overall
RATINGS: 130   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.3/5   EST. CALORIES: 138   ABV: 4.6%
Blue Point Brewing's Pale Ale has a light golden color but explodes with a rich full-flavor. This refreshing ale is top fermentated and hopped at three different stages of the brewing process. English pale malt lends complexity to this brew. Small amounts of Wheat and Carapils round out the malt bill. Brewed to satisfy the hop lover, this pale ale has an immediate floral-citrus flavor that pervades the overall character of this hoppy, quenching microbrew.

MartinT (10102) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 4, 2004
Overwhelming, grapefruity C-hops merge into orange zest formation and deftly fly through the nostril forest...Less assertive than expected from the aroma, the flavors seem to attempt balance but fail, as caramel sweetness is nowhere near as confident as the exhibitionist hoppiness...A very good hoppy pale ale, aimed to please lovers of citrusy bitterness...

JoeM500 (1909) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - JUN 1, 2004
Light yellow with a thin white head. Citrusy hop nose. Taste is huge on hops, some soapy and rindy notes, nice malty middle and even more hops at the end. An unexpected delight from a brewery I hadn’t heard of.

Eyedrinkale (3235) - Astoria, New York, USA - APR 28, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 14, 2004 Clear copper color with a nice sized light white head. Taste had a mellow hop kick to it balanced out beautifully with a sweet maltiness. I have to say, these guys really know their shit.

JahNoth (1039) - Rochester, New York, USA - DEC 31, 2003
Clar golden color with a fluffy head. Some rising bubbles and some hanging tiny bubbles was a neat sight. Slightly sour, decently hoppy flavor. Decent malt body. Nothing exceptional, but a good drinker.

jgb9348 (6516) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - OCT 22, 2003
Golden coloured body with a large-bubbled off-white head. Aroma fairly nice showing some fresh hops, balanced malt and a residual sweetness. Medium to Light-bodied; Soapy mouthful, present malt throughout balanced nicely with a small amount of hops. Aftertaste actually more of a highlight than the taste. Nice maltiness surrounded by the hop character. Little else shows in this beer, and is unfortunately low in complexity...but really not too bad. I had this very fresh, the first few days after being available in New York. This bottle is from Baltimore, Maryland (not New York) and obviously the picture on this page needs to be replaced. Worth trying, but don't expect a Tupper's Hop Pocket Ale ;-). I bought this twelve ounce bottle at Beers of the World in Rochester, New York.

desurfer (1302) - Melbourne, Florida, USA - FEB 8, 2003
UPDATED: APR 15, 2003 A great pale ale, especially for $8 a growler on Long Island. Nothing special, but a quality brew. Moderate hop flavor and slight bitterness. There is another flavor which I can't quite place. Doesn't match up with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, my favorite in the category.

apoptosis (1317) - Denver, Colorado, USA - DEC 28, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 11, 2003 Both the aroma and finish are full of a floral bouquet. Very hoppy, but it is quite pleasant and even refreshing. Appearance is golden, with a small head of foam. There is something that reminds me of the taste of tea in this beer. Maybe it is the spices.

notalush (5930) - Lakewood, Colorado, USA - DEC 26, 2002
I am always reluctant to try any of Blue Point's beers. I live about 3 or 4 miles from the brewery itself, so their beers are ubiquitous here. They are in every grocery store, gas station and bar. So, every time I go to the bar, I see people switching between bud, miller, coors, and Blue Point, I guess to show local pride. Therefore my association is, 'people who like bad beer drink Blue Point.' However, when I actually do get around to trying one, I'm very impressed (I guess I just need to work on breaking the association some more, and this offering is no exception. It has a great, frothy head and golden appearance, with a somewhat lacking, though hoppy aroma. I would describe the taste as more of 'an easy-drinking IPA' than a mere pale ale. A nice balance of extreme hoppiness and moderate to light maltiness make this a pleasure to drink, and the flowery finish is very enjoyable as the hops slowly melt away onto the tongue. My only complain is that it is too easy to drink. I think I'm going to be packing this stuff away at barbeques this summer. The best Blue Point I've had so far. Once this gets enough ratings, I think it will give Alpha King a run for its money.

austinpowers (2831) - San Francisco, California, USA - NOV 12, 2002
A very respectable pale ale with a frothy head. Hoppy, oh yeah! And that English malt's a beauty, too. Long Island's finest.

UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - NOV 4, 2002
Very good pale ale. Pours a clean gold color, with a nice thick head. The nose explodes with cascade hops. This beer is very very hoppy, with great complexity and a very delicate, well-crafted feel. One of the best pale ales I've drank in recent memory.