overall

Formerly at 10%.

ACHops' rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ACHops (1606) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 25, 2012
On tap @ Chuck’s 85th. Pours dark orange with a thin head. Aroma is caramel malt and floral piney hops. Taste is big hops with thick pine and grapefruit notes, followed by sweet light toffee flavor malts. 10% abv is well hidden - substantial but seems smaller than that. Tasty.

Iznogud (4010) - CROATIA - SEP 18, 2017
On tap at the Good Hop, Oakland. Pours hazy orange with medium white head. Good lacing. Hoppy, citrus, orange, strong pine, resinous, lots of caramel, sweetness, lasting bitter finish. Medium+ bodied. Old school DIPA, well executed.

klm1 (1733) - Bled/SF, - SEP 10, 2017
From keg at Beavertown extravaganza in London: second day, 9th september 2017....

Beerwithwings (167) - Hampshire, ENGLAND - SEP 9, 2017
UPDATED: SEP 9, 2017 keg at the beavertown extravaganza 2017. a very good beer has a slight grapefruit taste again. liking this a very good Double and it's not hazy

Scopey (15263) - Croydon, Greater London, ENGLAND - SEP 9, 2017
Keg at BE. It pours orange with a small white head. The aroma is soft, sweet, juicy, tangy, orange candy, tangerine, candy, sherbet and bread. The taste is crisp, dry, bitter, pithy, juicy, tangy, tangerine, light booze, tangy, pine, hop bite, resin, marmalade and bread with a drying finish. Medium body and fine carbonation. Decent hop hit.

daje (4436) - NORWAY - JUL 11, 2017
What’s Brewing 2016, day 1. Hazy orange body with white head. Aroma is piney with citric notes and caramel. Taste of sweet orange jam with light bitterness and tropical fruits late in the finish. Resiny aftertaste. Not bad.

hopdog (12816) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 28, 2017
On tap. Poured a cloudy golden to amber color with a smaller sized off white head. Citrus, floral and pine.

Thisis12ptfont (1207) - Los Angeles, CA, California, USA - JUN 26, 2017
Aromas of fresh hops, tangerine, golden malt extract, caramel, pines, hop oils and earthy resin. Pours a peach/copper appearance with a thin white foam. Taste brings very fresh hops, citrus, lemon peel, pines, fresh mango, grapefruit, butterscotch, candied caramel, alcohol sugars and a slight peanut butter twang. Finishes bitter with residual hop oils, leafy hops, pines and slight tangerine and noticeable alcohol. Overall, a pleasant representation of the style boasting fresh hops and bitter pines.

dnstone (3442) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - JUN 1, 2017
Pours a golden clear color with off white head. Dank pine floral hop aroma and taste. Notes: on tap at the Brewery June 17

piscator34 (2574) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - MAY 11, 2017
Draft. Gold in colour with medium carbonation. Aromas are of potent grapefruit and orange peel, along with some substantial pale malt and a hint of spice. Fairly smooth on the palate with a strong-yet-balanced pale malt to citric hop ratio. Medium bitterness. Not quite the full on hop assault plus super dry malt take on the style that I prefer, but still damn tasty.

andrewje41 (4083) - Kenmore, Washington, USA - MAY 4, 2017
I’m spending the month of May focusing on going back and retrying beers I’ve had in the past few years, seeing if my taste has changed, and giving fantastic beers a chance to be enjoyed again and again. Though this is a regular practice for me, I’m trying to focus on it more so than usual. So when I saw this classic on tap at Hop and Hound, I found a perfect candidate for my experiment. One problem. Somehow I never took notes on this one. How is that possible? I have had this beer countless times. This beer is partially responsible for beginning my journey into craft beer. This was possibly the first imperial IPA I ever loved. I can recall visiting Boneyard early on, with Tcon25, and talking with the brewer while enjoying this same beer, while discussing beer, in their closet sized taproom. That’s what craft beer is all about for me. A beer is as good as the situation and experience surrounding it. This beer has a history behind it for me. Damn, I just wish I had taken some tasting notes on it before. Two pints of it today will give me a solid start. Shiny golden orange pour. Thin, oily film head. From a distance, a strong aroma of grapefruit. Cool flavor, more grapefruit, moderate bitter hops. An incredible hop profile on this. A huge IPA that drinks as smooth as any of them. Cool, slightly creamy finish, with another late grapefruit reminder. This is the original bad ass imperial IPA for me. This beer does not suck. At all. I guess a year from now, I’ll find this, retry it, and ask myself why I used to ramble so much during my ratings.