. Aroma is malty, somewhat spicey, with hints of cinamon and pumpkin. Flavor is malty, sweet, hints of cinamon and caramel. A decent, simple pumpkin brew. just ok.

OhioDad (2492) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - OCT 22, 2005
12 oz bottle - Pours amber with a short white head. Aroma is of caramel and light pumkin and nutmeg. Flavor is very much the same.. A little stronger pumpkin there. Some vanilla sneaks in as well. Palate is medium bodied. This is a fairly well done pumkin ale. A fair seasonal. Not bad.

xproudfoot (750) - Paleolithic, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 21, 2005
I agree with the reviewer who said pumpkin ale isn’t the best idea. I seem to remember having one that I liked once, but it was in the darker beer category. This blue moon and the smuttynose don’t mix well with the pumpkin, for the type of beer they are. It does get a little better once you know what to expect, but it’s still not something I will get excited bout drinking, though it’s well short of a drain pour - it will suffice.

weepingsuds (223) - Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA - OCT 20, 2005
I would have to say the pumpkin aroma is the best part. The first beer leaves a bit to be desired with the lack of real pumpkin flavor, but it is enjoyable on the second take.

eve (240) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - OCT 20, 2005
This is pleasant enough but the pumpkin taste isn’t nearly as good as the pumpkin aroma. It’s not a taste that makes you wish you hadn’t tried it, it’s just not very forward. But it’s nice enough for casual autumn drinking when you’ve had one too many white ales.

labattfreak (58) - Coldwater, Michigan, USA - OCT 17, 2005
It smells good, but it tastes like you’re chewing on a piece of pumpkin peel. The guy who sold it to me said that it tastes like pumpkin pie. Liar!

GeoDoc (34) - San Antonio, Texas, USA - OCT 16, 2005
Nice aroma that falls short in the taste department, but pleseant overall. Not bad for knockin’ back during the game, like I am doing right now.

mephisto (1294) - TAIWAN - OCT 16, 2005
another holloween ale that’s em... maybe pumpkin ale is just not a very good idea.