Bluegrass Jeffersons Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout

overall
RATINGS: 455   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.49/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Aged for two to three months in McLain & Kyne Jefferson’s Reserve bourbon barrels, this stout is a richly flavored sipping beer, with a smooth chocolate taste and a hint of bourbon.

Bill Becker (1775) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - OCT 31, 2017
From Nov 2007 This one pours from 12oz bottle(bottled 10 07) a very dark brown with a 1 finger head of tannish foam that quickly leaves the scene leaving just a ring around the glass and there's almost no lacing. The smell is delicate to me. I can just detect some faint notes of wood and maybe some vanilla? The taste has a nice bourbon flavour up front with some vanilla backing it up. After a few more sips, I can taste some dark fruit and toffee. The mouthfeel is fairly light as is the carbonation and it finishes with a bitterish hot cocoa flavour. Hmm...I don't notice the abv at all but I'm sure *that* will catch up to me later. ;^) Btw, the more I sip, the more I notice a somewhat watery finish..I mean, it really loses a lot of its character there and it wasn't exactly power packed with flavour in the first place. All in all, I'd say it 's a good tasting brew of the style but, I don't know, it's missing that certain oomph to make it special. At least, to my tastebuds. I'm glad I got to try it but it's turning out to be something that I wouldn't try hard to seek out again. YMMV.

jbruner (5277) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - DEC 11, 2015
Sampled at catch 22 bottle share! Pours a deep brownish black with thin ring of tan head that leaves light lace. Aroma and taste are mild sweet bourbon, light malty roast. Just not that exciting and a little thin for what it is.

mike5326 (1782) - virginia beach, Virginia, USA - SEP 11, 2015
Poured from a tap. Dark brown color, full frothy white head. Medium sour malt aroma. Medium body with a sour milk malt flavor and a sweet finish. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Westchesterco (2188) - mclean, Virginia, USA - JUL 16, 2015
On draft at blue 5 in Roanoke in VA it us a dark brown with a slight head. The aroma is milk chocolate and the taste is bitter thin milk chocolate that finishes with strong bitter co oats boozey flavor

Iphonephan (7282) - Jackson Hole/McLean, Virginia, USA - JUL 16, 2015
On draft at Blue Five Restaurant in Roanoke. Pours black with a thin tan head. Aroma of bourbon. Flavors of oak and toasted nuts. Bitter finish.

MadRobin (2988) - Silver Spring, Maryland, USA - MAY 10, 2015
On tap at Capital Ale House in Fredericksburg, VA. Opaque, black-brown with a light tan head and fair to sparse lacing. Aroma of cocoa, cocoanut, vanilla and roasted malt. Taste of roasted malt, cocoanut, chocolate, roasted malt, caramel and nuts. Seriously short on any bourbon barrel flavors. Medium/light body and medium carbonation. Mouthfeel is on the thin side for an imperial stout. If Miller was to make an Imperial Stout Lite, this would be it. Maybe I'm exaggerating, since the flavor is pretty good, just not where it should be for the style. Other aspects are weak to seriously weak. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

willisread (3644) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - MAR 17, 2015
Old rating. Bottle from old town. Vanilla, cacao and malts on the nose with a touch of bourbon. Tastes smooth and slightly bittersweet on the palate. Gets a little boozy as it comes to room temperature. Not bad but overall just kind regular.

DiarmaidBHK (5896) - Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 30, 2014
Draft at Flying Saucer Nashville. Pours black with a khaki head. Leaves trace lacing. Almost nothing on the nose. Not a hell of a lot of flavor on the tongue. Boring, boring, boring! Just a really disappointing beer.

Travlr (26071) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - NOV 15, 2014
Draft. Dark brown color, brown head. Aroma of vanilla, coconut, cocoa. Taste is very roasty vanilla, light booze. Tasty.

clincomedic (5) - - NOV 12, 2014 does not count
Obvious stout in color and appearance. Smooth taste with a chocolate bourbon flavor with a easy finish.