RATINGS: 25   MEAN: 3.31/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26/5   SEASONAL: Spring   ABV: -
Strong-style English Ale is a favorite of those who love intense beer flavors. Malty and hoppy with a hint of fruitiness, the elevated alcohol content is also noticeable in the flavor profile.

arjoseph (642) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 27, 2005
On tap, Nashville location. I’m guessing it’s because I’ve been out of the game for a while, but this tasted like sweet sweet nectar to me (sweet being an unspecific superlative and not solely an indication of taste). Very well balanced malt and hop profiles. The malts were sugary (brown sugar especially) and lended a grainy texture to the palate, but I wouldn’t say the beer was "sweet" in an artificial way, since the sweetness was leavened by the good medium-to-full body and a soft-but-stiff hop bitterness that was like amped-up noble hops with a bit of Cascade for complexity and acidity. The hops and malts combined to put a fruitiness (warm apple, maybe plums, both devoid of any "tang") underneath the carbonation and aforementioned flavors; I would say it was more than a "hint," and blended well with the overall melange of tastes. Finish wasn’t that great; the fruitiness and grainy sugariness lingered, but not for long, and didn’t add anything to the experience. I couldn’t get much aroma from the pint glass, but what I did smell was kind of a toasty malt and a hint of the fruitiness, although both were vague. Transluscent ruby brown in the glass with darker blackish accents, grayish beige head was thin and oily, but left a bit of tracing on the side and had average "racing." I’m guessing this is up around 9%, because after three I was feeling it; the alcohol was completely masked in the mouth, however. One of the better Bosco’s beers I’ve had in a while.

ericmc83 (207) - Arkansas, USA - NOV 19, 2005
Characteristic of its style. Well balanced and hides its alcohol well. I missed having this on cask by about 30 minutes! So I had to settle for having it on tap. Oh well. It was still good.

BeerandBlues2 (13595) - Escondido, California, USA - MAY 15, 2005
Tap. Pours nut brown to cramel with no head. Huge caramel malt aroma with light hop notes. Caramel malt flavor with a spicy finish. Warm, fizzy and full-bodied.

SpringsLicker (3644) - Tennessee, USA - JAN 1, 2004
Intended for release on April Fool's Day, the brewmaster Fred Scheer says it will make a fool out of you. Indeed it goes down easy and hides it's alcohol well. A nice strong ale.

fraternie (1011) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 2, 2003
Sweet, malty aroma. Some sour fruit notes, finishes sugary. Too much sweetness for me, but well balanced.