overall
RATINGS: 147   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.4/5   IBU: 91   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
Our latest addition to our year-round lineup. For you hop heads out there, you have to try this! This American style IPA made with rye grain tops the charts at over 85 IBU (that’s a lot of bitter!). It’s starts with floral hop notes a big malty body hinting at the underlying rye grain and finishes with a nice clean bitterness.

dollarbill's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
dollarbill (13) - , California, USA - MAR 19, 2010
Bought a coupla bottles of this at Vendome in Fullerton, CA. The brewery is probably less than four miles from this store, as the crow flies. It’s a very crisp and refreshing IPA. Humans can supposedly discern IBU differences within a +/- 5 IBU range, but I would not have guessed this beer clocks in at 85 IBUs, as the brewery marketing copy claims. I’m sure my palate isn’t as good as many, and my hop tolerance has changed quite a bit over the years, but I just don’t think it’s really 85 IBUs. Maybe 50? That’s not to say it is not an IPA. Pliny the Elder clocks in at around 100 IBUs, and it doesn’t taste like 100 to me either, so I could be completely full of it. I like this beer. I paid $4 for a 22-oz bottle, and it’s not bad. I don’t think I’ll be jonesing for it like I jones for Pliny, but I can’t get Pliny whenever I want it, so I’m always on the lookout for decent, more easily obtained IPAs. This is right up there with Stone, Alesmith, Ballast Point, and Port. It’s a decent IPA. An aside, addressed to the rating below: I used to avoid Racer 5, after having a bad bottle, but now it’s part of the rotation, too. Just be careful out there, and make sure the IPA you’re buying is fresh and properly stored.

kermis (14553) - The Hague / Amsterdam, NETHERLANDS - DEC 2, 2016
Bottle from Free Beer, The Hague. Clear amber with a small off white head. Aroma of rye, citrus, fruity hops, light orange peel and caramel. Flavour is light moderate sweet and above moderate bitter. Medium bodied with soft carbonation.

oh6gdx (26485) - Vasa, FINLAND - AUG 29, 2016
Bottled. Hazy amber colour with a small white head. Aroma is toffee, some mild rye, fruitiness and a bit resiny and wooden notes. Flavour is quite strong on the floral bitterness, but also got some rye, mild toasted notes as well as some nectar to it. Nice bitter long aftertaste.

olio (10544) - Tampere, FINLAND - JUL 24, 2016
355 ml bottle.
Pours clear golden color with a large white head. Malty and somewhat grainy aroma, very subtle resin notes, some orange and mild hops. Grainy and dry malty flavor, not much fruits here, mild oily hop notes, some bitterness. Usually Rye IPAs are too malty and grainy for my taste and so is this.

BeermeBunz (6) - - JUN 8, 2016 does not count
Looks like a brown ale. Very malty taste with a hint of hops. Lightly carbonated and easily drinkable.

ElDesmadre (3630) - Mikołów, POLAND - MAY 31, 2016
Bottle. Lychee, floral notes, white grapes, subtle grapefruit. Medium body, oily from the rye. Light spicy, bitter finish, soft mouthfeel. Very good.

bergstaden (3180) - Røros, NORWAY - MAY 23, 2016
Golden with a white head - Hops in the aroma - Malt body to support a hop profile that has some fruity tones and bitter in the back - Malts and hops with a dry ending in tha finish - This was nice

snoworsummer (6061) - baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAY 16, 2016
Bottle. Tastes like toasted malt, grapefruit hops, grapefruit, nutty, Light/medium body and low carbonation.

MelvinKalksma (1717) - NETHERLANDS - APR 13, 2016

Aroma:
Slight/medium aroma of malts, tropical fruit, rye, hops and citrus.

Appearance:
Turbid amber/orange beer with a slight/medium off-white head.

Taste/Palate:
Starts medium sweet with malts and tropical fruit; ends slightly bitter and dry with rye, hops and citrus.

DwarfeD (3539) - Amersfoort, NETHERLANDS - MAR 9, 2016
355ml bottle at home. Hazy orange with a medium white soapy head. Medium body with moderate carbonation. Subtle bitterness with quite some sweetness. Malts, caramel, tropical fruits, orange, subtle hops and herbs. Way too sweet for my taste.

__Rb81 (791) - NETHERLANDS - JAN 3, 2016
Bottle at home. Pours hazy amber with a white head. Aroma of malts, some fruitiness. Taste is bitter sweet, fruity, malts, pine, rye, hint of chocolate even. Dry ending, bitter aftertaste. Not bad.