Brewed by Independent Breweries NZ (Boundary Road)
Style: Porter
Papakura, Auckland, New Zealand

RATINGS: 9   MEAN: 2.33/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.5/5   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
Porter is an old style of beer. Chocolate is an old style of chocolate. We’ve combined them for an ale with aromas of toasted malts, notes of cocoa and a finish so silky Oscar Wilde would make his curtains from it. To illustrate its magnificence we present a mighty forest creature with antlers and a dollop of cream on his head: The Chocolate Moose.

Jimthechap's rating

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Jimthechap (2064) - Christchurch, - OCT 31, 2012
I was a little bit torn standing there in the supermarket. Actually, I wasn’t torn at all, get your mind out of the gutter. What I mean was that as the season is well and truly changing from the depths of Ragnarok into something altogether better suited to afternoons of cricket and young ladies not wearing very much, I felt an urge to drink something golden or even fizzy and yellow. So of course I have just reviewed Hallertau Porter Noir and now this. Body is crying out, but mind just won’t obey. Besides, I had sampled all the yellow stuff on offer in this supermarket (and I mean beer. Keep that mind out of the gutter, I won’t tell you again). So this one has a tough act to follow and I have very little hope of it living up to a barrel aged monster. It looks very deep brown with a thin skim of mocha head that had to be agitated into life. The aroma is of powdery chocolate pudding, self saucing pudding, cocoa and grated chocolate. There’s almost a notion of rum and raising icecream as well. The flavour is sweet and cocoa-y and that’s the enduring hallmark. Plenty of carbonation and quite pleasant in the mouth. Not the most complicated beer but lets refer back to the gateway drug mentality: if this beer is served to someone who thinks that beer is the stuff that comes out of mainstream beer taps and cans only and it gets them to realise that beer is about choice, flavour and enjoyment then power to it. For me this beer would be a good dessert match in the absence of a muscular chocolate oatmeal stout such as the one brewed by Renaissance. I think this beer has merits and the naysayers who may unthinkingly malign this beer because it is made by a larger producer (by NZ standards) do so at the risk of damaging their own reputation.

explosivedog (1398) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - MAY 19, 2017
500ml bottle, at 5.5% and sadly without a moose on the bottle any more. Dark pour with a nice brown head. Chocolate, sherry, vanilla, sugar, bitter roast. Slightly over carbonated. The sweetness comes first and then the bitterness and then a slightly metallic over sweet finish. Not quite right.

Jerepigo (1) - Paraparaumu, NEW ZEALAND - SEP 10, 2016 does not count
My new favourite, and I’m quite adventurous yet fussy. Bravo - a job truly well executed. Wish I could brew like this at home!

1.3
DylansDad (649) - North Shore, Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - DEC 13, 2015
I’ve only just got the pun in the name, Chocolate Moose. Silly me, it means chocolate mousse! D’uh! Anyway, I think they have succeeded quite well in taking a sickly sweet dessert and turning it into a carbonated liquid form. Completely effing undrinkable, eeeurgh! But, hey, if you’re into this kind of thing you’ll probably love it. Me, I hate it.

waiake (606) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - FEB 6, 2015
Bottle poured dark brown with a very brief head & a chocolate sweet aroma the taste is similar chocolate bit fruity more sweet than anything else

wellywilly (6) - Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - OCT 11, 2014 does not count
It’s certainly chocolatey and I’ll also give them silky. The one thing it’s missing is beery. It’s lacks punch and lacks complexity. Depending on your tastes the flavour may be sumptuous or too sweet. Personally I sit somewhere in the middle

Cantabrian (1151) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - OCT 11, 2014
No, I didn’t like it. No good chocolate on the nose, neither on the flavour. Not a good porter. More like an Ovaltine beer, or one of those abominable Baltic Porters (I mean, the bad ones).

h4yst3r (2) - NEW ZEALAND - AUG 23, 2014 does not count
Nice chocolate aroma. Medium bodied with a silky smooth chocolate taste. The chocolate taste is quite strong but overall I think this is a pretty good beer.

0.8
headhigh (1) - NEW ZEALAND - MAY 19, 2014 does not count
Couldn’t finish the bottle. Nasty sweet beer. Go grab a hot chocolate and add a nip of whisky if you feel the need to have chocolate & alcohol mixed. God knows what the food match for this beer is...

JacFen01 (1) - Palmerston North, NEW ZEALAND - MAY 7, 2014 does not count
This beer is a beautiful flavoured chocolate beer. One of the most palatable beers. Highly recommend and hope others enjoy it as much as me.

FrankSlack (1) - NEW ZEALAND - APR 28, 2014 does not count
Perhaps I am feeling generous but definitely worth a try if you like dark beers and don’t mind some sweetness.