overall
Brewed by Samlesbury (AB InBev UK)
Style: Bitter
Preston, England
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 2033   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.79/5   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Can: Pasteurised. Nitro widget.
Also sold as Boddington’s Gold and Boddington’s Export.
Stronger version of Boddington’s Bitter. First brewed in 1994 at 4.8%
Creamy head and a golden well balanced body.

Brodie (540) - Boone, North Carolina, USA - MAR 4, 2003
Some subdued fruitiness, cidery notes, and faint spicy hops in the nose. Creamy white head, golden color. Slightly sweet flavor, a little fruit and caramel on the tongue. Smooth creamy mouthfeel, no doubt from the widget in the can. I realize a bitter is the equivalent of the American light lager in England, but nonetheless this beer was unremarkable.

Boystout (1000) - Chisinau, MOLDOVA - MAR 3, 2003
The head was OK as usual for such cans: creamy and tasty. But under the foam was an ordinary lager, not the best one. Amazing.

clvand0 (350) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - MAR 2, 2003
This came in a pint can with the widget inside. It poured nicely with an extremely white, creamy head. Extremely smooth to drink, and although the taste is not strong, it is very enjoyable. It has no bite, but it also has little alcohol. Overall a very enjoyable drink.

vector (163) - Dallas, Texas, USA - FEB 27, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 3, 2003 Pint can with nitro widget. Creamy, white, fine, and persistant head sits atop a golden body. Not much aroma and a mild, slightly sweet, slightly bitter flavor. Not at all overpowering in any one direction. I love creamy textured beers but I prefer the ones with more pronounced flavors (like guinness).

FezMonkey (268) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - FEB 27, 2003
Half the enjoyment for me with this beer is watching it after the pour. Thanks to the nitrogen ball inside the can it makes the coolest patterns as the head dissipates. I saw it described in earlier reviews as unremarkable and I agree but damn I love this unremarkable beer. It tastes good with everything don't let the low rating fool you.

JK (6329) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - FEB 26, 2003
I usually enjoy bitters, but this was different from others I have had. Much more clear and yellow than I expect from a bitter. Thin white head. Taste of hops with a very light and sweet aftertaste. I really wanted to like this beer but just did not meet my expectations of a British bitter.

TipsyMcStager (1139) - Calgary, Alberta, CANADA - FEB 26, 2003
looks half decent with a frothy head that stays around. Has a refreshing aftertaste but not much of anything else. I find these generic British pub ales to be the height of tedium. Maybe a step above a macro lager.

EricTheRed (82) - Plainfield, Illinois, USA - FEB 23, 2003
I like this much more on tap (Berkeley CA)than in a can (Louisville, KY). On tap it's creamy and goes down SO easy. From the can, it's a tad sharp tasting, but still a great product.

pwyman (71) - Hubert, North Carolina, USA - FEB 23, 2003
Light amber color with a thick creamy head. Smooth to drink with a fair flavor, Not overpowering.

RDeschain (11) - Rowlett, Texas, USA - FEB 22, 2003
The best way I can think of to describe this brew is "unremarkable." It was certainly not distasteful, but lacked flavor and body, especially when compared to other Pale Ales. It was very active out of the can, and seemed on it's way to delivering a heavy, creamy head, but sadly the head ended up thin and gave out early. The color was typical of the style, but not striking. Palate was thinner than I expected, and the aroma, while pleasant, lacked sophistication. I'd very much like to try this pale ale on draught and then revisit this review, but I don't think I'll be seeking out Boddington's in a can again.