overall
Brewed by Timmermans (John Martin)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Itterbeek, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 668   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Matured in oak barrels for a sweet-sour taste.
Please do not insert ratings for the draught versions at the brewpub here!

laiti (8522) - Tampere, FINLAND - JAN 5, 2013
33 cl bottle @ hotel room, Bruges. Rated on 16.07.2010

Aroma has cherries, oaky notes, some roasted malt and vinegar notes. Flavour is somewhat sour with cherry and oaky notes and some vinegar. Not your typical dubbel.

Rasmus40 (22047) - Beder, Aarhus, DENMARK - DEC 22, 2012
Bottle from random beer shop in Bruges. Clear dark brown with a lasting beige head. Aroma is sweet, malty, caramel, berries and wood. Flavor is quite sweet and slightly acidic. Sweet finish. 221212

jonhall (62) - - DEC 16, 2012
Pour at Radio Maria. Dark cherry in appearance. Very fruity and refreshing. Bubbly finish. An alternative to a lambic or sangria. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

barakihunter (201) - Brisbane, AUSTRALIA - DEC 12, 2012
Aroma very caramelised, almost burnt, but definitely NOT. Quite well done. A touch a wheat and a touch of toffee to top of a complex nose. Appearance is nice clear brown toffee colour with a tan head. Taste is wheat, very malty, but does not obstruct the palate, disappears quickly. Palate is slightly watery, but nice, a touch thick on the tongue but disappears quickly with the malt taste. A nice beer, not surprising it’s won a few awards.

joshwoodward (575) - - DEC 3, 2012
Interesing. Dark brown. Quite a bit of sweetness, but not a lot of sour, so it comes off as a little cloying.

angelkostvo (1248) - CZECH REPUBLIC - NOV 26, 2012
Color is brown-red with no head. Aroma of rosehip, cramberry, vinegar, plums and a bit coffee. Taste is a bit weird, I cant put my fnger on it but I dont like it that much. Otherwise it has some fruitiness, its not really sour actually. Not my favourite, wont buy it again

ChainGangGuy (4932) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - NOV 23, 2012
330ml bottle - $3.99 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a very dark amber-brown body with a thin, collapsing, light beige head.

Smell: Gives an impression of store-brand cherry cola, though, as it warms, some more sensible malt notes hit the snout. Still, it remains very sweet-scented.

Taste: The flavor races by tastes of cherry juice, light toast, lighter roast, plum jelly, cola to hit a relatively modest, vinegary tartness that’s instantly covered by a full-on toothsome sweetness that lasts until the rather fruit, but also very sweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Overall: Sweet enough to make one shudder in revulsion (I know I did). Like cherry cola dosed with stray Pixy Stix. Oooh, you see? I shuddered again. I’ll likely shudder again when I see how much I wasted on this thing.

j12601 (13188) - Poughkeepsie, New York, USA - NOV 21, 2012
On tap at Gingerman after our our bar crawl through Brooklyn. Pours a lightly hazed ruby brown with a thin beige head. Mostly smells of grain and cereal. Fruit, sweet, no tartness. Sweet candy and plums. Fruit and cola. Long sweet caramel.
Earlier Rating: 11/4/2010 Total Score: 3
Bottle at the Where the Wild Beers Are event graciously hosted by Mission Dolores. Pours a clear brown with a thin beige head. Spicy with a medicinal funk to it. Sweet, cold and menthol filled. Spicy fruit, very herbal. Interesting stuff, lightly tart on the finish.

Maak_d (11) - - NOV 19, 2012
Aroma of caramel, cherry, raisins, and vinegar. Very nice dark amber color and clarity- poured a very thin head but left some lacing. Tastes sweeter than I’d imagined, slight oaky notes, low acidity, roasty. Kind of a sherry or Madeira flavor. Palate is semi-thick, with large tangible bubbles. Roasty

Temptation (257) - - NOV 19, 2012
On tap. For me, too complex beer in a style which I’m not very familiarized (and I don’t like too much). Very natural in the overall, very yeasty with earthy and tart aromas also present in the mouthfeel, with traces of vinegar and wild herbs. I don’t know if it’s good in its style, but I think that will be difficult to taste it again...