overall
RATINGS: 147   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.4/5   IBU: 91   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
Our latest addition to our year-round lineup. For you hop heads out there, you have to try this! This American style IPA made with rye grain tops the charts at over 85 IBU (that’s a lot of bitter!). It’s starts with floral hop notes a big malty body hinting at the underlying rye grain and finishes with a nice clean bitterness.

amazinwlrdfood (17) - California, USA - JUL 14, 2014
I hate IPAs for the most part, however I was pleasantly surprised by this one. Not only does it give hope that brewers will back off of the overuse of hops to cover their basic beer recipe, but that someone else has an appreciation for a well balanced beer.

dollarbill (13) - , California, USA - MAR 19, 2010
Bought a coupla bottles of this at Vendome in Fullerton, CA. The brewery is probably less than four miles from this store, as the crow flies. It’s a very crisp and refreshing IPA. Humans can supposedly discern IBU differences within a +/- 5 IBU range, but I would not have guessed this beer clocks in at 85 IBUs, as the brewery marketing copy claims. I’m sure my palate isn’t as good as many, and my hop tolerance has changed quite a bit over the years, but I just don’t think it’s really 85 IBUs. Maybe 50? That’s not to say it is not an IPA. Pliny the Elder clocks in at around 100 IBUs, and it doesn’t taste like 100 to me either, so I could be completely full of it. I like this beer. I paid $4 for a 22-oz bottle, and it’s not bad. I don’t think I’ll be jonesing for it like I jones for Pliny, but I can’t get Pliny whenever I want it, so I’m always on the lookout for decent, more easily obtained IPAs. This is right up there with Stone, Alesmith, Ballast Point, and Port. It’s a decent IPA. An aside, addressed to the rating below: I used to avoid Racer 5, after having a bad bottle, but now it’s part of the rotation, too. Just be careful out there, and make sure the IPA you’re buying is fresh and properly stored.

BarrettMiller (12) - Fountain Valley, California, USA - SEP 17, 2011
Inviting aroma. Starts with a citrusy spice flavor, with a strong hop body, finishing dry.

BeermeBunz (6) - - JUN 8, 2016 does not count
Looks like a brown ale. Very malty taste with a hint of hops. Lightly carbonated and easily drinkable.

DaCar (3) - Long Beach, California, USA - SEP 29, 2013 does not count
Served on tap at the brewery, poured a beautiful orange/rust color with a nice creamy one finger head. Got a strong floral smell with a nice grapefruit aroma lofting around. Drink was smooth and full of flavor, great finish along the back of the tongue.

threefrenchs (2) - California, USA - AUG 4, 2010 does not count
This is a go-to IPA. Not a hoppy as a traditional West Coast IPA. The bitterness is there, but not in your face. If you are lucky enough to be at the brewery when they are serving it out of the "hopinator" TRY IT. This process really smooths out the beer and brings up the aroma. would recommend this beer to anyone looking for an easy drinking, smooth IPA

VUrias (2) - - JAN 26, 2015 does not count
Very easy IPA to drink. Easier than a lot of Pale Ales. Drinking it out of the bottle poured into a glass. Very light and refreshing. It is something you could drink all day.